Hockey Canada mandate for protective masks/cages in Jr. A: What happened?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Hockey Canada branches voted in April to move to a full facemask for the Canadian Junior Hockey League and its teams. It was supposed to take effect on December 15. But from what I can tell on social media, that hasn't taken effect in either league near me, i.e. MJHL or SJHL. The players are still wearing half-visors.

So what happened to this mandate? It always seemed kind of weird to me that it was supposed to take effect midway through the season.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Hockey Canada branches voted in April to move to a full facemask for the Canadian Junior Hockey League and its teams. It was supposed to take effect on December 15. But from what I can tell on social media, that hasn't taken effect in either league near me, i.e. MJHL or SJHL. The players are still wearing half-visors.

So what happened to this mandate? It always seemed kind of weird to me that it was supposed to take effect midway through the season.

MJHL hasn't gone yet due to supply chain issues and costs. To order 30 plus cages per team on short notice wasn't going to work.

I believe the MJHL will adopt the rule for next year.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

FrozenPonds

Feb 12, 2023
Not too many leagues outside of the "braintrust" in Ontario are on board with it!

The CJAHL is about to implode my friends! As with any Hockey Canada entity they still believe that sanctioning is a weapon. Not so much after the last 18 months!

Look for the NCDC to really start to make headway into Canada.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
MJHL players are in cages this season but it looks like some older players are grandfathered under the old rules and still have visors.

Is the CHL next?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad