Hockey biopics you'd like to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
We don't see many hockey biopics, a big reason is probably because most players who are old enough to have a movie made about them are Canadian and we have a weak film industry. So who would you like to see a film made about? Films have already been made about Maurice Richard, the 1980 US Olympic team and the first NHL players union. I've heard that one is in the works about Bill Barilko but we'll have to see if it's actually made. He doesn't seem to be very well-known anymore but I think a film about Howie Morenz would be great. It's not as inspiring as "Miracle on Ice" but the Summit Series would probably make a good movie as well.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Anything about any kind of soviet hockey, '72 olympics, '76 central red army vs flyers, anything like that because that era of hockey really intrigues me

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
A movie about Eagleson would certainly be interesting (as long as he didn't profit from it). Bobby hull would also be an interesting subject. Likewise the Leafs of the 30's with all their colourful characters- Clancy, Conacher, Jackson, Cotten, Horner etc. The Patrick family, The bentleys, The Conachers etc. All these hockey family dynasties would make interesting films.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
How about the early fifties Czechoslovakian team that was better than the Russians and... some suddenly died in a mysterious plane crash and the Soviets found excuse to send the rest to a Siberian labour camp, wiping out the rest of the team, except for a couple who defected to Great Britain.

There's a story that deserves high billing!

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The Stastny family. Europe's answer to the Staals and Sutters, except with Communism thrown in.

Ogopogo*

Canadarocks said:
We don't see many hockey biopics, a big reason is probably because most players who are old enough to have a movie made about them are Canadian and we have a weak film industry. So who would you like to see a film made about? Films have already been made about Maurice Richard, the 1980 US Olympic team and the first NHL players union. I've heard that one is in the works about Bill Barilko but we'll have to see if it's actually made. He doesn't seem to be very well-known anymore but I think a film about Howie Morenz would be great. It's not as inspiring as "Miracle on Ice" but the Summit Series would probably make a good movie as well.

A film about the "great expansion" would be very good. In 1967 the league doubled from 6 to 12 teams my favorite period in hockey began. (1967 - 1994)

puckhead103*

Canadarocks said:
a biopic of the tragic life of terry sawchuk......

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
puckhead103 said:
a biopic of the tragic life of terry sawchuk......

I thought about that but I wondered if it would be too depressing. It seems that being a good goalie was the only thing that went right for the poor guy.

I thought about Bobby Orr but at first wondered if he had too easy of a life to make a good movie. Now I'm not sure. He may have started off very well but later had horrific knee injuries and got screwed over by his agent. Those things may make a good movie.

Stan Mikita might be good. I always thought his life was interesting, the way his parents smuggled him out of Czechslovakia to live with his aunt and uncle and encountered prejudice. Then later how he became a tough hockey superstar who later became a Lady Byng candidate.

Are there any Russian hockey players that would be interesting subjects? I've always found Valeri Kharlamov fascinating.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Great ideas for movies on various players. Hopefully, some of the suggestions may happen.

Maurice Richard - Movie completed and coming to Ontario in March. There have
been a number of mini-series and documentaries.

Bill Barilko - the rights have been bought by a U.S. producer and he's trying to 'sell'
the concept in Hollywood. So, its pending. Leafs TV did a documentary on Barilko

Howie Morenz - No movie plans but a doc has been made

1972 Summitt Series - Many docs but the movie has finished production and may air on the CBC in the spring. That should be fun.

Bobby Orr - No movie but a few docs have been made. Orr would probably not agree to a movie

Bobby Hull - A couple of docs, one unflattering. I doubt that Hull would agree to have a movie to be made as he's very suspicious of what the movie will tell.

Leafs of the 1930's - Sounds like something for Leafs TV to do.

Herb Carnegie - The movie hasn't been done but the uncertainty has prevented a documentary being made at this time.

The Stastny Brothers - That story still hasn't been told and probably couldn't be told in the past for political and personal reasons. It would be quite a story

Great Expansion - another great idea and a favourite of mine. Nothing has been done on that.

Sawchuk - It would make a great movie. There has been a script for a Gump Worsley movie and talk about a Sawchuk one.

Gretzky - There was one on Walter recently but have heard nothing about Wayne. There have been a number of docs and a 'Life and Times' show.

Canadarocks said:

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
I´d like to see a movie (or documentary) about Soviet Union - Czechoslovakia rivarly from, say, 1968 (you know what happened then) to 1979. To me, it´s the most interesting rivarly after the Canada - Russia one. And almost all of my favorite players played on those two teams.

Last edited:

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
"Dye Hard" - the story of Cecil "Babe" Dye
"About Schmidt" - the life and times of a Boston Legend, Milt Schmidt
"Moscow on the Hudson" - the day the Devils sent Alexander Mogilny to Albany
"The King and I" - Michael Moore trying to interview Luc Robitaille

But seriously, why not a movie about Lord Fredrick Arthur Stanley?

Donnybrook #16

Jan 12, 2006
Ogopogo said:
A film about the "great expansion" would be very good. In 1967 the league doubled from 6 to 12 teams my favorite period in hockey began. (1967 - 1994)

It'd be awsome cuz thats my favorite period too! :yo:

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
McDonald19 said:
I assume a really good Wayne Gretzky biopic will be made at some point.

It probably will but I'm skeptical about it's entertainment value. I remember how dull The Pride of the Yankees was in the middle. That was because between when Lou Gehrig made it to the Yankees and when he was diagnosed with his terminal illness, his life was boring. He was a nice guy with a stable marriage and no scandal. From what I know, Wayne Gretzky's life was like that without the interesting beginning and end. He was primed to be a superstar from an early age, joined to NHL, became a big star and retired at thirty eight while he was still fairly healthy. All the while he caused no real trouble. Most of the interesting stuff that happened to him was on the ice so a DVD like Total Gretzky would probably be enough. Of course, maybe a good filmmaker would make a movie about Wayne Gretzky's life interesting.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
No, it was a film just on Morenz. It was done with the assistance of the family. I don't think it was televised on a network. The 'People's History' series will take a good look at the Morenz story.

chooch said:
You mean Les Canadiens?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I don't know how much interest there will be for a movie on Lord Stanley. He did donate the trophy for the 'Dominion Champions' and was Governor General. And his sons daughters also played hockey.

Did you know that the oldest voice recording in history is Lord Stanley speaking?

KingsFanInRI said:
"Dye Hard" - the story of Cecil "Babe" Dye

But seriously, why not a movie about Lord Fredrick Arthur Stanley?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
The Czechs are big into film making now. Besides, they are the only ones that
can capture the emotion (or hate) from that time. There is video of those tense games (and the Russian invasion).
In case anyone wants to know why Jagr wears sweater # 68 - that's the reason.

Marcus-74 said:
I´d like to see a movie (or documentary) about Soviet Union - Czechoslovakia rivarly from, say, 1968 (you know what happened then) to 1979. To me, it´s the most interesting rivarly after the Canada - Russia one. And almost all of my favorite players played on those two teams.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Mario Lemieux seems like a really obvious candidate once he retires again

Personally, I would love to see a well done Summit Series film, from the Canadian point of view. The reaction around the country, what it was like in the dressing room, etc. And lots of Phil Esposito.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The WHA, the Sutter brothers, Bob Clarke, Terry Sawchuk, Steve Yzerman, and the history of the Oakland/California Seals.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I'd love to see anything revolving around the WHA. I just finished reading a book by Vancouver Province columnist Ed Willes called The Rebel League which outlined the short but crazy history of the league.

Also something about the turbulent life of Derek Sanderson would be neat.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Kirk Pedersen said:
I'd love to see anything revolving around the WHA. I just finished reading a book by Vancouver Province columnist Ed Willes called The Rebel League which outlined the short but crazy history of the league.

Also something about the turbulent life of Derek Sanderson would be neat.

I was just about to edit my last post to include him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->