OT: (Hockey) Cities Worldwide (Mod edit post 34)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
It seems the German nation is the only strong one in Europe to protect themselves. They are in control of their country. They are strong, very good and with hockey IQ to boot :)))

There are some "smaller" nations like Polish who aren't having same problems as French do due to their economical and geographic situation. They are strong within their culture but in another way. Poland is mostly closed to the outsiders culture-wise. Not closed but not easy to get in. So they aren't anybody's aim in the first case :)

As RH will easily tell you, you can find much interesting in Poland too.

All in all, Russia is the last resort, I can tell you. At least for now.

PS: SPB is educational center. Young ppl know english enough to help you on the way.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
It seems the German nation is the only strong one in Europe to protect themselves. They are in control of their country. They are strong, very good and with hockey IQ to boot :)))

There are some "smaller" nations like Polish who aren't having same problems as French do due to their economical and geographic situation. They are strong within their culture but in another way. Poland is mostly closed to the outsiders culture-wise. Not closed but not easy to get in. So they aren't anybody's aim in the first case :)

As RH will easily tell you, you can find much interesting in Poland too.

All in all, Russia is the last resort, I can tell you. At least for now.

PS: SPB is educational center. Young ppl know english enough to help you on the way.

Did you see that Kovy signed with a KHL team in St. Petersburg?

I fell in love with a gorgeous Polish girl a few years ago. I wonder if I'll see her again. We didn't really have anything in common but I liked her a lot.

I have no idea what will happen in Europe. I'm surprised it has kept to cultural war and not yet become a bloodbath war.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah, I was just in Bergen County taking my wife to a baby shower.

We drove into midtown Manhattan for dinner one night, and it took us about half an hour without traffic. Public transit takes just as long if not longer.

Alpine, where many of the players live, is a 25 minute drive, minimum.

Newark may be 8 miles from NYC as the crow flies, but the actual routes into the city are significantly longer. It's what, a 20 minute drive to get anywhere interesting?

So living in North Jersey isn't basically living in NYC, which is what was seemingly implied.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, I was just in Bergen County taking my wife to a baby shower.

We drove into midtown Manhattan for dinner one night, and it took us about half an hour without traffic. Public transit takes just as long if not longer.

Alpine, where many of the players live, is a 25 minute drive, minimum.

Newark may be 8 miles from NYC as the crow flies, but the actual routes into the city are significantly longer. It's what, a 20 minute drive to get anywhere interesting?

So living in North Jersey isn't basically living in NYC, which is what was seemingly implied.

Did you drive through Alpine? Were you in the part of Bergen County where you go the 9W or the Palisades Parkway route to get to the GW Bridge?

I don't see anyone implying living there is the same thing anymore than someone would say McLean equals living in Georgetown or Woodley Park; it is not. However, people who live in suburban NJ, Bergen County and elsewhere, go into the city for dinner, the theater, etc., the way people do from the DC suburbs if that's what interests them.

Alpine is not where many of the players live; it is where IK was building/built a house. Yes, it takes a few minutes to get into the city; it's not easily accessible to the trains; people drive or take car services from there and it's not a difficult barring unusual circumstances to get into the city in the evening for dinner. Alpine has been or may still be home to entertainers such as Joe Piscopo, Eddie Murphy and others, when they wanted the space/privacy, but wanted quicker access to the city than some places further out.

So OT.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I was on the Palisades PW, but closer to the Lincoln Tunnel than the bridge.

And I know many Yankees and Knicks live or have lived in Alpine, so I made an assumprion that others lived there as well. Maybe I'm wrong about it.

Just making the point that North Jersey isn t nearly as convenient to NYC as its made out to be.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I was on the Palisades PW, but closer to the Lincoln Tunnel than the bridge.

And I know many Yankees and Knicks live or have lived in Alpine, so I made an assumprion that others lived there as well. Maybe I'm wrong about it.

Just making the point that North Jersey isn t nearly as convenient to NYC as its made out to be.

Depends on your definition of convenient, I guess. Relatively speaking if you want a house with privacy and access to NYC in New Jersey, Apline is a place that entertainers/athletes look to live. Based on my understanding, not NJDs specifically. Getting way OT, a lot of NJD players live in Hoboken and out in Essex and Morris Counties over the years from what I know.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Atlas - and everyone - try Europe once in your life! From not having to tip at every meal to riding unthinkably efficient public transportation, to living life without sitting in your car by yourself for 1-2 hours a day, it is a big eye opener. The price you see includes tax. Wait, what? Bike lanes, no more riding on a sidewalk with zombie peds, or roads with distracted drivers.

They were texting when our phones were the size of a shoebox and mounted in your car; T9 was not only a bus in Montgomery county. 20 years ago I was sticking my head in German recycling bins to find out which type goes where, 15 years before I saw a single recycling bin in the US. The cashiers in grocery stores get to sit. Waiters do not take your credit card and disappear for 5 minutes, and go back to process the tip in a 2nd transaction after you leave. Talk about dumb. Why don't we settle up at the table like the rest of the world does.

Your mind will be blown.

If you want the starter kit go to Amsterdam first and make your way down by train to your preferred stop - Paris. Another great stop for der Americaner on the 1st visit, is Copenhagen Denmark. Highly recommend going there. Their people enjoy about the highest quality of life you will find anywhere on the planet. Everyone speaks perfect English. Sit in Radhuasplatsen and drink Carlsberg on a nice warm day and you will never want to leave. Just leave the white sneakers at home.

Interesting discussions about countries defending themselves, few people know that Poland committed the 4th most allied troops during WWII. And of course, despite being invaded by Hilter from the Vest and Stalin from the East, two of the most brutal arseholes in modern memory, never surrendered. Bush Raik is right, don't forget Poland. Jump on a tour group / have a guide. The fall of communism started in Gdansk via Lech Walesa. Krakow is awesome too. I am sure Warsaw is good. They are rebuilding economically while it seems the rest of the world is barely treading water / collapsing.

Raik is an excellent resource for anything Europe!

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Atlas - and everyone - try Europe once in your life! From not having to tip at every meal to riding unthinkably efficient public transportation, to living life without sitting in your car by yourself for 1-2 hours a day, it is a big eye opener. The price you see includes tax. Wait, what? Bike lanes, no more riding on a sidewalk with zombie peds, or roads with distracted drivers.

They were texting when our phones were the size of a shoebox and mounted in your car; T9 was not only a bus in Montgomery county. 20 years ago I was sticking my head in German recycling bins to find out which type goes where, 15 years before I saw a single recycling bin in the US. The cashiers in grocery stores get to sit. Waiters do not take your credit card and disappear for 5 minutes, and go back to process the tip in a 2nd transaction after you leave. Talk about dumb. Why don't we settle up at the table like the rest of the world does.

Your mind will be blown.

If you want the starter kit go to Amsterdam first and make your way down by train to your preferred stop - Paris. Another great stop for der Americaner on the 1st visit, is Copenhagen Denmark. Highly recommend going there. Their people enjoy about the highest quality of life you will find anywhere on the planet. Everyone speaks perfect English. Sit in Radhuasplatsen and drink Carlsberg on a nice warm day and you will never want to leave. Just leave the white sneakers at home.

Interesting discussions about countries defending themselves, few people know that Poland committed the 4th most allied troops during WWII. And of course, despite being invaded by Hilter from the Vest and Stalin from the East, two of the most brutal arseholes in modern memory, never surrendered. Bush Raik is right, don't forget Poland. Jump on a tour group / have a guide. The fall of communism started in Gdansk via Lech Walesa. Krakow is awesome too. I am sure Warsaw is good. They are rebuilding economically while it seems the rest of the world is barely treading water / collapsing.

Raik is an excellent resource for anything Europe!

Have to absolutely agreed regarding Copenhagen. Beautiful clean city and it was a bit surreal that everyone was attractive men and women alike. Alcohol prices are horrid...maybe thats why everyone is in good shape, heh.

Not a fan of Amsterdamn. Paris is great because..you know..its Paris. Berlin is pretty sweet as well. Germany's infrastructure is the closest to American from my impression.

All this is way OT :P.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
(Hockey) Cities Worldwide (Mod edit in OP)

Who is stopping you?

Happy now...?

MOD: If this even starts to look like city flaming, it's getting shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012

These are some of the most played out and tired "reasons" that Europeans use to somehow justify why Europe is better. I've been to restaurants all over and let me tell you some of the worst service I've ever had have been at restaurants where you're not supposed to tip. I'd rather tip 20% if that means the waiter fills my glass without having to ask and makes sure everything is all good while being friendly about it.

Having a car gives you the freedom to go wherever you want, when you want without having to rely on public transportation. The US is nearly twice the size of europe so unless you live in NYC, having a car is essential.

Some of the rest of your post contains valid explanations of why some places may be better than others but the above reasons are a complete joke when you're trying to compare cities/countries.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
These are some of the most played out and tired "reasons" that Europeans use to somehow justify why Europe is better. I've been to restaurants all over and let me tell you some of the worst service I've ever had have been at restaurants where you're not supposed to tip. I'd rather tip 20% if that means the waiter fills my glass without having to ask and makes sure everything is all good while being friendly about it.

Having a car gives you the freedom to go wherever you want, when you want without having to rely on public transportation. The US is nearly twice the size of europe so unless you live in NYC, having a car is essential.

Some of the rest of your post contains valid explanations of why some places may be better than others but the above reasons are a complete joke when you're trying to compare cities/countries.

Sounds like personal preference to me. No harm in that.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

I think you're taking it too literally. Randy was talking about completely different mindsets and "spirit", not exactly tipping in restaurants.

Liberati0n*

Why would you want a waiter to "make sure everything is all good"? Unsolicited customer service should be punishable by death.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad