History of Rink Board advertising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
I thought perhaps someone among all of the very knowledgeable hockey fans on this board may know exactly when ads started appearing on NHL rink boards? Was it sometime in the 1980s or possibly earlier? And what team was the first to do this? I recall seeing "Seasons Greetings" painted on the Maple Leaf Gardens ice in the 1970s on telecasts but I don't remember seeing advertisements on the boards or ice.

The reason I ask this, after watching the 1972 Summit Series on DVD, I noticed that when the series shifted to Moscow for games 5-8, advertising appears on the rink boards at the Luzhniki Arena. And the products and companies were not Russian: Ski-Doo, Heineken beer, Turtle Wax, Motorcraft-Ford, Jockey, Catelli, Gillette Trac II, Electrolux, CCM, Husqvarna and Hitachi-TV. There were no rink board ads in the games played in Canada. I cannot remember ever seeing advertising on rink boards until those 1972 games in Moscow. But I could be mistaken. Does anybody perhaps know when the rink board ads first appeared? Thanks in advance for your help.

svetovy poharu said:
I thought perhaps someone among all of the very knowledgeable hockey fans on this board may know exactly when ads started appearing on NHL rink boards? Was it sometime in the 1980s or possibly earlier? And what team was the first to do this? I recall seeing "Seasons Greetings" painted on the Maple Leaf Gardens ice in the 1970s on telecasts but I don't remember seeing advertisements on the boards or ice.

The reason I ask this, after watching the 1972 Summit Series on DVD, I noticed that when the series shifted to Moscow for games 5-8, advertising appears on the rink boards at the Luzhniki Arena. And the products and companies were not Russian: Ski-Doo, Heineken beer, Turtle Wax, Motorcraft-Ford, Jockey, Catelli, Gillette Trac II, Electrolux, CCM, Husqvarna and Hitachi-TV. There were no rink board ads in the games played in Canada. I cannot remember ever seeing advertising on rink boards until those 1972 games in Moscow. But I could be mistaken. Does anybody perhaps know when the rink board ads first appeared? Thanks in advance for your help.

I think it might have started during the 1987 Canada Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad