History of OA's in the OHL

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The history of overage players is that until the 1985-1986 season teams were allowed to carry 1 overage. In the 1985-1986 season that changed to 2 overage players. In the
1998-1999 season they changed the rule to allow 3 overage players. The reason for the change to 3 overage players, as I understood it was to bring the number to amount the WHL and QMJHL allowed which was 4.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You will have to do the research; but, I think OA started with a change to the NHL draft. If I remember correctly, there were 20/21 yr olds playing in the OHA mid 70's. There was not nearly as many minor league pro teams then, or NHL teams for that matter
Maybe not, I just checked three players that I thought had played at 20, were pro in 20-21 year

Last edited:

cujoflutie

I'm not sure if the two are connected or not but the year that the number of overagers was increased from 2 to 3 was also the same year of the last OHL expansion (Brampton and Mississauga) so it's possible that the increase was to offset a dilution of the talent pool from expansion.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'm not sure if the two are connected or not but the year that the number of overagers was increased from 2 to 3 was also the same year of the last OHL expansion (Brampton and Mississauga) so it's possible that the increase was to offset a dilution of the talent pool from expansion.

Good call, makes sense

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I may be wrong but it may have been around that time too that import player quotas went from 1 to 2 and the number of 16 year olds increased as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad