Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2017 (POLL #6)

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Congratulations to poll #5 winner:

496724380.0.jpg

Tyler Benson

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2017
1) Jesse Puljujärvi - RW - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 100%
2) Kailer Yamamoto - RW - Spokane Chiefs - WHL - 57.67%
3) Caleb Jones - D - Portland Winterhawks - WHL - 52.25%
4) Ethan Bear - D - Seattle Thunderbirds - WHL - 60.22%
5) Tyler Benson - LW - Vancouver Giants - WHL - 61.36%

Thanks to all who voted in poll #5.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wells for me.

My list so far:

1) Jesse Puljujarvi
2) Kailer Yamamoto
3) Caleb Jones
4) Dylan Wells
5) Tyler Benson
6) Dmitri Samorukov

No Bear for you? Don't think he has the speed for the NHL?

Also I don't know anything about Samorukov, what do you like so much about him?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
LB, he's done everything you could ask from a goaltending prospect. Other than a couple of bad games in the 15/16 season, he has been pretty good. All he needs is an opportunity to play more games. I also like how he was drafted by Calgary, I hope he becomes a beast for us so the Flames can cry while they go through 10 different goalies.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
No Bear for you? Don't think he has the speed for the NHL?

Also I don't know anything about Samorukov, what do you like so much about him?

I actually like Bear (He is 7th on my list), but I like other prospects slightly more. With Bear I don’t see the same high end potential that I see with Jones and Samorukov. I feel the hype has gone overboard, due to his point totals.

There is a lot about his game I really like. His offensive tools are excellent, however skating and strength are major concerns for me. He loses puck battles and gets beat with speed far to often. This was happening at the junior level, so what will happen at the next level? I think the transition to pro will be extremely telling. If he makes progress in his own zone and the offence continues to impress at the pro level, I’ll be on board, but for now I remain skeptical.

As for Samorukov, its all about potential. Great size, good skater, good offensive tools, physical. He has a good head on his shoulders. He can take over a game at both ends of the ice. His transition to North America was rocky, didn’t help that he came to Guelph, but his raw tools impressed me every time I watched him. Then at the U18’s he really put it all together and dominated. I may be jumping the gun putting him at 6, but I think the ceiling is ridiculous.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Here's where my vote starts to get a bit split. I think the top 5 were pretty easy - some names might get swapped around, but I think that's the right 5 names.

Is 'Best Prospect' the likelihood of making the NHL, potential upside, or both?

I think it's Brossoit here. If any of Wells, Starret, Skinner or Ellis pan out to be as good as LB is now, that's a win. I still think LB is the heir apparent to Talbot as starter.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Maybe I've got the rose colored glasses on, but wow do I ever like our prospect pool right now. I know a lot of these guys won't pan out, but Chia has done a fantastic job of adding prospects at little to no cost. Gambardella, Ellis and Mantha are all UDFAs that had minimal hype but all possess very good skill sets for the pro game and have all done well in the time they've got in Bakersfield(very limited for Mantha). Plus the later round picks like Jones, Bear, Paigin, Wells, Rasanen and Marino have all tracked very well since being drafted. And then I think they made some great picks again this year with guys like Samorukov, Safin, Maksimov and Kemp.

Having a handful of these guys pan out and be able to step in in 3-4-5 years is gonna be key in the long term success of the team, and I think Chia and co deserve a lot of credit for what they've done to the prospect pool in only three years. It was pretty bad when they stepped in but now it's really solid imo.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Maybe I've got the rose colored glasses on, but wow do I ever like our prospect pool right now. I know a lot of these guys won't pan out, but Chia has done a fantastic job of adding prospects at little to no cost. Gambardella, Ellis and Mantha are all UDFAs that had minimal hype but all possess very good skill sets for the pro game and have all done well in the time they've got in Bakersfield(very limited for Mantha). Plus the later round picks like Jones, Bear, Paigin, Wells, Rasanen and Marino have all tracked very well since being drafted. And then I think they made some great picks again this year with guys like Samorukov, Safin, Maksimov and Kemp.

Having a handful of these guys pan out and be able to step in in 3-4-5 years is gonna be key in the long term success of the team, and I think Chia and co deserve a lot of credit for what they've done to the prospect pool in only three years. It was pretty bad when they stepped in but now it's really solid imo.

Our best C prospect is ..... ??.. Gamberdilla?
Best D prospects Bear\Jones are years away and even then may not be NHL regulars
We have LB and a whole lot of question marks as goalie prospects.

Lets see how these pan out a bit more before getting too excited..

Jesse was suppose to be the cant miss blue chip prospect but even he had his struggles last year.

Im just glad that our NHL core is young enough to not need prospect influx for another 2\3 yrs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I agree. It's not top 10 but it has a bunch of solid bets. Only 2 blue chippers but around 10 to 12 guys with upside. Only 1 or 2 will make it but it's way better than past years when we had 2 blue chippers and a bunch of crap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->