Hip Checks

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
just play the man to the boards (outside)(your outside shoulder to his inside shoulder), he'll eventually give up on the middle of the ice and go for the outside. when you can tell he's made up his mind to go outside, time to make your crossover.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
its really important to match your speed to his, and be ready to explode with your crossover for the check...knees bent;)

2x4*

When he has his head down, or is losing control of the puck is when I move in for the kill.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
After you do it a few times you will get a sense from the other guy that he has you cleared and will relax just a bit. That's when I cut in hard and low and up when I get there. It's a timing thing and you have to fully commit to it. If you go 75% you will look like an idiot as the guy blows by. To me it's sort of like someone stepping on a rake they don't see in the tall grass. All is well and then quicker than they can think all is upside down. Another good place to try it is when you are in front of your own net and an opponent brings the puck behind the net. Hide low and then swing on in.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
After you do it a few times you will get a sense from the other guy that he has you cleared and will relax just a bit. That's when I cut in hard and low and up when I get there. It's a timing thing and you have to fully commit to it. If you go 75% you will look like an idiot as the guy blows by. To me it's sort of like someone stepping on a rake they don't see in the tall grass. All is well and then quicker than they can think all is upside down. Another good place to try it is when you are in front of your own net and an opponent brings the puck behind the net. Hide low and then swing on in.

This is what I was looking for. However, I very interested in the mechanics of the hop check. Because of the new "Standard of Play" rules, there in now more use of the free hand. My defenseman can't use that free hard to force or pin that on coming player next to the board.

So we are concentrating on working with them on hip checks. So I want to know a little more about the actual mechanics, it you can give them.

Thanks
Head coach

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
This is what I was looking for. However, I very interested in the mechanics of the hop check. Because of the new "Standard of Play" rules, there in now more use of the free hand. My defenseman can't use that free hard to force or pin that on coming player next to the board.

So we are concentrating on working with them on hip checks. So I want to know a little more about the actual mechanics, it you can give them.

Thanks
Head coach

I have actually been working with my son on this lately. I try and "give" the outside. I don't know what age you are coaching (my son is a pee wee) but most kids will take the easy road. At worst I line up my outside shoulder on the opponents inside shoulder. Sometimes I will give even more if I think it's a guy who really doesn't want the puck all that bad. As soon as the offensive player gets his skates past the outstretched stick of the defenseman he is done. He can't cut back in front of the D man because the stick is in the way and he would have to stop so he has to go down the path you laid out for him. Try and match speed and make a hard cut with your inside edge of your inside foot just after the offensive guy passes your stick blade. I try and make my cut as close to 90 degrees as possible. If you aren't close to 90 degrees the guy will glance off you and get by. Bend you knees deep as you make your cut and I flatten my back like a table. Idealy my hip catches the guy between his cup and his hip if I am in open ice, that way it opens his hips and he spins around before falling. If it's against the boards just block his path as much as possible and if you get real lucky he will jump and you will have a highlight film hit. If not you give him a good bump and completely stop him in his tracks. Like I said before the most important thing is 100% commitment. The kids will miss a few times before they get it and they have to know that if they miss they won't ride the bench the rest of the game. I practice the technique at very slow speeds with kids to avoid injury. If they have the technique nailed then they will get the speed with time.......Good Luck!!

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
I have actually been working with my son on this lately. I try and "give" the outside. I don't know what age you are coaching (my son is a pee wee) but most kids will take the easy road. At worst I line up my outside shoulder on the opponents inside shoulder. Sometimes I will give even more if I think it's a guy who really doesn't want the puck all that bad. As soon as the offensive player gets his skates past the outstretched stick of the defenseman he is done. He can't cut back in front of the D man because the stick is in the way and he would have to stop so he has to go down the path you laid out for him. Try and match speed and make a hard cut with your inside edge of your inside foot just after the offensive guy passes your stick blade. I try and make my cut as close to 90 degrees as possible. If you aren't close to 90 degrees the guy will glance off you and get by. Bend you knees deep as you make your cut and I flatten my back like a table. Idealy my hip catches the guy between his cup and his hip if I am in open ice, that way it opens his hips and he spins around before falling. If it's against the boards just block his path as much as possible and if you get real lucky he will jump and you will have a highlight film hit. If not you give him a good bump and completely stop him in his tracks. Like I said before the most important thing is 100% commitment. The kids will miss a few times before they get it and they have to know that if they miss they won't ride the bench the rest of the game. I practice the technique at very slow speeds with kids to avoid injury. If they have the technique nailed then they will get the speed with time.......Good Luck!!

Outstanding....This is what I wanted! Thank you for the great tips, I am going to copy and paste this to all my players. I am currently coaching High School. However, because of the new rules, we are getting hit a lot on penalties because of that free hand. So I want them to work on hip checks because you are right, they are more impressive when they work. They don't seem hard to do, in fact I pretty much told them about using that inside "C" cut and the body stances, but when to execute at what point, I wasn't sure. The 90 Degree tip sounds like the execution point. Thanks for your help.

Headcoach

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A rather dangerous play involves letting the forward gain the zone before slamming into him a few feet from the goal line. Basically, you let the shooter think he has beaten you, before slamming into him. But if it fails, he will probably get a very good offensive chance. It also requires pretty good technique, and you need to be fast on your feet.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
well for the sake of teaching players its about making the forward do what you want him to do. If you want him to go to the outside then you obviously play him so that its the only place for him to go. Keep about a stick length away from him, making the forward feel comfortable, while matching your speed to his. when he has no choice but to go outside you start your crossover (which will slow u down, hence leaving that stick length). so u just let him momentum carry into you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad