Hockey Euphemisms & their Actual Meaning

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Can be as commonly used by anyone: players, coaches, managers, fans

"It's a long season." = We're losing a lot.

"We need to get pucks at the net." = Our forwards can't score.

"He needs a chance to see the ice more." = I'm demoting him to the minors.

"He's going to make some mistakes." = He can't yet be trusted in our zone.

"Might have been a stoppable shot." = I can't believe he let that in.

"There are a lot of positives to be taken from this season." = We missed the playoffs.

Others?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
"It is frustrating when you work hard like that and aren't rewarded" = Either their goalie is hot and they outplayed them terribly or the ref did a poor job

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: Couched language, lines... practically patented... and ya, you hear them all the time, and I mean going back decades..... "the puck wasnt bouncing our way tonight"..... "it is what it is".... on & on & on..... like those old pull cord talking dolls or mannequins limited to a few words or sentences that cover just about everything.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
^^^ :laugh: Couched language, lines... practically patented... and ya, you hear them all the time, and I mean going back decades..... "the puck wasnt bouncing our way tonight"..... "it is what it is".... on & on & on..... like those old pull cord talking dolls or mannequins limited to a few words or sentences that cover just about everything.

Conclusion............hockey players are very boring, and I am fine with that. Wayne Gretzky was very cliché and he turned out alright. They dislike the cliché interviews as much as we like hearing them.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Conclusion............hockey players are very boring, and I am fine with that. Wayne Gretzky was very cliché and he turned out alright. They dislike the cliché interviews as much as we like hearing them.

Rare you hear them being outspoken, Esposito's rant in 72.... certainly Brett Hull at various times... Mario Lemieux.... Rocket Richard & Andy Bathgate in the 50's who got into trouble for being so....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad