Hockey’s Future Top 50 NHL Prospects, 1-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
What a buffalo biast list. Miller and Vanek both in the top ten. Vanek had an ugly year, wasn't niminated by his team for Hobey and licked at the WJC while showing no work ethic whatsoever. Miller has had plenty of opportunites to make the NHL and has licked every time called up. How about trying to be non biast when making up a list that will go up on this site.

db23

It seems to me that by placing Dion Phaneuf so high on the list (he is good but not THAT good), the "experts" then felt compelled to put the two defensemen drafted ahead of him way higher than warranted as well. Coburn has not improved in 3 seasons in the WHL. He looks like another Mike Rathje, at best. Suter did nothing remarkable in the NCAA. He wasn't even able to make the Conference All Star teams. Danny Richmond who is just a few months older and about the same size outperformed Suter at the WJC. Along with a pile of other defensemen who didn't make the list. Suter had about the same freshman numbers as Mike Komisarek and he is about half the size. Matthew Carle had a much better freshman season in the WCHA and he isn't on the list. :shakehead

In terms of Zherdev, he played more minutes this season than Mike Komisarek who wasn't eligible I presume. :dunno:

Save this, it'll be good for a laugh in a couple of years.

leafaholix*

Braydon Coburn's way too high... he really hasn't done anything this year... and he's a top 10 prospect?

He was average at best at the 2004 WJC for Canada.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
zetterberg40 said:
No babchuk or Kahnberg on the entire list...wow...

Dissapointed with this list in a lot of areas :/. Shishkanov should have been there, but I digress. I feel like this list is a step back from ones in the past.......Here is to hoping that next years is better.

P.S. Suter is still better than Phaneuf, he just doesn't play for Team Canada with Pierre Mcguire orgasming over him :yo:

db23 said:
It seems to me that by placing Dion Phaneuf so high on the list (he is good but not THAT good), the "experts" then felt compelled to put the two defensemen drafted ahead of him way higher than warranted as well. Coburn has not improved in 3 seasons in the WHL. He looks like another Mike Rathje, at best. Suter did nothing remarkable in the NCAA. He wasn't even able to make the Conference All Star teams. Danny Richmond who is just a few months older and about the same size outperformed Suter at the WJC. Along with a pile of other defensemen who didn't make the list. Suter had about the same freshman numbers as Mike Komisarek and he is about half the size. Matthew Carle had a much better freshman season in the WCHA and he isn't on the list. :shakehead

I disagree strongly. This is the problem with statistical based analysis......you miss all the hard work and superb play. One other thing: Suter was a horse at the WJC's. He logged monster minutes every game, and played extremely well in all aspects. I'm not sure how you came up with this, as scouts, coaches, as well as a lot of very respectable prospect informants here at HF love the kid to death. :dunno:

Last edited:

leafaholix*

Phaneuf is the best defensive prospect.

There isn't a doubt in my mind... he's the best two-way (defenseman) prospect in a while.

Suters wicked too... but he's no Phaneuf.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Leafaholix said:

There isn't a doubt in my mind... he's the best two-way (defenseman) prospect in a while.

We shall see. I think Phaneuf is a great defensive prospect, but I believe he has been grossly overrated since being selected by a Canadian team and playing for Team Canada. I'm not undermining his achievements in any way, shape, or form. I just think its a tendency of the Canadian media to hype the talent that stays at home. It certainly doesn't help Suter's case when the only media outlet that covers him in international play is TSN, when he is playing against Team Canada. :/

Besides, Calgary and Nashville have a huge rivalry brewing. Its only natural to extend that off the ice to the prospect arena :lol

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
db23 said:
In terms of Zherdev, he played more minutes this season than Mike Komisarek who wasn't eligible I presume. :dunno:

Zherdev played more minutes, but Komisarek spent more time in the NHL.

Komisarek was scratched for 18 games this year... Zherdev only missed 2.

Zherdev - 59 gms in NHL
Konisarek - 64 gms in NHL

Probably doesnt matter... but I thought I would point it out.

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Leafaholix said:

Yeah, Dion Phaneuf is the best two-way defenseman since let see... Joni Pitkanen and Jay Bouwmeester two year ago.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Enoch said:
I disagree strongly. This is the problem with statistical based analysis......you miss all the hard work and superb play. One other thing: Suter was a horse at the WJC's. He logged monster minutes every game, and played extremely well in all aspects. I'm not sure how you came up with this, as scouts, coaches, as well as a lot of very respectable prospect informants here at HF love the kid to death. :dunno:

Don't both arguing with him. He's so madly in love with Komisarek and his massive upside that he just can't view other defensive prospects the same any more.

db23

Ejh18 said:
Zherdev played more minutes, but Komisarek spent more time in the NHL.

Komisarek was scratched for 18 games this year... Zherdev only missed 2.

Zherdev - 59 gms in NHL
Konisarek - 64 gms in NHL

Probably doesnt matter... but I thought I would point it out.

Komisarek only averaged 12 minutes a game for 46 games (about 550 minutes) while Zherdev averaged about 18 minutes a game for 59 games (1070 minutes approx.) So actually Zherdev played twice as much as Komo. To me that should make him less a "prospect", not more. I'm sure there are other "former prospects" who fall into the same category. No biggy as you say.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
JasonMacIsaac said:
What a buffalo biast list. Miller and Vanek both in the top ten. Vanek had an ugly year, wasn't niminated by his team for Hobey and licked at the WJC while showing no work ethic whatsoever. Miller has had plenty of opportunites to make the NHL and has licked every time called up. How about trying to be non biast when making up a list that will go up on this site.

No, if it were Buffalo biased, Paille would have at least made the top 30. Instead, he's not even on the top 50. Even with Vanek's lack of work ethic, you can't question his skill. Miller is still a prospect. If Miller was given the same chances Fluery did at the NHL level, he'd probably be the starter in Buffalo.

db23

Hockeycrazed07 said:
You say that as if it's a bad thing. Apparently, being among the best defensive D in the NHL isn't good enough for you?

~Crazed.

Yeah, but he is 30 years old and at the peak of his game, and as I said "...Rathje, AT BEST...".

leafaholix*

Enoch said:
We shall see. I think Phaneuf is a great defensive prospect, but I believe he has been grossly overrated since being selected by a Canadian team and playing for Team Canada. I'm not undermining his achievements in any way, shape, or form. I just think its a tendency of the Canadian media to hype the talent that stays at home. It certainly doesn't help Suter's case when the only media outlet that covers him in international play is TSN, when he is playing against Team Canada. :/

Besides, Calgary and Nashville have a huge rivalry brewing. Its only natural to extend that off the ice to the prospect arena :lol
The Canadian media has nothing to do with it.

He's just very good.

Pierre McGuire wasn't even an advocater of Phaneuf... he was in love with other players... Maxime Talbot, Sidney Crosby, Zach Parise, Time Brent, Daniel Paille, etc...

I don't remember McGuire ever "orgasming" over him.

leafaholix*

Marmax said:
Yeah, Dion Phaneuf is the best two-way defenseman since let see... Joni Pitkanen and Jay Bouwmeester two year ago.
Phaneuf is a better two-way player then either Bouwmeester or Pitkanen.

He's an elite defensive player with very good offensive upside.

Bouwmeester and Pitkanen are more offensive players with a good defensive game.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Leafaholix said:
The Canadian media has nothing to do with it.

He's just very good.

Pierre McGuire wasn't even an advocater of Phaneuf... he was in love with other players... Maxime Talbot, Sidney Crosby, Zach Parise, Time Brent, Daniel Paille, etc...

I don't remember McGuire ever "orgasming" over him.

Are you Canadian?

I certainly did. Its not a knock against them. Its only natural to advocate your country's players.....there is nothing wrong with that.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Phaneuf dominated the World Juniors...and imo will easily be a top d-man in the league down the road.

leafaholix*

Enoch said:
Are you Canadian?

I certainly did. Its not a knock against them. Its only natural to advocate your country's players.....there is nothing wrong with that.
He didn't "orgasm" over Phaneuf like he did over Parise at the draft.

The positive talk about Phaneuf at the WJC was well deserved... he was easily Canada's best defenseman and one of the best in the tournament.

He's the best player in junior hockey as well.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Sting004 said:
Phaneuf dominated the World Juniors...and imo will easily be a top d-man in the league down the road.

I've watched the championship game several times and Phaneuf hardly dominated that game. He looked very good in that tourney, but I think it's a stretch to say he dominated.

leafaholix*

SmokeyClause said:
I've watched the championship game several times and Phaneuf hardly dominated that game. He looked very good in that tourney, but I think it's a stretch to say he dominated.
He was defensively dominant throughout the tournament, he also put up 4 points, Suter had 2.

jacketracket*

Zherdev: "His defensive game needs some work, but the Blue Jackets didn't draft him to be a Selke winner".

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad