Hockey Art (paintings, statues, murals, poems, lyrics, newspaper drawings, editorial cartoons, etc)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
wolverine-hockey.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This is a classic joke by one HHOFer about another HHOFer:

Canada's Sports Hall of Fame said:
When the witty and long-retired Babe Pratt was asked back in the 1970s how many goals the great Cyclone Taylor would score if he played in today's NHL, he answered calmly, "Oh, about 20." The interviewer was dumbstruck and followed up, "But, Babe, Cyclone was the greatest player of his day! How can you say he'd score only 20 goals now?" Nonplussed, Pratt said, "Yes, but the man's 90 years old."

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: Yep, and others, one old timer (name escapes) when asked about Gretzky claimed "he'd have been thrown over the boards unconscious"..... also that Wolverine image above certainly works well. Very trippy.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
For over 50 years, Terry Mosher has been the editorial cartoonist at first the Montreal Star, then the Gazette, appearing under the pen name Aislin he regularly produces sport themed cartoons, mainly baseball but a fair amount of hockey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Mosher

A few of his more recent colour renderings follow.
Canadiens making the playoffs. 40th Anniversary of the Super Series, Red Fisher,
000Aislin01.jpg
000Aislin02.jpg
000Aislin03.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :) Gotta love Aislins' work. Sort of a cross between Edward Gorey & Charles Addams.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Aislin also created political cartoons -- somewhere I've got an Aislin collection that is 35-plus years old, and Pierre Trudeau is still Canada's Prime Minister (Aislin harpooned him and all politicians with obvious glee).

Reactions: Killion

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
normal.png
A 1969 magazine ad for Riviera slacks, featuring Derek Sanderson. Didn't he one tell a reporter that his pre-game meal consisted of "a steak and a blonde?" Guess he's just picking up some groceries here ..

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
View attachment 80885 A 1969 magazine ad for Riviera slacks, featuring Derek Sanderson. Didn't he one tell a reporter that his pre-game meal consisted of "a steak and a blonde?" Guess he's just picking up some groceries here ..

.... :laugh: I remember that & knew the Krangle family who owned Riviera Slacks which was based in Toronto. Huge hockey fans..... did come out with some crazy/loud fabrications with their casual & golfwear.

Last edited:

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Most people are familiar with the paintings of Ken Danby. Even if the name doesn't ring a bell, prints of the first two paintings hang in offices across Canada.

But the third painting has a neat story. In 1992, Ron Joyce, co-founder of the Tim Horton's chain, commissioned Danby to create a new image of Horton to hang in all of the franchises. Unfortunately, a dispute with Mrs. Horton led to the wholesale removal of the prints a few years later.

Joyce owns the original and loaned it to the Art Gallery of Hamilton in 2016 when they mounted a Ken Danby showing. I love the "3 Tims" Danby created in one painting.

images-16.jpeg

2017-10-22-12-41-42-.jpeg

images-15.jpeg

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Here's an odd item from the Canadian Museum of History:
"The production and sale of this specially canned Maurice "Rocket" Richard soup followed the rioting of Montréal hockey fans on March 17, 1955. The riot was a reaction to the suspension of Richard by NHL President Clarence Campbell."

can-img2009-0192-0008-dm.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
^^^^ Art, indeed, in the aftermath of Andy Warhol.

Speaking of Warhol, I remember I was graduating high school when he died, but I have no recollection of ever having known he had made Gretzky a subject of his artwork in 1984:

warhol-gretzky-306-framed.jpg

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad