HNICplays only Leafs,cancells Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torch

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
georgetown88 said:
Hockey Night in Canada has always been Leafs tv, and will always be Leafs tv.

Then the government of Canada should give tax rebates to people in other NHL markets since it is the tax dollars of all Canadians that pay for the network.

For the record, I am a supporter of the CBC and the concept of publicly funded television, but it has to represent all regions of Canada.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Torch said:
For the record, I am a supporter of the CBC and the concept of publicly funded television, but it has to represent all regions of Canada.

Alberta, B.C., Quebec, and Ontario all get televised games of their regional teams

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Metallian said:
Alberta, B.C., Quebec, and Ontario all get televised games of their regional teams

CBC has exclusive rights to Saturday nights. No other broadcaster can show games in Canada on Saturday night. So if teams from the other provinces have games, it will have to be on CBC or else they won't get to see it. It happens a lot to the Western teams when they face American opponents on the road. Because CBC can't pick those games up, fans can't see it unless they own Centre Ice or pay for the PPV.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
CBC has exclusive rights to Saturday nights. No other broadcaster can show games in Canada on Saturday night. So if teams from the other provinces have games, it will have to be on CBC or else they won't get to see it. It happens a lot to the Western teams when they face American opponents on the road. Because CBC can't pick those games up, fans can't see it unless they own Centre Ice or pay for the PPV.

Not to mention if a Canadian team is playing a road game outside the EST or PST time zone (not counting Alberta), then we can't get it on TV. Between regular TV and PPV, the only Canucks games not televised in recent years were games that fall under this category.

nyratk1

Dec 14, 2005
LI S. Shore
dafoomie said:
Wow, thats crap. I'm glad the Bruins own their own network.
Even that doesn't guarantee anything. MSG Network and the Rangers are owned by Cablevision (who also partially owns FSN NY). On nights when all three NY area teams play, it's not uncommon to see the Devils on MSG, the Isles on FSNY and the Rangers on a temporary replacement channel (replacing the TV schedule channel) that might not even be available on all cable systems

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Tricolore#20 said:

I know.

But many times Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton games are on after the Leafs games

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
nyratk1 said:
Even that doesn't guarantee anything. MSG Network and the Rangers are owned by Cablevision (who also partially owns FSN NY). On nights when all three NY area teams play, it's not uncommon to see the Devils on MSG, the Isles on FSNY and the Rangers on a temporary replacement channel (replacing the TV schedule channel) that might not even be available on all cable systems

Then how come, nyrat, did I see A Montreal/Buffalo game on MSG since the Sabres were bought after the Adelphia collapse after Buffalo lost all television/radio rights because they were controlled by former ownership :confused:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
RandV said:
Not to mention if a Canadian team is playing a road game outside the EST or PST time zone (not counting Alberta), then we can't get it on TV. Between regular TV and PPV, the only Canucks games not televised in recent years were games that fall under this category.

That's what bothers me the most. The only way that Canadian fans in a given market won't see their team play, is because the CBC has their rights. It goes against their fundamental principles. The only other game that traditionally has not been televised in Ottawa are the occassional late night Western Conference games, but, with the changed schedule, and the rarity of these games, these games are picked up now as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad