Hobey Baker Final Three Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEli*

It's great to see Parise get a mention but I have to agree with Voodoo here. Not on the fact that Bochenski deserves it more than Parise because I didn't see a single UND game all year long. I figured that Bochenski would at least get named as a top three finalist based on what I've read and heard alone.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Gotta agree with VD here again. Bochenski got screwed. Everything I'd heard is that Bochenski had a better season and was a more deserving finalist for this award, even if Parise is a superior prospect. Ah well, maybe next year he'll get the credit he's due.

Also, I wouldn't say it's nice to see Parise get some recognition. The guy gets more recognition than almost any other prospect out there who hasn't been a top 4 pick. If anything, I'd say Parise gets too much consideration and has become somewhat over-rated at this point, although there is little doubt he's a great prospect.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Hossa said:
Also, I wouldn't say it's nice to see Parise get some recognition. The guy gets more recognition than almost any other prospect out there who hasn't been a top 4 pick. If anything, I'd say Parise gets too much consideration and has become somewhat over-rated at this point, although there is little doubt he's a great prospect.

Sarcasm dude, Sarcasm. Hence the ;)

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
PEli said:
Not on the fact that Bochenski deserves it more than Parise

You're right, I shouldn't pick on Parise, he also had a deserving season. I did because I was quite sure beforehand that only one of the two UND standouts would receive a nomination, so I'm just disappointed that it was Parise and not Bochenski. Brown and Lessard also had great seasons, I digress..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Voodoo said:
Bochenski = Hosed.
Frankly, I feel this is a little goodbye gift for Parise. He may be the better prospect but Bochenski had the stronger season.

How do you figure Bochenski had the better season?

I think Lessard wins it, his 30 goals for the junior is impressive, as he doens't have the talent that ND program has.

gmdevils

montreal said:
How do you figure Bochenski had the better season?

I think Lessard wins it, his 30 goals for the junior is impressive, as he doens't have the talent that ND program has.

For what its worth, I think that Bochenski had the better season, simply because he was more consistent. Parise was easily the better player in the second half; he came in on fire after the world juniors, but struggled early on in the season, and Bochenski was carrying the team then. Now you've got to take all this with a grain of salt because I haven't watched any of the games, only read the boxes and reports from the games.

Lessard would also be my pick. Evan Schwabe who played on his line has really developed along with Lessard this year, so you can't say that he's completely responsible for the Bulldog's great season, but its also not quite in the same league as Bochenski/Parise either. Those two played so well this year, that I'd have a hard time giving it to either. Danis was good, but there are a half dozen goalies in the NCAA who put up similar numbers, not the least of whom being Jim Howard, who would likely be there instead of Danis if not for his freak injury.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
All three are deserving and very much I might add. However, I'm also inclined to give the nod to Lessard as well, and not only for the reasons mentioned.

He nearly died this past summer in a Lake Superior freak accident. To come back from that and to have the season that he's had is pretty amazing to say the least.

gmdevils

Oilers Chick said:
All three are deserving and very much I might add. However, I'm also inclined to give the nod to Lessard as well, and not only for the reasons mentioned.

He nearly died this past summer in a Lake Superior freak accident. To come back from that and to have the season that he's had is pretty amazing to say the least.

Wow!
I didn't know that. Have you had the opportunity to watch him play?

ICX*

Voodoo said:
You're right, I shouldn't pick on Parise, he also had a deserving season. I did because I was quite sure beforehand that only one of the two UND standouts would receive a nomination, so I'm just disappointed that it was Parise and not Bochenski. Brown and Lessard also had great seasons, I digress..

Bochenski had a remarkable season, no doubt...but Parise missed time to play in the WJC, if I'm not mistaken, and while I don't think his play there had any impact on the voting, the reason for his absence was probably taken into account.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
gmdevils said:
For what its worth, I think that Bochenski had the better season, simply because he was more consistent. Parise was easily the better player in the second half; he came in on fire after the world juniors, but struggled early on in the season, and Bochenski was carrying the team then. Now you've got to take all this with a grain of salt because I haven't watched any of the games, only read the boxes and reports from the games.

Lessard would also be my pick. Evan Schwabe who played on his line has really developed along with Lessard this year, so you can't say that he's completely responsible for the Bulldog's great season, but its also not quite in the same league as Bochenski/Parise either. Those two played so well this year, that I'd have a hard time giving it to either. Danis was good, but there are a half dozen goalies in the NCAA who put up similar numbers, not the least of whom being Jim Howard, who would likely be there instead of Danis if not for his freak injury.

I'm a season ticket holder at UND. Bochenski had a good 1st month of the season. He tailed off dramatically after that. He is inconsistant from shift to shift, let alone game to game. He has a great shot, and trusts it, and has gotten much stronger on the puck, but to think he is even close to the same class as Parise or Lessard means...you didn't see any of them play much this year. As much as I think Parise SHOULD win the Hobey Baker (just to make up for all the screw-ups in the past...Jason Blake, Jeff Panzer, etc.), if Lessard wins it, great, because he's a very good college player, also. And he led the nation in scoring on a team that's going to the Frozen Four.

Mr. Tri

Apr 24, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
As someone who watches minnesota and UMD games I would say lessard deserves the hobey because he has the good story of surviving a swim trip in lake superior that went awry, but also because he has been a primary catalyst in UMD's revival this year and the end of last year. For my money, Parise still disappears too much in big NCAA games point wise and then gets 8 assists in a game against Canisius or Michigan Tech. The one thing Parise does have is UMD didn't beat North Dakota in five tries this year.

gmdevils

jiggs 10 said:
I'm a season ticket holder at UND. Bochenski had a good 1st month of the season. He tailed off dramatically after that. He is inconsistant from shift to shift, let alone game to game. He has a great shot, and trusts it, and has gotten much stronger on the puck, but to think he is even close to the same class as Parise or Lessard means...you didn't see any of them play much this year. As much as I think Parise SHOULD win the Hobey Baker (just to make up for all the screw-ups in the past...Jason Blake, Jeff Panzer, etc.), if Lessard wins it, great, because he's a very good college player, also. And he led the nation in scoring on a team that's going to the Frozen Four.

Thanks for the input... you are correct, I haven't seen any of them play, just following the games by boxscores and summaries. Its good to be able to talk to someone who actually watches these guys. How do you, and you too Oilerschick, see Lessard developing? A year or two in the AHL and then on to the NHL? Could he make an impact on a team like Carolina or Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->