History help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foster

Oct 15, 2003
Fredericton
Alright, let me say this first, I don't know were to place this, but it seemed like this was the best place to start it up.

I'am doing a history paper for a Quebec History class here at school. The topic is the Montreal Canadiens, and their cultural impact on the city of Montreal. I'am looking at many different subject areas for this. One of them being, hockey as a unifying force between French, and English, after the fall of the Maroons. Also the Richard riot is a major focal point in this paper.

So here's my question to you, more knowledable than me hockey fans. What other key moments in Montreal Canadiens hockey histroy come out for you as having a impact on culture?

I already have a few resources, but I just need a good starting point.

Also willing to except anything else you may think would be helpful.

Thanks
Foster

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The story that immediately came to mind is the sudden death of Howie Morenz in 1937. Morenz was an icon in Quebec and was arguably the greatest player in NHL history at that point. He died suddenly at age 34. Quebec (and the hockey world) was shocked and tens of thousands of people went to his funeral. This is a strong example of how hockey (or, at least, a hockey-related event) had a unifying impact on Quebec.

An interesting angle to the story is that Morenz was actually born in Ontario (though I'm not sure about his ethnicity). Perhaps this is an example of Quebecers accepting somebody as their own, even if he wasn't from Quebec?

Ogopogo*

I think it would be worth mentioning the 1975 game between the Montreal Canadiens and the Central Red Army.

Perhaps something about Montreal consistently having a French-Canadian leader (Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur, Roy) as their crown jewel and how they have not had one since Roy left in the mid-90s.

Perhaps something about the number of times they have won the cup and how that has affected the culture of Quebec.

Just some ideas.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I'm not sure how much time you have before your essay is due, but if you have a few days you should read "our life with the rocket" by Roch Carrier. It will answer a lot of your questions, and it's a pretty quick read (should only take 3 or 4 hours in total)

Foster

Oct 15, 2003
Fredericton
Thanks for your help guys.
I went down today to pick up the "Our Life with the Rocket" from the liby. Looks like this will turn into a really decent paper.

Again, thanks for your help.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
That whole thing about Jean Beliveau not wanting to go play for the Canadins and instead play senior hockey for the Quebec Aces. So the Cnadiens went ahead and bought the whole league and turned it pro, and added Beliveau to their roster which left him no choice but to play for them.
You can say something about how the Cnadiens were given the first pick in the draft one year under the condition that the draft a french canadian. That reflects how they always gave priority to quebekers, therefore having not only a huge influence on the general public in Quebec but also young hockey players

Ogopogo*

Chileiceman said:
That whole thing about Jean Beliveau not wanting to go play for the Canadins and instead play senior hockey for the Quebec Aces. So the Cnadiens went ahead and bought the whole league and turned it pro, and added Beliveau to their roster which left him no choice but to play for them.
You can say something about how the Cnadiens were given the first pick in the draft one year under the condition that the draft a french canadian. That reflects how they always gave priority to quebekers, therefore having not only a huge influence on the general public in Quebec but also young hockey players

In fact, the Canadiens had territorial protection for Quebec players for quite a number of years. It was no coincidence that Richard, Plante and many, many others ended up in Montreal.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Although it's certainly not a bright spot, the booing of the US anthem against Boston in the playoffs could probably has some sort of cultural significance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->