HHOF - Class of 2011

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Where were you from 1992-1994?

I posted this a year ago but it's still true:

Fact: 52 players have been top-5 in Hart voting three+ times and are eligible for the hall or are shoo-ins for the hall. 51 of them (98%) are in the hall or will be.
Fact: of the 25 highest scorers of all-time, 22 of them (88%) are in the hall or will be.
Fact: 100% of players top-5 in playoff scoring 4+ times are in the hall, except Gilmour.
Fact: 19 of the top-20 playoff scorers of all-time (95%) are in the hall or will be.
Fact: 64 of 69 players to be top-10 in assists 5+ times (93%) are in the hall or will be.

Teaching unwilling kids at school, and watching playoffs from vcr. Those actually were the first years NHL hockey was shown in Finnish tv.
I think Killer was good, but I dont think he ever was Great. He is bit like Linden. Good ol canadian boy playing good ol style hockey.
The problem is they did actually play archaic hockey. So yeah calling Gilmour one of the best at his time feels like pissing in my own tea. ( I wont start naming who was better because you know the names anyways HINT: there are two Finns on that list)

ps. Gilmour, Linden, Clarke...overrrrraaateeeedddd

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Teaching unwilling kids at school, and watching playoffs from vcr. Those actually were the first years NHL hockey was shown in Finnish tv.
I think Killer was good, but I dont think he ever was Great. He is bit like Linden. Good ol canadian boy playing good ol style hockey.
The problem is they did actually play archaic hockey. So yeah calling Gilmour one of the best at his time feels like pissing in my own tea. ( I wont start naming who was better because you know the names anyways HINT: there are two Finns on that list)

You weren't paying enough attention to your VCR. There's no way Teemu Selanne was better than Gilmour in 1993 and 1994. I have no idea who the other Finn is that you may be talking about. Even if Selanne was better, what's wrong with that? There will be many players worse than Selanne in the hall; Selanne is far better than the benchmark.

I guess in 1993 there was really only one great player in the NHL - Mario Lemieux - because Gilmour was voted the 2nd most valuable player in the NHL that season.

Being among the 5 most valuable players in the NHL at any time means you were great. Just 52 players have done that. Gilmour's one of them. Why would this not impress you?

Like Linden? Gilmour had 9 seasons in which he put up more points than Linden ever did. Linden was never a presence in Selke voting either, while Gilmour won once and was in the top-10 in voting six times. The two are not even remotely comparable.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

... Is it me, or Linden and Gilmour are as similar as Reijo Ruotsalainen and Aki Berg?

And I HOPE your other guy was not Jari Kurri. At least, not in 1993.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky

I'm a bit confused as to who you are claiming is overrated. If you meant Wendel Clark, then I emphatically agree. If you meant Bobby Clarke then, well, ummm,,,,

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Where were you from 1992-1994?

I posted this a year ago but it's still true:

Fact: 52 players have been top-5 in Hart voting three+ times and are eligible for the hall or are shoo-ins for the hall. 51 of them (98%) are in the hall or will be.
Fact: of the 25 highest scorers of all-time, 22 of them (88%) are in the hall or will be.
Fact: 100% of players top-5 in playoff scoring 4+ times are in the hall, except Gilmour.
Fact: 19 of the top-20 playoff scorers of all-time (95%) are in the hall or will be.
Fact: 64 of 69 players to be top-10 in assists 5+ times (93%) are in the hall or will be.

Even if Gilmour was short in a couple of these areas he should and will be in the hall.

I wonder how much the babysitter incident from St. Louis is keeping him out though.

He was never charged over the alleged incident but some of the voters might be in the "if there is smoke there is fire camp"

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Lindros and Gilmour are kinda in the Bure level. Emotional choices. Gilmour was never even near the best player in the league in his career so no HHoF for him. As for Lindros, he's in the hall of might've been. Lindros will never get in the HHoF.
Bure was the best at cherrypicking goals for couple seasons, while another, better player scored a bit less goals and learned how to not let turnovers make it 3 on 2. This better player is a lock for HHoF, and Bure will never get in. Period.

Okay, he was never the best player in the game. No one will argue that. In 1993 Lemieux was better, Gretzky was better. Then it's out in the open and Gilmour is one of those guys.

1994 he would certainly be right there in the top 5. So I dispute your claim that he was never "even near the best player in the game". He certainly was. Besides, the HHOF is loaded with players that were never hovering much better than a top 10 player but still had wonderful careers. Francis, Robitaille, soon to be Sundin or Modano etc. What's wrong with that though?

Even if Gilmour was short in a couple of these areas he should and will be in the hall.

I wonder how much the babysitter incident from St. Louis is keeping him out though.

He was never charged over the alleged incident but some of the voters might be in the "if there is smoke there is fire camp"

I theorize that this is the reason keeping him out of the HHOF for at least a few years. If you don't think this affects the voters opinions then you didn't pay attention to Baseball the last two years. Robbie Alomar had to wait a year simply because of the spitting incident with the ump in 1996. He'll get in this summer, but one of the best (certainly top 5) 2nd basemen of all time waited a year for that very reason.

Now I know Alomar as a baseball player > Gilmour as a hockey player, but you get the point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad