Hindsight Feb 2017

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Was thinking a little about last year's lead-up to the trade deadline and what things might look like if Bergevin could better read the tea leaves on what the future held in store.

After a hot start, Therrien was fired on Feb 14th when the team was 31-19-8 (.545). Team held-on with Julien and finished 47-26-9 (.559) and won the Atlantic only to lose to the Rangers in the first round. Holding on to our upcoming UFA's and adding depth for a playoff run seemed like the right move at the time. However, recognizing that the team was barely playing .500 hockey since November, there was an opportunity (fans wound't have accepted it) to better manage assets:

1) Imagine had we traded UFA Markov for a late 2017 first round pick
2) Imagine had we traded UFA Radulov for a mid 2017 first round pick
3) Imagine had we not traded for Ott and kept our 2018 6th
4) Imagine had we not traded for King and kept our 2018 4th
5) Imagine had we not traded for Martisen and kept Sven Andrighetto
6) Imagine had we not traded for Benn and kept our 2017 4th and Pateryn

Our prospect depth would be way better today. But hindsight is always 20/20 and obviously things worked out much differently

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
This is similar to gainey in the centennial. Habs were first in the division in 2016-17, they weren't going to sell...

I also don't think Markov wanted to play elsewhere, hence his decision to go to KHL.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
As much as i love Markov and Radulov, i wanted them both traded last year at the trade deadline. It was obvious we weren't winning the cup. That was at least a 1st, another pick, a good prospect, RFA or cap dump.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
It was either go big or go home. The east was wide open, Ottawa was 1 goal away from going to the Cup finals. I wouldn’t have minded trading a few assets to get some rentals. My issue is that we did nothing, status quo...we didn’t trade for picks nor did we acquire a star player.

The Habs mantra was “All In”

Getting a collection of scrubs isn’t what I call “All In”

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Imagine we traded for some scoring help instead of martinsen, ott, and king.

We were first place. Our goal scoring deficiency was obvious. MB got character instead of skill.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Wonder if they did get any calls at the time on Markov or Radulov? Maybe we`ll never know.

At that point, they had to know the potential of losing Radu for nothing was there. Unless there was a significant offer though they would have kept him but if there was a good offer, I would have listened.

Markov seemed like very good odds to re-sign, so that one I get.

The moves they did make were all short/term quick fix, acknowledging that the Habs did not have a lineup to compete in the playoff style.

Only Benn is left (Happy trails to Nesterov, Davidson, King, Martinsen and Ott).

Those fundamental flaws to the roster are still there.

Hindsight says they should have at least looked at what was available for moving Radu.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

We were first place. Our goal scoring deficiency was obvious. MB got character instead of skill.
but you cant deny that we are the franchise that produced the most " better persons.... "
Heck even PK subban went from being a crook to being what he is today as a result as that.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Was thinking a little about last year's lead-up to the trade deadline and what things might look like if Bergevin could better read the tea leaves on what the future held in store.

After a hot start, Therrien was fired on Feb 14th when the team was 31-19-8 (.545). Team held-on with Julien and finished 47-26-9 (.559) and won the Atlantic only to lose to the Rangers in the first round. Holding on to our upcoming UFA's and adding depth for a playoff run seemed like the right move at the time. However, recognizing that the team was barely playing .500 hockey since November, there was an opportunity (fans wound't have accepted it) to better manage assets:

Our prospect depth would be way better today. But hindsight is always 20/20 and obviously things worked out much differently

I mostly agree, except for Andrighetto. He is a nothing player .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Like Sergachev and our 1st (Poehling) for Duchene? Acquiring Scoring like this? I supported making no drastic moves for a guy who was soon to be UFA. Thank god we didn’t!

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I was confident that MB would resign Radulov, so in my mind trading him at the deadline didn't make sense. But after hearing what MB said after not being able to resign Radulov, the fact that MB and Radus agent were so far from an agreement, I think he should have traded him but instead MB gambled, gambled that nobody would give Radu the amount of money he wanted come July 1st and he would be able to resign him. Unfortunately, MB lost his gamble, wasn't able to resign him and now is pointing the finger at Radulov saying it was hes choice to leave.

f*** you MB.

I might not have it all correct but in mind, that's how it played out.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Sounds like you are splitting hairs. Markov was 10 and 5 and doubt he would leave Montreal. They tried hard to sign Radulov but tax laws in Texas just too much to compete with. Ott and King we gave up late picks for, not much value.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Like Sergachev and our 1st (Poehling) for Duchene? Acquiring Scoring like this? I supported making no drastic moves for a guy who was soon to be UFA. Thank god we didn’t!

Who said that was the only move available.

Was florida shopping marchessault ahead of losing him in expansion?

Radim vrbata was a rental available who would have been the 2nd leading point getter on our team that year.

Patrick eaves went to anaheim and ripped it up.

Why was the only option selling the farm for duchene?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It's silly to think that we should have traded Markov and Radulov for picks. It never would have happened. We were a first place team heading into the playoffs. If anything we should have traded picks for other teams rentals.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
trade deadline 2017 was the perfect time to start a rebuild.....

trade rads, markov, weber, price, patches,

we are just prolonging the inevitable rebuild

prices trade value was probably at its peak at that time......now we are stuck with an anchor

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Hindsight is 20/20 except for Ott, King, Martinsen and Benn when you don't need hindsight to know how stupid those moves were. You just needed common sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who said that was the only move available.

Was florida shopping marchessault ahead of losing him in expansion?

Radim vrbata was a rental available who would have been the 2nd leading point getter on our team that year.

Patrick eaves went to anaheim and ripped it up.

Why was the only option selling the farm for duchene?

Certainly more options but Vrbata and Eaves were not going to put us over the top. It's a matter of weighing the cost to acquire vs potential impact. Our Habs team needed bigger additions and Duchene was the guy who fit but the cost was way too much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's silly to think we should've traded Markov and Radulov. Both should've been re-signed, that's where he f*ed up.

I think we screwed up with Markov cause a deal was there. However, Radulov had his own plan and Dallas gave him a better fit. Habs would of had to pay him quite a bit more for him to come back. We tried to re-sign Radulov for several months but it was clear... he wanted to explore his options and that he did. Where we screwed up was we should of signed him to a 3 year deal from the get go. A 1 year prove it deal eh. Well he proved it and left. Same as Galchenyuk.. A 3 year prove it deal eh.. let see how that unfolds for our young asset.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It's silly to think we should've traded Markov and Radulov. Both should've been re-signed, that's where he f*ed up.
Pretty much. Most of the board was cool with Bergevin as GM until last summer. People made jokes about him, but the hatred and calling for his head really gained traction once Radulov signed in Dallas.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Was there any talks in this board about trading Markov and Radulov for picks back then? No? Then why talk about it now...

I don't really side with the "we should've traded them" people, but I will say that Bergevin knew more than we did and if he knew they weren't going to resign here he should've traded them. If he had no idea whatsoever, then idk what he does all day, he either got played by the greatest poker players of all time or he just sucks at his job

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No hindsight needed MB was garbage is garbage and will continue to be garbage. Anybody thinking this roster had a chance to be contenders after the subban deal were kidding themselves...Maybe we can find a better offensive center than deharnais in the next 10 years

Reactions: Habs Icing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->