Hockey Art (paintings, statues, murals, poems, lyrics, newspaper drawings, editorial cartoons, etc)

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Old postcard
hockeystricken.png

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: yeah, I guess, if your like 12..... or mebbe in your "Man Cave"? Might be fun.... Reminds me, just yesterday I was out & about in Vancouver and at Broadway & Cambie... strangest damn thing.... up on a wall about 25' up, outside & all weatherbeaten right by a Skytrain Station are 4 poster sized full color drawings of a circa 1940's Blackhawk, Ranger, Red Wing & Bruin. Like hand drawn & done quite well, each one roughly 17" wide by 24" long, and like just taped & stapled up there by some street artist God only knows when. All tattered & rain soaked to Hell but still quite vivid & really quite nicely executed. Still, just too funny. Bizarre.... left me wondering "why"? for one thing & for another, what happened to the Leaf & Canadiens player that surely mustve been there at one time as well.... oh well.... lifes mysteries....

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
^^^ :laugh: yeah, I guess, if your like 12..... or mebbe in your "Man Cave"? Might be fun....
:groucho: I am single (no wife to tell me how to style a room), and how do you know about my man cave?

Reminds me, just yesterday I was out & about in Vancouver and at Broadway & Cambie... strangest damn thing.... up on a wall about 25' up, outside & all weatherbeaten right by a Skytrain Station are 4 poster sized full color drawings of a circa 1940's Blackhawk, Ranger, Red Wing & Bruin. Like hand drawn & done quite well, each one roughly 17" wide by 24" long, and like just taped & stapled up there by some street artist God only knows when. All tattered & rain soaked to Hell but still quite vivid & really quite nicely executed. Still, just too funny. Bizarre.... left me wondering "why"?
Why? I dunno whether to question your hockey history appreciation, general hockey fandom or sense of art.

I offered $300 to buy a metal sign of the 1934 Chicago Blackhawks that was propped up in a coffee shop in South Korea. I dunno if it is real or just knock-off memorabilia, but it looks real, and the coffee shop owner had bought it at a flea market in America on one of her trips there. That was the year the franchise won its first Stanley Cup.

It's a metal sign with the name and year and this logo on it:

Chicago-Blackhawks-Original-Logo.png

Here's the team in a historical photo:
ChicagoBlackhawks1934CupChampions.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: ... oh, I "appreciated" seeing those 4 poster sized drawings... wondered how I might go about ripping them off actually but, very high traffic area & you'd need a ladder... fake maintenance man suit, hard hat & reflector vest, look all official like then... maybe... ja, doable..... And I'm guessing the coffee shop proprietor sold you that Blackhawks sign?... Cool item.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
And I'm guessing the coffee shop proprietor sold you that Blackhawks sign?... Cool item.
No, no, MUCH worse!

She said she would give it to me FREE when I was leaving Jeju Island. Two years later my employer suddenly didn't renew my yearly contract and so I took a job on the mainland and the coffee owner was away on a trip in America! Agggghhh! I was tempted to just lift it, as I could always claim what she had said. But I didn't. I plan to return to the island (it's nicknamed "Korea's Hawaii" as it is the biggest island of the nation and has the two southernmost cities on it) next year and claim it from her. I just hope she hasn't sold the biz or else ditched it having forgotten my keen interest and sincere desire to buy it (she thought I was joking, as she paid only a few bucks at a flea market and thought it not worth what I thought it was - ugh Koreans don't appreciate hockey, they really don't. Baseball and basketball are huge here, but not ice hockey, hence why it's so easy for me to get tickets to Canada's Olympic games next February as well as bronze and gold medal games).

Jiri Slegr celebrates a Czechoslovakian opening round Olympic win in 1992 over the ex-Soviet "Unified" team 3-2 in Albertville, France (a tourney Canadians conveniently forget: Joe Juneau led the tourney in scoring, Lindros was 5th behind Selanne, Lang and Khomutov, but Sean Burke couldn't win the gold medal game).

sport-1992-winter-olympic-games-albertville-france-ice-hockey-unified-picture-id78954682

EDIT: I'd almost forgotten this is a thread about ART other than photography!

Here, I dug up a Czechoslovakian painting about an Winter Olympic game:

il_340x270.1278429382_eops.jpg

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Poem from English newspaper from 1870. I think enough related... Those who are more poetic than me can tell if it´s good or bad :)

London Man About Town
London, Middlesex
Saturday, January 15, 1870

Mr. Augustus Clarence Brown.
Invented a patent unguent,
And sent out circulars through the town;
And to buy it the old and young went.
It cured four blind men and an old deaf lord,
And a bootmaker whose left lung went;
And the fame of his patent was noised abroad,
The fame of his wonderful unguent.
A man playing hockey on the ice
Fell in a hole where the bung went,
And though nearly drowned they applied in a trice
This famous healing unguent.

C. F. R.

Reactions: Killion

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I'd imagine that many posters here have never heard of the late Al Purdy (1918-2000), a gentleman I personally rank as the finest free verse poet Canada has ever produced.

Many of his works are just stunningly evocative, and if the members here don't mind, I'm going to post part of Purdy's poem "Hockey Players," but I'd recommend that you Google the poem and read the work in its entirety.

Here's a sample:

HOCHEY PLAYERS
By Al Purdy

What they worry about most is injuries
broken arms and legs and
fractured skulls opening so doctors
can see such bloody beautiful things almost
not quite happening in the bone rooms
as they happen outside

And the referee?
He’s right there on the ice
not out of sight among the roaring blue gods
of a game played for passionate stockbrokers
children wearing business suits
and a nation of television agnostics
who never agree with the referee and applaud
when he falls flat on his face

On a breakaway
the centreman carrying the puck
his wings trailing a little
on both sides why
I’ve seen the aching glory of a resurrection
in their eyes
if they score
but crucifixion‘s agony to lose
—the game?

There is much more to the poem -- that's just the opening.

Reactions: Killion

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ANY poem with the word "hockey" in it prior to 1900 is indeed worthy! (Heck, any from before WWII, even if terrible is noteworthy!)

A man playing hockey on the ice
Fell in a hole where the bung went,...
Yeah, the bung was the cow patty, I recall from hockey history books. Sometimes horse patties, the poo of these animals would freeze and be used prior to pucks and superior to balls in terms of ice slipperiness. Hockey players in -10 C weather would follow horses or cows awaiting the next bung for their game.

Surfers have no idea that "Cowabunga!" did not originate on T.V. but is about crap, literally. People assume all knowledge is now on the Internet, but there's a lot of misinformation and gaps that remain in libraries in dust-covered books few of us dip into.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
from LAC poster ad for Dominion Bridge Company.
"Inscription: ...This poster is the first in a new series prepared especially for the customers of Dominion Bridge Steel Service. When the need is for steel, we hope you'll keep us in mind. Serving you well isn't just a goal with us. It's the whole blessed game...Text copyright Dominion Bridge Company Limited... (Partial Transcription)"
c110352k-v8.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :moose: Nice series of posts greyraven. Particularly fond of Queen Elizabeth & the Molson Ice mask poster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->