High School Hockey

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I was wondering if scouts for NHL or Canadian junior hockey ever go to watch and scout players in Hich School Hockey.

I don't know much about other states but other then Mike Richter, who went to a private school in PA back in the day, no one else from High School Hockey in PA has made it to the NHL. I know one kid from my area that went and played juniors in Canada but they took him before he even hit high school to get ready for Canadian hockey. Another player that played for a private school in my area is Tony Voce and he probably will never make it to the NHL, just playing for the Phantoms now. I ended up playing against some of the top players in the state when I was in High School and more recently in D2 college and there is no chance any of us will ever get scouted.

I am sure there must be some scouting somewhere though more north and in cases when a player is so good at a young level that it just can't be ignored, because chances are if your playing High School hockey in PA the highest level you will reach is D1 college hockey.

Hav-a-lot*

Depends on which state you're in -- Minnesota brings in plenty of scouts.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It all depends on the quality of the schools...you'll see tons of players from Minnesota & Massachussetts schools but none from most other states.

A kid from Minnesota can play high school hockey and not have any issues with scouting while a Pennyslvania high schooler is better served to go the NAHL/USHL path because there just aren't any scouts watching Bethel Park vs. Meadville games.

Upper St. Clair has a good high school hockey program but Ryan Malone played for the Omaha Lancers before he went to St. Cloud State.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Yeah, I guess you could say Minnesota HS hockey is scouted pretty well!

11. Ryan McDonagh - Cretin Derham Hall
25. Patrick White - Grand Rapids
51. Nick Larson - Hill Murray
53. John Lee - Moorhead
61. Nico Sacchetti - Virginia
77. Drew LeBlanc - Hermantown
80. Jake Hansen - White Bear Lake
103. Tyler Johnson - Cloquet
122. Jordy Christian - Moorhead
127. Taylor Matson - Holy Angels
133. Joe Stejskal - Grand Rapids
151. Jeff Foss - Moorhead
153. Mike Dorr - Roseville
170. Tyler Kieffer - Stillwater
172. Joe Beaudette - Blaine
180. Brandon Bahnemann - Rochester Lourdes
183. Derek Loisel - Coon Rapids
184. Brandon Martell - Elk River
203. Matt Reber - Edina
206. Josh Levine - Bloomington Jefferson

Michigan and Massachusettes have some half-decent high school hockey, but their real stars are in the AAA Midget Major and Prep School programs. There are a few other really good AAA Midget Major programs scattered about the country, but otherwise kids in states outside of the Big 3 M's go to juniors. The NAHL and the EJHL will occasionally produce a draft pick or two, but primarily they'll come out of the USHL.

So the moral of the story is, if you want to get scouted, play in one of the programs above.

P.S. I forget, of course, to mention that some U.S. kids will play in the CHL or Canadian Junior A leagues as well.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Greg Moore brought the some QMJHL scouts when he played in high school before moving on to the National Development Team. Actually when the Sherbrooke Castors now the Lewiston Maineiacs the GM went to see him play they were impressed how Lewiston was a hockey town. The GM went to the owner and said we should think about relocationg to Lewiston. Sure enough a few years later Sherbrooke Castors move to Lewiston.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I guess you could say Minnesota HS hockey is scouted pretty well!

11. Ryan McDonagh - Cretin Derham Hall
25. Patrick White - Grand Rapids
51. Nick Larson - Hill Murray
53. John Lee - Moorhead
61. Nico Sacchetti - Virginia
77. Drew LeBlanc - Hermantown
80. Jake Hansen - White Bear Lake
103. Tyler Johnson - Cloquet
122. Jordy Christian - Moorhead
127. Taylor Matson - Holy Angels
133. Joe Stejskal - Grand Rapids
151. Jeff Foss - Moorhead
153. Mike Dorr - Roseville
170. Tyler Kieffer - Stillwater
172. Joe Beaudette - Blaine
180. Brandon Bahnemann - Rochester Lourdes
183. Derek Loisel - Coon Rapids
184. Brandon Martell - Elk River
203. Matt Reber - Edina
206. Josh Levine - Bloomington Jefferson

Michigan and Massachusettes have some half-decent high school hockey, but their real stars are in the AAA Midget Major and Prep School programs. There are a few other really good AAA Midget Major programs scattered about the country, but otherwise kids in states outside of the Big 3 M's go to juniors. The NAHL and the EJHL will occasionally produce a draft pick or two, but primarily they'll come out of the USHL.

So the moral of the story is, if you want to get scouted, play in one of the programs above.

P.S. I forget, of course, to mention that some U.S. kids will play in the CHL or Canadian Junior A leagues as well.

Another state I'd add to the list is Wisconsin. While, they're not anywhere's near as plentiful when it comes to quantity of HS talent, they're starting to produce some good kids through their HS ranks.

X-SHARKIE

Minnesota and Massachussetts are scouted the most by NHL teams.

As of late, Wisconsin has been scouted fairly heavy too by NHL teams - Derrick LaPoint and Brent Gwidt were drafted out of Wisconsin HS last season... Travis Erstad looks like the next one to be this season.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
In most states high school hockey is more of a "on the side thing".

The players still take it seriously though (especially in areas where high school sports are really popular like here in Florida) but it's not really seen as anything other than a place to get bragging rights and play for your school. The players that are worried about getting scouted and going further into their hockey careers focus more on travel programs since those teams go to Nationals and such where scouts usually are.

However, the Chicago Showcase does allow some high school talent from all across the country to be seen by scouts. I know a kid that I played against in high school who went to the Chicago Showcase for Team Florida and got a spot on a Junior B team. Otherwise, though, he'd probably just be playing beer league while working here in town.

So, it's pretty much pointless to scout high school hockey in most states when the best players are usually on AAA travel teams. Only a few states actually have their best players playing high school.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I don't know much about other states but other then Mike Richter, who went to a private school in PA back in the day, no one else from High School Hockey in PA has made it to the NHL. I know one kid from my area that went and played juniors in Canada but they took him before he even hit high school to get ready for Canadian hockey. Another player that played for a private school in my area is Tony Voce and he probably will never make it to the NHL, just playing for the Phantoms now. I ended up playing against some of the top players in the state when I was in High School and more recently in D2 college and there is no chance any of us will ever get scouted.

as far as i know, only a small handful of players from the philadelphia/nj area have ever played 4 years of high school hockey then went right to d-1 college hockey. out of those small few, i dont think any have played in the nhl.

I am sure there must be some scouting somewhere though more north and in cases when a player is so good at a young level that it just can't be ignored, because chances are if your playing High School hockey in PA the highest level you will reach is D1 college hockey.

richter went to germantown academy for 2 years, then northwoods, then wisconsin. he was able to play at wisconsin bc of northwoods, not ga. he was drafted in the nhl bc of wisonsin.

voce played for archbishop ryan for 1 year then lawrence academy for 4 years. he was never scouted by nhl scouts in the philaldephia area.

nhl scouts would never scout a philadelphia hs hockey game. there are junior a scouts at the state finals, and some state playoffs games. chicago showcase is a good way to be seen by nhl and junior scouts too.

the only states that have hs hockey that nhl scouts watch are minnesota, wisconsin, mass, conn, new hampshire, and maybe on a very small scale upstate new york, michigan and alaska.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
The Blues drafted T.J. Oshie out of high school, and it was considered an off the board pick at the time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
richter went to germantown academy for 2 years, then northwoods, then wisconsin. he was able to play at wisconsin bc of northwoods, not ga. he was drafted in the nhl bc of wisonsin.

voce played for archbishop ryan for 1 year then lawrence academy for 4 years. he was never scouted by nhl scouts in the philaldephia area.

nhl scouts would never scout a philadelphia hs hockey game. there are junior a scouts at the state finals, and some state playoffs games. chicago showcase is a good way to be seen by nhl and junior scouts too.

the only states that have hs hockey that nhl scouts watch are minnesota, wisconsin, mass, conn, new hampshire, and maybe on a very small scale upstate new york, michigan and alaska.

I'm pretty sure I recall at least one guy from Malvern Prep getting drafted. I played for the St. James Bulldogs in Chester, Malvern was always the team to beat back in the early '90's at least.

Grant Lewis could likely see some time in the NHL, he's from Upper Saint Clair I beleive.

Last edited:

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Minnesota and Massachussetts are scouted the most by NHL teams.

As of late, Wisconsin has been scouted fairly heavy too by NHL teams - Derrick LaPoint and Brent Gwidt were drafted out of Wisconsin HS last season... Travis Erstad looks like the next one to be this season.

Lets just point out that it is not just "Massachussetts". But the entire New England league that you are thinking of (NEPSAC). There are teams not only in MA, but also all over New England (even into New York) that play in the NEPSAC and are all equally scouted.

Someone playing for an Eastern High School team is just as likely playing for a team in Connecticut as he is in Mass.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
NHL scouts cannot afford to ignore USHS hockey- it's essential. Look on CSS (and others') lists. In the preliminary rankings CSS has seperate sections for numerous USHS West and East prospects, and in their mid-terms there are about 12 in the N.A. top 60, so you know they are at the games- and so are numerous CHL and NCAA scouts/recruiters.

I'm also surprised that readers are saying things like, "X was a high school player when he as drafted" because there are about 30 per year- many in the top rounds. It's normal, and has been so for around 20 years (go back to Phil Housley).

As has been said, Minn. and New England are well-scouted, especially tournaments and obviously the well-established hockey schools- Wisc. Mich. and NY a bit less so. But if word gets out about a player in HS in another state scouts will visit but it's not on the standard itinery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad