Hockey´s "Maradona goal"

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Since the soccer World Cup is happening at the moment...

You may remember the 1986 soccer WC and the famous match between England and Argentina where Diego Maradona scored his incredible goal (NOT the "la mano de Dios" but the other one!) in which he fooled about every English player and goalie Peter Shilton too. But what would be hockey´s equivalent of that goal? In other words; what is the best individual effort in hockey history?

Players who come to mind (who could have performed such a feat): Lemieux, Perreault, Lafleur, D. Savard and of course many Soviets/Russians (Kharlamov, Bure, Makarov, Maltsev, Balderis etc.).

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Fedorov had a few end to enders that were just unreal..

Jagr vs. Chicago in 1992 was very nice as well.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If there's a goal that everyone remembers,
It was back in old 72'
We all held the stick,
And we all pulled the trigger,
And all I remember is sitting beside you.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Denis Savard vs. Edmonton in 1987 or 1988.

Skates around Edmonton players like pylons for about 30 seconds before finally scoring. Probably the most dazzling single example of puck wizardry ever. And the kicker being it was against the most dominant team in the sport at the time.

Lemieux vs. Minnesota in 1991 is another worthy contender, especially considering the circumstances.

Azdinator

Jun 29, 2005
France
This year Zherdev scored a goal like this. plus there were no goalie in colombus net and he scored it 30sec before the end of the game to tie it.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
MS said:
Denis Savard vs. Edmonton in 1987 or 1988.

Skates around Edmonton players like pylons for about 30 seconds before finally scoring. Probably the most dazzling single example of puck wizardry ever. And the kicker being it was against the most dominant team in the sport at the time.

Not to mention the defenseman he schooled on that goal was Kevin Lowe.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Mario Lemieux stealing Ray Bourque's wallet and replacing it with confetti in the 1991 Conference finals.

If it is the one I'm thinking of, then that goal was absolutely insane. Bourque is retreating back to his own end while Lemieux, skating in the same direction, catches Bourque, stickhandles through Bourque's feet while they are both in full stride, passes Bourque and scores high glove. That's the kind of goal that makes you think "this guy is just too good for this league", and is was Ray-freaking-Bourque that he victimized on that play.

espo*

Oilerfan120582 said:
If it is the one I'm thinking of, then that goal was absolutely insane. Bourque is retreating back to his own end while Lemieux, skating in the same direction, catches Bourque, stickhandles through Bourque's feet while they are both in full stride, passes Bourque and scores high glove. That's the kind of goal that makes you think "this guy is just too good for this league", and is was Ray-freaking-Bourque that he victimized on that play.
So true.

That goal was just out of this world.I can still remember Bobby Cole creaming himself and bellowing "have you ever seen...so much.............finesse"

And i had to admit i had'nt and probably have'nt since.Even the way he roofed it after making Bourque look like an average d-man was perfect and just so slick.

Lemieux had every offensive gift you could possibly ask for and he showed every single one of them on that goal.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Azdinator said:
This year Zherdev scored a goal like this. plus there were no goalie in colombus net and he scored it 30sec before the end of the game to tie it.

It was nice but it was on a rebound and I can't put it in the same league as Lemieux's goal against the North Stars for example.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
The goal that many others have mentioned, Lemieux vs Northstars where he splits two defenders and makes Casey look like a fool is what got me into hockey.

I was about 7 or 8 at the time, and have been a fan of the game and the Pens ever since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->