1714556869152.png

had this one waiting in the mail for me yesterday

Shane Wright 2022-23 SP Authentic Future Watch Black Limited 1 of 1

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
What's his card worth?
Not no 1k.

A card is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. And anybody paying that amount for a Slav rookie, no matter if it has an auto and patch, needs their head examined.

For that amount you can get a mid grade Gretzky rookie that will appreciate a hell of alot more. This is why "influencers" pushing ultra modern are a bad thing.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not no 1k.

A card is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. And anybody paying that amount for a Slav rookie, no matter if it has an auto and patch, needs their head examined.

For that amount you can get a mid grade Gretzky rookie that will appreciate a hell of alot more. This is why "influencers" pushing ultra modern are a bad thing.
That Slaf rookie card is selling for $1-1500 depending on the quality of the patch.

Gretzky rookies are safer hold, as they'll likely slowly appreciate over time. If Slaf becomes a major player for Montreal his rookie will go up in value way more though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That Slaf rookie card is selling for $1-1500 depending on the quality of the patch.

Gretzky rookies are safer hold, as they'll likely slowly appreciate over time. If Slaf becomes a major player for Montreal his rookie will go up in value way more though.
How much can one expect a $1000 Gretzky to go up the next say 20 years? Like outside him dying what would cause a massive spike at this point?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
He showed, that some cards were sold for 1000+. Looking the hype, what is making around Slafkovsky in Montreal... It could only grow.
I bet they were, but I'll also bet those prices are from early April and back, which, they were.

Last one sold for 750 can, so the downward trend has already started and the longer that crap is out the lower the price is going to fall.

That's a 300 dollar card by August if even that much unless he gets it graded and it comes back a psa 10, which it wont.

Last one sold for 750 can

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
How much can one expect a $1000 Gretzky to go up the next say 20 years? Like outside him dying what would cause a massive spike at this point?
That's my point. It'll likely go up slowly, as that aren't making any more, but no massive jumps unless the whole industry jumps up again like during COVID, then every card is a good investment though.

I bet they were, but I'll also bet those prices are from early April and back, which, they were.

Last one sold for 750 can, so the downward trend has already started and the longer that crap is out the lower the price is going to fall.

That's a 300 dollar card by August if even that much unless he gets it graded and it comes back a psa 10, which it wont.

Last one sold for 750 can
I'm only seeing two auction sales. One for $1025 and one for $1400.

Reactions: joestevens29

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Alot of things.

Outside of that sideshow Gretzky case bullshit what's out there is pretty much out there.

IF, and it's a big if, the NHL actually got somebody who could market the sport to the American audience Gretzkys cards will drastically inflate in price to Jordan levels if not greater considering just how little is high grade compared to Jordan's Fleer rookie.

And considering just how rare psa 10 Gretzkys are, the next one that sells only pumps up the lower grades.

In 20 years, a 1k Gretzky rookie probably has a value of 10k. You cannot say a RPA of Slav has the same trajectory unless he wins a bunch of scoring titles and Cups.

But I also bought a 52 Mantle psa 8 back in the 90s for chump change and could sell it at auction for over a million, so what do I know....

Safe investing> spending stupid money

That's my point. It'll likely go up slowly, as that aren't making any more, but no massive jumps unless the whole industry jumps up again like during COVID, then every card is a good investment though.

I'm only seeing two auction sales. One for $1025 and one for $1400.
Watch the video

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Alot of things.

Outside of that sideshow Gretzky case bullshit what's out there is pretty much out there.

IF, and it's a big if, the NHL actually got somebody who could market the sport to the American audience Gretzkys cards will drastically inflate in price to Jordan levels if not greater considering just how little is high grade compared to Jordan's Fleer rookie.

And considering just how rare psa 10 Gretzkys are, the next one that sells only pumps up the lower grades.

In 20 years, a 1k Gretzky rookie probably has a value of 10k. You cannot say a RPA of Slav has the same trajectory unless he wins a bunch of scoring titles and Cups.

Watch the video

Alot of things.

But I also bought a 52 Mantle psa 8 back in the 90s for chump change and could sell it at auction for over a million, so what do I know....

Watch the video

With Slaf, specificaly, I'd agree it's much higher risk. He was double hyped up, as he's a former #1 and also playing for Montreal, a big market. The most likely scenario is a slow decline, unless he emerges as a 90+ point player, which he still may.

I do not see a $1000 Gretzky going up to $20k in the next 20 years though. That wasn't even the trend in the last big surge. If you'd bought a Gretzky for $300-400 in 2004, you might have sold it, at the peak for $1500. I actually did that, so I know. And the Covid peak was pretty unprecedented and not normal growth by any means.

A Gretzky is still a solid investment, as it will go up slowly over time, but $20k in 20 years from $1k is $1k/year. You're not getting that kind of return.

The best return is getting ahead of the hype and picking up guys on the discount. For example I bought a bunch of Heskainen cards for under $5. I sold them, after grading, for $150-200 during his very peak.

That being said, my biggest overall gain was from a Gretzky PSA 9 year 2, which I bought in 2013 or so for $350 CAD. sold it for about $5500 at the very peak of the Covid market. That card is now going for $2k. Once again, that's unusual and a lot of the gains on Gretzky, and other collectibles generally, has already been eaten up.

Anyways, long story short, for a good return, your best bet is to predict which players will be good and buy their rookies at a low point. Then flip them a few years later. That's obviously a gamble, as predicting who will be good isn't always easy. The safer bet is in vintage, but that's, generally, a lower return and more of a long term hold.

You should also remember that being in a hobby is supposed to be fun. Collect what you like too.

Reactions: joestevens29

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Alot of things.

Watch the video
damn a PSA 8 on a 52 Mantle! I just had my late father's collection appraised and his ungraded 52 Mantle received an appraisal of $35,000 assuming we get it graded.

You in Chicago? My father's collection is going to be placed in auction at some point this year. Lots of cards from the first half of the 20th century starting with the cigarette cards from the famous Honus Wagner set (he does not have the Wagner card unfortunately). Lots of cards from the 30s and 40s as well. And tons from the 50s and beyond. Nothing after the mid 90s in the collection though.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I do not see a $1000 Gretzky going up to $20k in the next 20 years though.
Neither do I.

But 10k in 20 years is surely feasible.
damn a PSA 8 on a 52 Mantle! I just had my late father's collection appraised and his ungraded 52 Mantle received an appraisal of $35,000 assuming we get it graded.
Who appraised it?

Ill be honest with you- aint nobody going to give you an honest price about a 52 Mantle. Unless that card has a corner ripped off or put in the bicycle tire it's worth an awful lot more then 35k.

Just getting it stabbed authentic doubles it's value. If somebody says it's worth 35k your looking at a psa 1 right now. And if you look at psa 1's there's some that are in really bad shape. So I'll go as far as to say it's a little bit better then a 1 and considerably worth more then 35k.

Just remember that's the card of this entire hobby. More so then the Wagner, Jordan, and any hockey card ever made.

As for selling that collection, unless you really need the money, don't. A PSA 1 will be a 100k card in less then 10 years. Sell the collection, but hold onto the Mantle.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Neither do I.

But 10k in 20 years is surely feasible.

Who appraised it?

Ill be honest with you- aint nobody going to give you an honest price about a 52 Mantle. Unless that card has a corner ripped off or put in the bicycle tire it's worth an awful lot more then 35k.

Just getting it stabbed authentic doubles it's value. If somebody says it's worth 35k your looking at a psa 1 right now. And if you look at psa 1's there's some that are in really bad shape. So I'll go as far as to say it's a little bit better then a 1 and considerably worth more then 35k.

Just remember that's the card of this entire hobby. More so then the Wagner, Jordan, and any hockey card ever made.

As for selling that collection, unless you really need the money, don't. A PSA 1 will be a 100k card in less then 10 years. Sell the collection, but hold onto the Mantle.

Hindman's appraised it. Appraiser said he expected a PSA 2. It doesn't have any noticeable defects, just a little rough in the corners. He had the rest of his 1952 set at $25,000 but that set is missing 2 cards (Campanella and Ed Matthews).

Before we auction we need to send a bunch of cards in for grading. It's a pretty large collection. Highlights include complete set of 51 Bowman, 360 cards from the T206 cigarette cards (no honus wagner unfortunately), a near complete of 33 Goudy (missing 4 cards but have all the big ones).

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Hindman's appraised it.
That explains it. Hindmans is the Etsy of auction houses and I'd take their appraisal with a grain of salt when it comes to sports cards. If it was original art work it's one thing, but sports cards isn't their niche.

You have important pieces of this hobbies history, I wouldn't be using or giving Hindmans the commission when for the same amount you can use Heritage Auctions and get top dollar for it and a shit ton of free exposure.

Good luck selling, if you sell that mantle post a link of the auction here in this thread. I'll bid.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00