HFVegas and the future - Suggestions Wanted!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
:banana::banana::banana:We're official!:banana::banana::banana:

This is going to be an exciting time for everyone in Southern Nevada and all of our newly adopted fans around the world, and especially exciting for all of us here on HFVegas.

We get the opportunity to start fresh and we've got a great opportunity to form this forum and our online fanbase from the ground up, so let's talk about what we're like to do here on HFVegas.

What would you like to see here on the Las Vegas board in the coming year and how can we make the forum as comfortable and fun as possible? We're obviously going to have plenty of logo, uniform, coach, and mock draft threads :laugh: but if there's anything else you'd like to see that would make HFVegas your favorite message board, let's talk about it!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
:banana::banana::banana:We're official!:banana::banana::banana:

This is going to be an exciting time for everyone in Southern Nevada and all of our newly adopted fans around the world, and especially exciting for all of us here on HFVegas.

We get the opportunity to start fresh and we've got a great opportunity to form this forum and our online fanbase from the ground up, so let's talk about what we're like to do here on HFVegas.

What would you like to see here on the Las Vegas board in the coming year and how can we make the forum as comfortable and fun as possible? We're obviously going to have plenty of logo, uniform, coach, and mock draft threads :laugh: but if there's anything else you'd like to see that would make HFVegas your favorite message board, let's talk about it!

Well, nobody seems to be jumping in on this so let me be the first (assuming in the time it takes me to type this that someone else doesn't sneak in)...

Let's keep this as positive as long as we possibly can. I have seen how negativity can creep into a board in short order. I live in a city that was devastated by the loss of our team, and now just a few years after regaining one (sorry Atlanta) our board has far too many Negative Nelly's that criticize every management and coaching decision as if they were experts, instead of enjoying that we are part of the best hockey league in the world. It becomes, in a word, tiresome.

You people in Las Vegas are so lucky. You live in a world class destination city, you have a beautiful new arena and you have been afforded the opportunity to have a hockey team that will in all likelihood be competitive from day 1.

Sure, there will be missteps along the way, like any franchise. It is fair to analyze these things but don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

Go <team name> go! :yo:

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
A fun thing we do on the Flames board is when we post the schedule thread for the seasons, different members lay dibs on certain games to make the GDT for, some make them straightforward, some make jokey/themed ones, but it's fun and encourages everyone to get included.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
We have to make sure to post the open tryout date. Hopefully I'm fully recovered from my hip replacement and can make the team as the 103rd alternate emergency practice goalie.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Let's keep this as positive as long as we possibly can. I have seen how negativity can creep into a board in short order. I live in a city that was devastated by the loss of our team, and now just a few years after regaining one (sorry Atlanta) our board has far too many Negative Nelly's that criticize every management and coaching decision as if they were experts, instead of enjoying that we are part of the best hockey league in the world. It becomes, in a word, tiresome.
For sure, we've got a lot of reasons to be positive with a brand new franchise and brand new fans. I think the team is going to be pretty good off the bat, but there's going to be a lot of exciting things going on even before the first game at T-Mobile. I don't know that it's going to be 100% sunshine pumping all the time, but people are going to really have to look hard for something to be negative about for a while.
A fun thing we do on the Flames board is when we post the schedule thread for the seasons, different members lay dibs on certain games to make the GDT for, some make them straightforward, some make jokey/themed ones, but it's fun and encourages everyone to get included.
That's absolutely going to happen, just hanging around the Playoffs Board I got to see a lot of really awesome GDTs, we've got some talented and creative people here on HFBoards, and I hope we'll have a few making their home here on HFVegas.
We have to make sure to post the open tryout date. Hopefully I'm fully recovered from my hip replacement and can make the team as the 103rd alternate emergency practice goalie.
I didn't realize NHL teams had open tryouts. If I find a date we'll put it up. Also, if there's fantasy camps, we'll put those in the same thread. :laugh:

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I suggest some word-of-mouth promotion of the forum. A new fan, who doesn't already follow hockey, but wants to find an online discussion board probably isn't going to end up at hfboards.mandatory.com. If you google "las vegas hockey forum", it doesn't even show until the third page of results.

Put it in the comments section of the Review Journal story. Put it on your facebook page. Sooner or later they will end up here, but some free promotion will get the momentum going.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I suggest some word-of-mouth promotion of the forum. A new fan, who doesn't already follow hockey, but wants to find an online discussion board probably isn't going to end up at hfboards.mandatory.com. If you google "las vegas hockey forum", it doesn't even show until the third page of results.

Put it in the comments section of the Review Journal story. Put it on your facebook page. Sooner or later they will end up here, but some free promotion will get the momentum going.

Good idea.

TBH, 3rd page after existing for less than a week isn't bad. A little word of mouth definitely would not hurt.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Would be cool if we maybe got a fantasy league going for next season? Maybe make it a keeper league.

Could be fun and with not all THAT much to discuss over the course of the next regular season outside of scrutinizing all transactions, it could be something of a board bonding opportunity.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
It's early, but another thing you will eventually want is a Visitor's FAQ thread. See the sticky thread on the Coyotes board.

Naturally, you will not need the hotel and restaurant info like the Coyotes. Your arena was not built in the middle of freaking nowhere. If you cannot find accommodations in LV, you are too stupid to safely leave your hometown.

But you will still have some questions like: "Can I buy jerseys at the team shop?" and "Where can I go to get player autographs?" and "Should I buy tickets in advance?" and "Are seats in section XYZ good?"

Since LV is projected to have a good percentage of visiting fans, I would expect that if you don't have this thread, you will have dozens of individual, repetitive threads.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Would be cool if we maybe got a fantasy league going for next season? Maybe make it a keeper league.

Could be fun and with not all THAT much to discuss over the course of the next regular season outside of scrutinizing all transactions, it could be something of a board bonding opportunity.
Yes, we'll have some extracirricular stuff to keep everyone up. I'm thinking of a survivor league, perhaps a points league, we'll get it going.

The unfortunate thing is that we don't have other Vegas teams to keep people around in the offseason, but that's actually an advantage in the long run for the team.
It's early, but another thing you will eventually want is a Visitor's FAQ thread. See the sticky thread on the Coyotes board.

Naturally, you will not need the hotel and restaurant info like the Coyotes. Your arena was not built in the middle of freaking nowhere. If you cannot find accommodations in LV, you are too stupid to safely leave your hometown.

But you will still have some questions like: "Can I buy jerseys at the team shop?" and "Where can I go to get player autographs?" and "Should I buy tickets in advance?" and "Are seats in section XYZ good?"

Since LV is projected to have a good percentage of visiting fans, I would expect that if you don't have this thread, you will have dozens of individual, repetitive threads.
I started working on one a few weeks ago and decided against it, there's a million sites to get Vegas tourist info.

What I would like to do is get a "hidden local gems" thread going for people that visit and just want to do more normal stuff. Things that we like as Las Vegans versus playing host to visiting fans.

I'm thinking Ellis Island makes the first cut, I love that place. If you guys all think it will work and is a good idea, we canget that started ASAP.

Obviously not needed til play starts, but the injury thread on the Pens forum is the best I've seen. I've gone to other teams' boards looking for injury news and can't find it nearly as easily. Thanx DegenX.

That kind of stuff will be determined by the folks that post here. Every board has the poster that loves the injury report, another that likes capology, maybe one that's super into analytics. I'm hoping we'll have posters that like all of those things once this thing gets really swinging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad