Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 22/23 - 3rd Defensive Pairing

Select 2: Who do you want as the 3rd pair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If people saw Smith play this past season I think they'd want POJ. If they only saw him the season before they'd obviously be picking him over POJ.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If people saw Smith play this past season I think they'd want POJ. If they only saw him the season before they'd obviously be picking him over POJ.

It’s not like Smith was awful all year. He was one of their most consistent defensemen in the second half of the season.

There is a group of Devils fans that is saying Dougie Hamilton is expendable given what he did last year for them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nah I’m good. I want ruutta on that pair and I’m straight undecided after that. I’ll be the odd guy with only one vote :cool:

Took my inspiration from this. Rutta gets a spot, I'll have feelings about who should get the other when I see them play.

Who in their right mind would feel bad for Ruh? The dude whether he plays or not collects an NHL check and has had unheard of stability for a fringe 6/7 D.

Literally a fairytale for him.

I'm a sensitive flower and feel bad for everyone but this is the truth. Dude has done very well for himself and few good situations last as long in the NHL.

Regardless Smith will be playing the 3rd pairing LD. So they’ll get plenty of time to watch him.

I’d love an example of the last time someone traded for an NHL player that played 100+ games within six months and then immediately dunked them in the AHL.

This is also the truth. I think even if he goes down, he'll be back up the moment the roster spots make sense, unless things go very odd.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Took my inspiration from this. Rutta gets a spot, I'll have feelings about who should get the other when I see them play.

I'm a sensitive flower and feel bad for everyone but this is the truth. Dude has done very well for himself and few good situations last as long in the NHL.

This is also the truth. I think even if he goes down, he'll be back up the moment the roster spots make sense, unless things go very odd.

Hard to feel bad for Ruhwedel. Won a cup as a # 7 (playing 6 games) and has had contract certainty on a contender for nearly half a decade.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t want Pettersson on our first or second paring. I’d pick him since he’s a bottom paring player.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like Joseph but I think Smith edges him out. More experienced, more talented, and there will be some amount of internal pressure to play him because of what we gave up for him.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I like Joseph but I think Smith edges him out. More experienced, more talented, and there will be some amount of internal pressure to play him because of what we gave up for him.

I don't think there's any internal pressure given the trade. It's clear there wasn't much of a trade market for Marino out there, particularly if the rumours are true that VAN turned down Rathbone (who's a very similar player to Smith) and a pick. I'm sure the cap had a lot to do with it but if we objectively evaluate what we thought we'd get for Marino in a trade straight up, it's clear that teams like VAN, OTT, BUF and others looking for a RD just didn't like him so much. And it's not like Marino was such a fan favourite that the return for him needs to pan out, given we made other moves to replace him (Petry, Rutta).

One could also argue there's pressure for the Pens to actually develop POG as an in-house prospect fans have been eager to see take the next step, and that the Pens want him to show well even if it's just to boost his trade value if the Pens like Smith better long term (or perhaps to replace one of Dumo/Petts next year). So unless the Pens are going to waive or trade POJ now, I think there's more pressure there quite honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad