Hicks interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
vanlady said:
I find it funny that everyone assumes that the NHL's last proposal was negotiable, according to Hicks it wasn't. It was the best offer from the NHL

Oh and the Starts are losing double what they did playing..

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/021205dnspostarslede.9b89abf5.html

Nice link...needs a subscription though.

Just curious, but why is anyone lending a hint of credibility to what the owners and players/agents say to the media at this late juncture? Either a deal will get done, or it won't.

I'll just be glad when this weekend's over.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
vanlady said:
I find it funny that everyone assumes that the NHL's last proposal was negotiable, according to Hicks it wasn't. It was the best offer from the NHL

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/021205dnspostarslede.9b89abf5.html

first....

he states its the best offer the NHLPA will get, he does not say it was non negtiable....

wow, you really proved your NHLPA support there

he is losing double what he lost if they were playing......

so he lost money when the stars were playing...........hmmmmmm, I wonder why they need coct certainty...and he even states they need cost certainty....

so you arguement is the Dallas Stars are losing money while playing hockey

and he thinks the NHLPA rejected the best offer they will see......

but your trying to spin it to

the Stars need to play because theyt are losing more money during the lockout then when they were playing in one year...

but if you would think, a CBA is alot longer than one year...or two years

if the Stars lost money last year and most years before it then that taking one or two years of increased loses would be worth it to stop losing money over the long hall

well at least to a sane person

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
likea said:
first....

he states its the best offer the NHLPA will get, he does not say it was non negtiable....

wow, you really proved your NHLPA support there

he is losing double what he lost if they were playing......

so he lost money when the stars were playing...........hmmmmmm, I wonder why they need coct certainty...and he even states they need cost certainty....

so you arguement is the Dallas Stars are losing money while playing hockey

and he thinks the NHLPA rejected the best offer they will see......

but your trying to spin it to

the Stars need to play because theyt are losing more money during the lockout then when they were playing in one year...

but if you would think, a CBA is alot longer than one year...or two years

if the Stars lost money last year and most years before it then that taking one or two years of increased loses would be worth it to stop losing money over the long hall

well at least to a sane person

To lose double while they are not playing makes no sense. If Hicks had been smart he would have lowered his payroll long ago and wouldn't have been losing anything.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Stars owner Tom Hicks said Friday that the NHL's latest offer was its best and that hockey won't resume "unless it's under a system that works."

Hicks spoke publicly for the first time since the lockout began and admitted he was disappointed that the season appears to be over.

"The players have turned down the best offer they're ever going to get. I can say that with certainty," said Hicks, adding that the NHLPA wasn't "serious about entertaining the system we need to go forward."

Hicks said that "100 percent" of the owners are committed to getting a system with some sort of cost certainty, no matter how long that takes. He said he has spoken with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman every day for the last three weeks and that until recently he remained optimistic a deal could get done.

a preview of the article for those who want to subscribe and read it

likea

Jul 9, 2004
vanlady said:
To lose double while they are not playing makes no sense. If Hicks had been smart he would have lowered his payroll long ago and wouldn't have been losing anything.

it makes a ton of sense if it stops the losses in the future....

and if lowers his payroll he will not be able to compete with the big market teams, and when you can't compete you lose fans, when you lose fans you lose more money

its a huge cycle

Crazy Lunatic

vanlady said:

No, continuing to play while losing money makes no sense. It is expected that when you shut down a business you will lose money. It is *not* expected that you should be losing money while your business is up and running.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Crazy Lunatic said:
No, continuing to play while losing money makes no sense. It is expected that when you shut down a business you will lose money. It is *not* expected that you should be losing money while your business is up and running.

Yep. Better to lose now and fix the system than to let the system remain out of wack and lose money in perpetuity.

That said, Tom Hicks is one of the reasons the NHL (and MLB, for that matter) are where they are today.

Crazy Lunatic

vanlady said:

Bill Daly and Garry Bettman speak for the NHL, not Hicks. Daly said about 4 thousand times that the triggers were negotiable and that he was shocked that the PA didn't even try.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
hicks never said they weren't, she is making things up

he felt it was the best offer the NHLPA was going to get, thats all

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
vanlady said:

Please point out in the article where Hicks says the offer was non-negotiable because I sure can't see it. He did say it was their last offer but he didn't say it was non-negotiable. There's a big difference there.

And according to ESPN, Dallas played to 99.0% capacity in '04, yet the Stars still lost money. You think Tom Hicks won't mind losing a little more if it means a system will be put in place that might actually allow the guy to break even despite packing the house every night?

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
Hicks makes me laugh. The guy claims he's lost money, but kept buying, and buying players, signing them to huge contracts. I mean, if your "business" can't afford to pay "John Doe's" salary without making a profit, you usually don't hire them. And if you can't afford to run your business, you usually close up shop.

Plus, Hicks also owns the Texas Rangers as well, who have beyond HORRIBLE contracts, still paying A-ROD's salary, and a small fan base.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
The Maltais Falcon said:
Please point out in the article where Hicks says the offer was non-negotiable because I sure can't see it. He did say it was their last offer but he didn't say it was non-negotiable. There's a big difference there.

Absolutely. Hicks did not say they wouldn't negotiate. Here's what he did say directly on the subject :

Stars owner Tom Hicks said Friday that the NHL's latest offer was its best and that hockey won't resume "unless it's under a system that works."
"The players have turned down the best offer they're ever going to get. I can say that with certainty," said Hicks, adding that the NHLPA wasn't "serious about entertaining the system we need to go forward."

Hicks said that "100 percent" of the owners are committed to getting a system with some sort of cost certainty, no matter how long that takes. He said he has spoken with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman every day for the last three weeks and that until recently he remained optimistic a deal could get done.

"I guess there's always hope for some sort of miracle, but I don't think that's going to happen," Hicks said.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
This is the same Tom Hicks who two summers ago during the Marty Turco holdout that "this is the best offer he's going to get. No more offers will be made." and surprise surprise, along came another offer. Hicks is worse than the players recanting what they said. Give him a day or two and his tune will change, it always does.

Hicks is on the cost certainty bandwagon not because the team is losing money, but because he's spending money and the team has nothing to show for it. But this is the same Hicks who two summers ago jetted off on his private jet to lure players like Guerin, Young, Amonte and Selanne to the team. He bid against himself in the Guerin deal and made a fool of himself and he knows it. Of course this comes after the summer before when Roenick turned around and signed with Philadelphia and he panicked. He then went out and signed a bunch of guys that he knew would not fit with this team and with the exception of Turgeon and DiMaio, they have all been traded away.

Hicks is an idiot. The Stars lost $300,000 last season and because they only played 2 home playoff games. Had they played just one more, then they would have made money. Last season was also the first season they had lost money.

They have a deal that they pay a $6M arena fee regardless if they put ice down or not, so this season cost him at least $6M. I am sure there are other clubs that have similar deals.

Hicks needs cost certainty because he knows he can't control his spending and the only way his spending will be controlled is with a cap. He's like giving a shopaholic a credit card, he can't be controlled.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Crazy Lunatic said:
No, continuing to play while losing money makes no sense.
Hicks didn't buy the team to own forever. He bought the team as an investment. He tried to sell the team two years ago but couldn't find a taker with the lockout looming.

He's fine taking a few seasons with some losses if he's able to sell the team for a huge profit later. The team's value went way up in the ten years he's owned it, so he'd come out ahead even after losing money for a few years.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
at least you now know one big market owner is still behind cost certainty and the small markets

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
likea said:
Actually he does.... but as has been pointed out, Hicks is a man with little credibility in these matters and doesn't have the same agenda as most owners.

HICKS: "The players have turned down the best offer they're ever going to get. I can say that with certainty,"

creative giant*

Crazy Lunatic said:

Exactly, but don't bother trying to explain that to the closeminded folk.

They'll never get it.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Boomhower said:
Actually he does.... but as has been pointed out, Hicks is a man with little credibility in these matters and doesn't have the same agenda as most owners.

HICKS: "The players have turned down the best offer they're ever going to get. I can say that with certainty,"

This whole argument is claiming that Saskin and Goodenow are incompetent essentially. I still don't see where it clearly says that these triggers are non-negotiable, and if TS and BG are basing the stance on not negotiating because they assumed they were not negotaible, is a major sign of incompetence, and should be fired immediately. BG, stated in the press conference, after the NHL's PC, that this framework would not be that basis for any agreement. Shows real willingness to negotiate.

Even if it says that this is the best offer the NHLPA is ever going to get, it doesn't mean that the triggers are not negotiable. There is no such thing as the best offer in any negotiations. Proposals are specifically designed to be negotiated off of, by making the other side feel trapped and having them claim victory by negotiating off other things that the other side can live without in the grand scheme of things.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Quote:
Originally Posted by likea
Boomhower said:
Actually he does....

HICKS: "The players have turned down th e best offer they're ever going to get. I can say that with certainty,"
If you really believe that the NHL's last offer is non-negotiable, then I've got some swamp land I'd like to show you.
:D

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Crazy Lunatic said:
Bill Daly and Garry Bettman speak for the NHL, not Hicks. Daly said about 4 thousand times that the triggers were negotiable and that he was shocked that the PA didn't even try.

Because the PA knows whats going to happen. The owners will make any trigger kick in anyways. They would be stupid not to.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Boomhower said:

are you even serious with this???? :lol:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Isles72 said:
I dont feel sorry for this guy .

Turgeon.........Young ......

:shakehead
Don't forget Guerin around 9M to score 30 goals and beat his own teammates over the head with a stick... Like previously stated by others, Hicks is one of the guys that compounded problems for the NHL(also MLB) by thinking he could buy a championship, his ego took over when it was free agency time...Well Mr. Hicks, I may be slightly siding with the owners on this one, but you and a couple of other owners better take a look in the mirror to find where some of the problems lie in the fiscal end of this business... Hicks in my books is one owner who shouldn't be speaking...he is the Bobby Holik of owners...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Because the PA knows whats going to happen. The owners will make any trigger kick in anyways. They would be stupid not to.

NHL wants a system that allows teams to be competent without constantly being on the red. If that can be achieved with PA's proposal, owners really couldn't care less whether triggers kick in or not.

NHL called out NHLPA's claim about their dec 9th proposal being enough to save smaller teams and NHLPA is currently showing that they don't have the balls to put their money where their mouth is.

And frankly your totally one-sided pro-PA act is getting boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad