HFVan Hockey League 2017-18 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I want to start a discussion on the starters list now because this is something we should really sort out before the beginning of Free Agency. A lot of you have requested that we reduce the number of starters for next season, so given that we had 26 starters this season, I'd say anything in the low 20s is a good place to aim for. I've included three different lists below to indicate who I believe are locks, who is on the bubble for me, and who I think does not belong on the list that was on this year's list. Please chime in with your opinions and/or own lists, and try to be as unbiased as possible. And again, if you believe we should scrap the starters list altogether and try a different approach, I'm still very much open to having that discussion.

Locks:
1. Cam Talbot (CGY)
2. Andrei Vasilevskiy (OTT)
3. Frederik Andersen (ANA)
4. Sergei Bobrovsky (NYR)
5. Connor Hellebuyck (BOS)
6. Jonathan Quick (PHI)
7. Henrik Lundqvist (CAR)
8. Martin Jones (LA)
9. John Gibson (STL)
10. Devan Dubnyk (TOR)
11. Jake Allen (FLA)
12. Pekka Rinne (TB)
13. Mike Smith (EDM)
14. Braden Holtby (VAN)
15. Tuukka Rask (NYI)
16. Ben Bishop (COL)
17. Carey Price (NJ)
18. Matt Murray (SJ)
19. Marc-Andre Fleury (ARI)
20. Corey Crawford (WPG)

Bubble players:

Roberto Luongo (MTL) - Still starter quality but durability issues and age could limit starts again.
Semyon Varlamov (CHI) - Rebounded after bad year but still not a 60+ GP guy.
Jacob Markstrom (FLA) - Last season was his only one with 60+ GP but he seems likely to repeat that unless Nilsson or Demko can step up. (FLA would need to trade him or Allen if on list)
Jimmy Howard (PHI) - First time he's hit the 60GP threshold in a while and getting up there in age, but not much competition for the job. (PHI would need to trade him or Quick if on list)
Cory Schneider (WSH) - Split time with Kinkaid this year but could easily return to form next year.
Robin Lehner (PIT) - Has yet to establish himself as a true #1 year in and year out.
Jaroslav Halak (DET) - Fringe starter his entire career, so can't really call him a lock.
Craig Anderson (BUF) - Longtime starter who struggled this year. Not sure if age catching up to him or just bad team in front of him. Still managed to get close to 60 GP though.

Not returning to the list:
Steve Mason (NSH)
Cam Ward (WPG)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
1. Cam Talbot (CGY)
2. Andrei Vasilevskiy (OTT)
3. Frederik Andersen (ANA)
4. Sergei Bobrovsky (NYR)
5. Connor Hellebuyck (BOS)
6. Jonathan Quick (PHI)
7. Henrik Lundqvist (CAR)
8. Martin Jones (LA)
9. John Gibson (STL)
10. Devan Dubnyk (TOR)
11. Jake Allen (FLA)
12. Pekka Rinne (TB)
13. Mike Smith (EDM)
14. Braden Holtby (VAN)
15. Tuukka Rask (NYI)
16. Ben Bishop (COL)
17. Carey Price (NJ)
18. Matt Murray (SJ)
19. Marc-Andre Fleury (ARI)
20. Corey Crawford (WPG)
21. Corey Schneider (WSH)
22. Jacob Markstrom (VAN)
23. Roberto Luongo (MTL)
24. Semyon Varlamov (CHI)
25. Robin Lehner (PIT)

imo.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'd add Varlamov, Schneider and I'm on the fence with Anderson and Luongo due to age/possibility of games overall being decreased. Halak should probably split with Greiss if NYI doesn't add someone else.

Markstrom and Howard are the ones that have impact for Florida(myself)and Philadelphia's(Preds) rosters if they need to be moved. I'll agree with arguments about it needing to be fair so we don't get a excessive amount of goalie starts, but at the same time I have trouble seeing people wanting to pay for either of them when playoffs are taken into account along with rebuilding teams unlikely to want to pay for average starters when they might rather exclude a somewhat consistent flow of goalie points in favor of tanking.

Reactions: Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I'd add Varlamov, Schneider and I'm on the fence with Anderson and Luongo due to age/possibility of games overall being decreased. Halak should probably split with Greiss if NYI doesn't add someone else.

Markstrom and Howard are the ones that have impact for Florida(myself)and Philadelphia's(Preds) rosters if they need to be moved. I'll agree with arguments about it needing to be fair so we don't get a excessive amount of goalie starts, but at the same time I have trouble seeing people wanting to pay for either of them when playoffs are taken into account along with rebuilding teams unlikely to want to pay for average starters when they might rather exclude a somewhat consistent flow of goalie points in favor of tanking.
This is why I liked SC's (I think?) idea of the maximum goalie GP for each team. If there was a simple way to track this accurately, I'd scrap the list altogether and just roll with that. Much fairer and easier. It's just that the only way I can think of implementing that is by manually checking each team as we get close to the end of the season, which seems pretty annoying.

Reactions: HankNDank

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
:stars around to talk trade.
We'd like to move pick 14/15 and pick 26/27 either up or down to spread out a bit. PM me on HF or discord :)

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
This is why I liked SC's (I think?) idea of the maximum goalie GP for each team. If there was a simple way to track this accurately, I'd scrap the list altogether and just roll with that. Much fairer and easier. It's just that the only way I can think of implementing that is by manually checking each team as we get close to the end of the season, which seems pretty annoying.
This is my prefered method in an ideal world, but the checking of games played sucks for sure. Leave it up to each team to ensure they are below, and then check once at the end of the year. Any teams over the games played are docked the points they earned in the games they go over? Or would that still be too hard to enforce? What ever happens, I'm fine with as we are all playing under the same rules.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
This is my prefered method in an ideal world, but the checking of games played sucks for sure. Leave it up to each team to ensure they are below, and then check once at the end of the year. Any teams over the games played are docked the points they earned in the games they go over? Or would that still be too hard to enforce? What ever happens, I'm fine with as we are all playing under the same rules.
Hmm, that could work. Ideally I'd like to find a way where there isn't a bunch of calculation at the end of the season, but if enough people want to try this out, I'm down to give it a go for next season.

Reactions: donut and Dabeast

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
:jets sign E. Pettersson to a 3 year 3.775M AAV ELC

:devils sign D. Quenneville to 3 years 925k AAV ELC

and K. Connauton 1 year at 2M

:nucks extend B. Montour 5 years 3.35M

B. Jenner 1 year 2.9M

D. Hamhuis 2 years 2.275M AAV

and M. Barberio 2 years 1.45M AAV

:hawks sign J. Leivo 2 years 950K AAV

:flames sign J. Neal 4 years 5.25M AAV with a 5 team trade clause

and R. Nash 2 years 3.75M AAV with a 5 team trade clause

S. Noesen 1 year 1.1M

J. Trouba 4 years 3.8M

:wild sign K. Rychel 1 year 1M

R. Graves 1 year 1M

D. Caggiula 1 year 1.75M

J. Bernier 1 year 2.5M

J. Bailey 6 years 5M AAV

:bolts sign V. Nichuskin 2 years 2M AAV

and A. Lyon 2 years 900K AAV

Last edited:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I can nominate myself to be the GP tracker if need be lol. The question is what you would limit it to.

For how to track: if you go into pickup hockey and click on the man games tab instead of summary, it gives the GP. For example, NYI have Rask at 54 and Miller at 28 for 82 games total. The downside is that the numbers disappear when a move happens, so before recording goalie transactions, we would need to make sure we record their GP.

Reactions: Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I can nominate myself to be the GP tracker if need be lol. The question is what you would limit it to.

For how to track: if you go into pickup hockey and click on the man games tab instead of summary, it gives the GP. For example, NYI have Rask at 54 and Miller at 28 for 82 games total. The downside is that the numbers disappear when a move happens, so before recording goalie transactions, we would need to make sure we record their GP.
Thanks! I'll keep thinking about whether there's a better way to handle the tracking. At worst, I guess I can just make a note of how many GP a team has out of a goalie if they trade them away.

As for the limit, I guess 82 GP is the most logical seeing as that's what an NHL team would get out of their goalies? Curious to hear other people's thoughts though.

Reactions: Dabeast

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
:edmonton terminate the contract of Derek Dorsett and give him a job as amateur scout

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
@Intoewsables Can Winnipeg activate our 3 players on IR? Maybe move the guys without contracts off the active roster to fit them? Doing math every time I look at moves makes me sad.

On another note, Winnipeg are open to offers on one of our young goalie prospects. Either Memorial Cup winner Evan Fitzpatrick or WJHC Best Goaltender and recent WHC gold medal winner Filip Gustavsson. The return sought would be an offensive prospect of similar age (19) and quality.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I plan on getting around to removing all UFAs sometime soon. At that point, I will likely activate all players currently on LTIR and then you can make whatever moves you want to help yourself plan for Free Agency.

Reactions: Dabeast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad