HFVan Hockey League 2017-18 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I've got 13 forwards, 8 D and 1 G on Top 10 teams, Don't know why you guys think I need to add lol. I'm about as set for playoffs as I could hope given the loss of my #1 goalie.

Reactions: Dabeast

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I've got 13 forwards, 8 D and 1 G on Top 10 teams, Don't know why you guys think I need to add lol. I'm about as set for playoffs as I could hope given the loss of my #1 goalie.
In my opinion, with the prospects and picks that you have, you really could’ve shopped around and picked up some extra assets, or even a goalie (I was shopping Mrazek). No offense, but Chicago isn’t even a playoff team, and despite the goalie points you lost in the regular season, I don’t think it would have made that much of an impact. Also, very few of the players on your team are on “top 10 teams”

donut

Sep 5, 2012

Like Tryamkin mentioned, I think you could have shopped around a bit and either picked up or upgraded some roster spots. Compared to some of the moves other teams competing made, you might have been able to snatch 1-2 guys from your competitors. I know it’s hard with the injury to Crawford but at the same time, CHI isn’t in a playoff spot right now. You have a solid roster nonetheless for both the present and future, just thought you could have added someone impactful with all the assets you have.

Reactions: Tryamkin

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
In my opinion, with the prospects and picks that you have, you really could’ve shopped around and picked up some extra assets, or even a goalie (I was shopping Mrazek). No offense, but Chicago isn’t even a playoff team, and despite the goalie points you lost in the regular season, I don’t think it would have made that much of an impact. Also, very few of the players on your team are on “top 10 teams”

By top 10 I meant ranked 1-10 in each conference i.e. in the playoffs or within a few points of being in. I'll lose around 200 points due to Crawford's vertigo. (180 points in 28 games, usually plays 55-60 games). Chicago would be a playoff team with a healthy Crawford (16-9-2 record), they've obviously been hit even harder than my fantasy hockey team lol.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
By top 10 I meant ranked 1-10 in each conference i.e. in the playoffs or within a few points of being in. I'll lose around 200 points due to Crawford's vertigo. (180 points in 28 games, usually plays 55-60 games). Chicago would be a playoff team with a healthy Crawford (16-9-2 record), they've obviously been hit even harder than my fantasy hockey team lol.
They haven’t been playing well either way, Crawford wouldn’t have saved them, sorry to say. Stecher, Martinook, Pageau, Cousins and Hudon are all on bottom feeders, so that isn’t true either. I didn’t mean any offense, neither did the other guys, we’re all just expressing our opinion, and from what we saw, there was quite a few pieces available and you had quite a few picks and prospects to hand out, that is all.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
They haven’t been playing well either way, Crawford wouldn’t have saved them, sorry to say. Stecher, Martinook, Pageau, Cousins and Hudon are all on bottom feeders, so that isn’t true either. I didn’t mean any offense, neither did the other guys, we’re all just expressing our opinion, and from what we saw, there was quite a few pieces available and you had quite a few picks and prospects to hand out, that is all.

I don't disagree, but it just doesn't feel worth it when Boston is that stacked. Hope for health next year.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Meet the HFVHL: Detroit Red Wings' GM Weylspin

cut.jpeg

---

This is part 1 of the multi-part series in which we'll interview General Managers from around the league, getting their thoughts on various topics regarding their team and the HFVHL as a whole.

---
Staff: It's obviously been a tough year for your club, seeing as you've occupied last place in the league since opening day. Are you concerned about what this might do for your fanbase, or do you think they're able to see the direction and plan that you're taking with the team?

Weylspin: As I said at the start of this season, these couple of years won’t be easy for fans. I feel that Detroit fans are some of the best in the world and they can already see how bright the future will be. My goal is that patient fans will be able to grow with this new core led by [Zach] Werenski and [Sam] Reinhart and many members of this upcoming draft and will hopefully be watching us soar into the playoffs soon enough.

Staff: If you had to give a timetable of when you expect your team to be competitive again, what would you say that looks like? When should the fans expect playoff hockey again? A chance at the cup?

Weylspin: We expect to be a competitive hockey team every year, however we’re hoping to be in a playoff spot as soon as the 2019/20 season. Obviously it’s tough to wait but every year we we'll be getting better and better as all of our prospects will get a chance to show their worth.

Staff: You mentioned Werenski and Reinhart as part of your new core moving forward. Is there anyone else on the roster or in your prospect pool that you'd consider to be a part of that core? Who should the fans be eager to watch over the next couple of years?

Weylspin: Both Werenski and Reinhart have been acting as mentors to some of our newer players and both have an already veteran mentality. In terms of our prospect pool it’d be unfair to mention just one or two players as we have so many good prospects however, both Jack Roslovic and [Nikita] Scherbak look to have fully made the jump which is great for them. I advise fans to watch this years entry draft as many of the names called will hopefully be hoisting the cup in future years.

Staff: I'm not sure if I'll get the answer I want here, but obviously you've been paying close attention to this year's crop of draft eligible players given where you're likely to pick. Do you have your eye on anyone in particular with your potential lottery pick? If not, what sort of player are you leaning towards?

Weylspin: I’m not going to leak anyone in particular but obviously [Rasmus] Dahlin is someone we’d be thrilled to have in our organization. We’ve got a draft plan set and we’re hoping to add some promising young forwards and defenders. Goalies seems to be weak in this draft so we’ll probably be looking at other ways of improving that but expect us to be one of the busiest teams.

Staff: Shifting gears a bit here. You've been one of the more active General Managers in the league since its inception. Which of your many moves have been your favourites? Are there any that you think have set you up nicely for the future? Any moves you regret making?

Weylspin: The one move I regret is actually a chain of moves right when I took over the team, I moved [Connor] Hellebyuck for [Eeli] Tolvanen and then proceeded to flip Tolvanen which could’ve really helped my team. My favourite move was acquiring Werenski and the one that set me up most nicely was moving [Jakub] Voracek for [Joel] Eriksson Ek, [Travis] Sanheim and a maybe top 10 draft pick this year.

Staff: Are there any moves you were working on before the deadline that didn't materialize? I'm not expecting exact names, but maybe just a sense of how busy it was and how much goes on behind the scenes that us on the outside are unaware of.

Weylspin: Obviously I don’t have many assets that are enticing to playoff teams, however in the last 10 minutes it was very busy getting calls from at least 5 teams. However, my entire priority was the [Bobby] Ryan deal which I was working for a good week, which I’m proud of.

Staff: How long was the Ryan deal in the works for? With three teams involved and lots of assets changing hands, it seems like that's the kind of trade that would take lots of preparation and discussion to get done.

Weylspin: Well there were a lot of hoops to jump through. I was lucky to find a suitor and a lot of calls were made to a lot of the GMs to make things fit. Overall there we were lucky to get in talks with Washington and we feel we felt that it was a trade that benefited everyone. It’s definitely tough losing 5 years of a retention spot but after about a week of talks we feel we got a lot of talent back.

Staff: Are you satisfied with the deadline your team had? Is there anything else you would've liked to accomplish?

Weylspin: Honestly I’m quite satisfied, I moved very little value and got a ton back. Only thing that could’ve made it better is if I moved more quantity for quality but I’m sure most GMs are hoping for that.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Meet the HFVHL: Tampa Bay Lightning GM Donut

plain-bagel.desktop.jpeg

---

This is part 2 of the multi-part series in which we'll interview General Managers from around the league, getting their thoughts on various topics regarding their team and the HFVHL as a whole.

---
Staff: Your team has managed to go from sitting outside of a playoff spot to challenging for the President's Trophy in a matter of mere months. Who or what do you credit this accomplishment to? Are there any moves in particular that really turned your team's fortunes around?

Donut: Tampa's success is only possible because of a couple trades and signings made early on this season.

Though [Pekka] Rinne has been playing exceptionally well this season, our goalie depth after him was fairly weak. [Ville] Husso and [Alex] Lyon are a couple seasons away and [Louis] Domingue was struggling. We were able to identify this issue early on and went out to acquire Malcolm Subban, who has performed well for Vegas this season, and Jaroslav Halak, who was sharing time with [Thomas] Greiss for the New York Islanders. This move really helped push us into a playoff position and the team competitive.

Aside from addressing our goaltending situation, we went into Free Agency to help strengthen our depth. Most notably, we were able to sign Brian Gibbons and Jonathan Ericsson who are both on pace for career years.

By making these moves early on, it was up to the core roster to start stepping up and preforming. Luckily, that is exactly what happened. [Evgeni] Malkin, [Ryan] Suter and Rinne, who are the leaders of this team, are all playing some of the best hockey of their careers. The surprise so far for us has been Eric Staal. He has performed well above what was expected and is close being a point-per-game player this season.

It's really been a series of events that has helped us to where we are now in the standings.

Staff: How did you feel about your team's deadline? Are you satisfied with how things shook out? Any regrets?

Donut: We're very happy with how the deadline played out. Our team is not as young as many of the other teams in the league, so we felt it would be best to make moves that would help with our quest for the cup. [David] Krejci, [Rick] Nash, [Ryan] Callahan, [Carl] Hagelin, [Ryan] Getzlaf and [Ryan] McDonagh are all top players in the league who will get us points in the playoffs. It was difficult to move some promising young players but it was what needed to be done to help the team now. No regrets with the deadline; we feel it was a successful one that helped define our club now and in the future.

Staff: Is it fair to say that based off of the deadline you just had, your team is gearing up for a long playoff run? Do you like your chances of going all the way this season?

Donut: Haha, perhaps. I think we have a solid chance of going far, yes, but the East is fairly tough this season and anything is possible.

Staff: Would you say your team is in "win now" mode after a deadline like that? Are you worried that you've jeopardized your team's future for the sake of trying to compete now?

Donut: Well for Tampa, we always want to try to win. I mean, who doesn't? The moves we made this deadline help our chances this year and the year after but no, I don't think I jeopardized our future. We moved out a number of young promising players and draft picks, but we were able to retain Adam Gaudette, the leading goal scorer in the NCAA, Conor Timmins, a promising smart defender who has top-pair potential, as well as Ville Husso, who we think has all the tools to be a starting goalie in the NHL some day. Our goal here in Tampa is to stay competitive and try to acquire assets along the way to help with a smooth transition as our core grows older.

Staff: Are there any other prospects in your system that you're really excited about? Maybe a player or two that have flown under the radar and wouldn't be well-known to the general fanbase, but that you feel can step into the NHL one day and be impact players?

Donut: After the deadline, I can honestly say most of the prospects we have in the system, we see them all as potential NHLers. Besides the 3 I mentioned earlier, there are two players who I feel have flown under the radar: CJ Smith and Alex Lipanov. CJ Smith has been having a solid rookie season for Rochester in the AHL. He's 3rd in scoring amongst all rookies, top-20 league-wide. He's a speedy winger with good shot and isn't a defensive liability. We seem him as a potential middle-6 winger in the NHL one day. He just needs to build more confidence before making the jump. As for Lipanov, we see him as the darkhorse of the 2017 draft. He's a physical centre who is capable of playing all positions. He can score goals, put up points, but also play on the penalty kill if asked upon. The thing I like the most about him is his speed. He's able to use his strength and skating to get away from defenders and create room. If he can add more muscle and become more consistent, we see him as a potential top-6 centre in the NHL.

Staff: You'll have some cap space to play with this offseason, with Henrik Sedin's contract coming off the books. What's the plan for free agency? Are you looking to bring Henrik back, or is it time to move on?

Donut: Tampa will look to see how we do in the playoffs before making any decisions on what to do this off-season. We may spend or we may not. As for Hank, we will talk to him in the off-season about what his plans are and go from there. We understand he wishes to wait until the season is over before making any decisions.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
4yEaqGi.png

ATLANTIC
small.png
small.png
small.png

METROPOLITAN
small.png
small.png
small.png

WILD CARD
small.png
- 2566 (+225)
small.png
- 2360.5 (+19.5)
---------------------------
small.png
- 2341 (-19.5)
small.png
- 2173.5 (-187)
small.png
- 2035 (-325.5)
small.png
- 2019 (341.5)
small.png
- 1872 (488.5)
small.png
- 1841 (519.5)
small.png
- 1773.5 (587.5)
small.png
- 1104 (1256.5)

kBjZdMw.png

CENTRAL

small.png
small.png
small.png

PACIFIC
small.png
small.png
small.png

WILD CARD
small.png
- 2353.5 (+148.5)
small.png
- 2218 (+13)
---------------------------
small.png
- 2205 (-13)
small.png
- 2160.5 (-57.5)
small.png
- 2026.5 (-191.5)
small.png
- 1964.5 (-253.5)
small.png
- 1752.5 (-465.5)
small.png
- 1552 (-666)
small.png
- 1454 (-764)

donut

Sep 5, 2012
The East is going to be a bloodbath next season. Already so competitive and I'm going to guess FLA, NJD, and CBJ will be much closer with the rest of the back next year. And yeah, that Central Division though...

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
:jets extend J. Armia to a 3 year 1.75M AAV contract

:panthers extend L. Sbisa to a 2 year 1.8M AAV contract

L. Belpedio to a 2 year 870K AAV contract

A. Erne to a 1 year 925K contract

M. Fortier to 3 year 800K AAV ELC

J. Dickinson to a 1 year 925K contract

:bolts sign C. Timmins to a 3 year 925K AAV ELC

B. Burke to a 3 year 800K AAV ELC

R. Nash to a 3 year 2.25M AAV contract

Last edited:

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
:bruins sign S. Miletic to a 3 year 750K AAV ELC

K. Summers to a 3 year 875K AAV ELC

CJ. Suess to a 2 year 900K AAV ELC

M. Eyssimont to a 3 year 900K AAV ELC

W. Kalyunk to a 3 year 850K AAV ELC

and extend T. Wilson to a 4 year 3M AAV contract

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
:panthers ALSO :ha: extend

J. Coreau to a 2 year 850K AAV contract

W. Carrier to a 1 year 980K contract

A. Johnsson to a 2 year 935K AAV contract

R. Russo to a 1 year 995K Contract

C. De Leo to a 1 year 875K contract

N. Paul to a 1 year $894,167 contact

M. Chaput to a 1 year 750K contract

Nail

Mar 21, 2014
For tomorrow:

LA places Johnny Oduya, Danis Zaripov, Dan Dekeyser, Magnus Paajarvi, and Cody Franson on waivers.

LA calls up Sonny Milano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad