News Article: Hickey's Older Brother's Cancer Battle

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Don't know if this was posted anywhere, sorry if I missed it. Felt bad for Thomas reading this. You'd think his injuries or inability to get back into the NHL would be the worst thing happening, but then you read something like this and can see how he's probably not thinking much about that at all.

As Thomas Hickey's brother battles cancer, hockey takes on a...
Feel awful for Hickey and his family.
I've had family members battle cancer and it's a rough road.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Silver lining, at least for this board, is that maybe some of the more negative posters might dial things back on the personal attacks.

While his contract is an overpayment, he's always given a solid effort for the team. He's sacrificed his body and his future health for the sake of this team.

For that, he has my respect and support both on and off the ice.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Very sad news. My dad died from a glioblastoma but he was 78 and had lived a full life. It doesn't respond well to most treatment and it is not a good way to go. I just hope they don't put him through too much hell once they know it's over. Hated the false hope part and pushing treatments they know won't work. At 33, I can't even imagine and only wish him peace and as much comfort as possible. It's all you can do.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hickey left practice today to go home to Calgary for personal reasons. While you shouldn’t draw conclusions from that, I want to wish him and his family the best, regardless of the circumstances surrounding his absence

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Dan was very proud of Thomas...even if he never lived up to his draft status, he had a solid career and I wish Thomas and his family all the best.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Dan was very proud of Thomas...even if he never lived up to his draft status, he had a solid career and I wish Thomas and his family all the best.

I’m pretty sure his brother could give a shit what his draft status was. If you read up, they are extremely close.

What an ignorant and subhuman backhanded dig to make....especially when it is rumored that Hickey may have left the team to pay his respects.

Jesus Christ. Never “lived up to his draft status but his brother was still proud.” How arrogant and flippant.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’m pretty sure his brother could give a shit what his draft status was. If you read up, they are extremely close.

What an ignorant and subhuman backhanded dig to make....especially when it is rumored that Hickey may have left the team to pay his respects.

Jesus Christ. Never “lived up to his draft status but his brother was still proud.” How arrogant and flippant.
I debated whether to make a similar comment because didn't want to disrupt the solemn nature of the thread but in retrospect, well done. A ridiculous and unnecessary snipe.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Not the way that was intended at all but I can see how it read that way. Dan was proud of Thomas. The draft part was my commentary.. Should not have blended the two.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Our owners are first class. Hickeys brother has a go fund me set up for his Brothers widow and young daughter to ease any financial burden.
If you read the donations, Scott Malkin donated 10k

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Terrible news. I hope he made it in time to see his brother one final time.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Terrible news. I hope he made it in time to see his brother one final time.

It’s crazy how things work. The islanders are playing in his hometown tomorrow. What are the chances. I believe he passed yesterday afternoon. Not sure if Thomas made it in time or was there. Definitely a devastating time for him.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad