HFOil Mock Entry Draft 2017 | Draft Complete

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
The Vancouver Canucks are proud to select from the Portland Winterhawks, Cody Glass

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Someone nominate a pick for Dallas.

I apologize to everyone for not making my pick, I'm usually quick and efficient with these things but for some reason I thought it started tomorrow.

Regardless, I'm prepared for my other picks and Luckily for me Heiskanen was going to be my guy anyways.

Sorry everbody.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Las Vegas selects with the 6th overall pick - C - Gabriel Vilardi - Windsor (OHL)

11408839.jpg

Big solid centre-forward who can score. Has come back from injuries and was a top player in the World Junior U-17s. Displays a two-way game, great skills, and uses his body to make space. Right handed centre. Smart, strong, and strong on the puck. Strong on the cycle, makes terrific feeds to his teammates, and dominates when pucks are in contention. can come of the edge with truly strong power moves to the front. He has shown true goal scoring abilities and projects as at very least, top six scorer if the trends continue to improve.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
:coyotes select via list, from the Tri-City Americans of the WHL, Michael Rasmussen!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
:sabres

With the 8th overall pick the Buffalo Sabres are proud to select,

...from Brooks Bandits, AJHL, defenseman Cale Makar.

cale-makar.JPG

Next GM has been notified.​

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty much hate my pick already. Have only watched Makar in highlights and I really worry if his game is going to translate. AJHL seems like a really weak league. Unfortunately the other options for my pick aren't slam-dunks either, so I'm just going on consensus here and hoping he's as good as everyone says he is...:cry:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Pretty much hate my pick already. Have only watched Makar in highlights and I really worry if his game is going to translate. AJHL seems like a really weak league. Unfortunately the other options for my pick aren't slam-dunks either, so I'm just going on consensus here and hoping he's as good as everyone says he is...:cry:

It's a weaker league than the WHL or USHL, sure, but he's by far the most dynamic player in that league. It's not even close.

The AJ has produced quite a bit of NHL talent, too.

Maybe a spot or two early, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see Makar go top 10.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's a weaker league than the WHL or USHL, sure, but he's by far the most dynamic player in that league. It's not even close.

The AJ has produced quite a bit of NHL talent, too.

Maybe a spot or two early, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see Makar go top 10.

Thing is, I read through his prospect thread on the mainboards and some posters made some good points there. Makar was the best D in the AJHL by a mile, which is great, but how good would not a guy like Erik Brännström have looked there? Or Liljegren? Or Välimäki? Yet these guys are routinely rated below Makar. Brännström especially who many scouts doesn't even have in the 1st round, despite being dominant in a better junior league and being good enough to get 35 games in SHL, all while also being almost a full year younger than Makar.

I think Makar is gonna be in for a rude awakening next year in college, especially since he's going to a program who was by far the worst team in Hockey East last year. Either he's talented enough to make the transition, or he's just gonna bust outright. Not sure which one is more likely. Just seems like a very risky pick to make in the top10, but consensus places him there, some even in the top5...So as far as this mock goes, I hope they're right :D

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Thing is, I read through his prospect thread on the mainboards and some posters made some good points there. Makar was the best D in the AJHL by a mile, which is great, but how good would not a guy like Erik Brännström have looked there? Or Liljegren? Or Välimäki? Yet these guys are routinely rated below Makar. Brännström especially who many scouts doesn't even have in the 1st round, despite being dominant in a better junior league and being good enough to get 35 games in SHL, all while also being almost a full year younger than Makar.

I think Makar is gonna be in for a rude awakening next year in college, especially since he's going to a program who was by far the worst team in Hockey East last year. Either he's talented enough to make the transition, or he's just gonna bust outright. Not sure which one is more likely. Just seems like a very risky pick to make in the top10, but consensus places him there, some even in the top5...So as far as this mock goes, I hope they're right :D

The last defenseman to go in the first round from the AJHL is Dylan Olsen (2009 draft) for historical reference.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB

:wings :wings :wings

With the 9th Overall selection in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft:

The Detroit Red Wings are proud to select from the Tri-City Americans of the WHL:

Jusso Välimäki

Juuso-Valimaki.jpg

Detroit Red Wings 2017 Draft:
(9) - Jusso Välimäki - D - Tri-City - WHL

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

For somebody who posts so much prospect info I'm quite surprised you hate your pick. I like Makar, I think as long as he's not rushed his game should translate to the NHL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
For somebody who posts so much prospect info I'm quite surprised you hate your pick. I like Makar, I think as long as he's not rushed his game should translate to the NHL.

Problem is I haven't seen him play myself, which makes it very hard to evaluate him. I could've gone with someone I've seen play, but then I would've had to reach. Plus, Sabres really need D, which made it hard to go with a forward, and there's no clear BPA among the forwards anyway.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Problem is I haven't seen him play myself, which makes it very hard to evaluate him. I could've gone with someone I've seen play, but then I would've had to reach. Plus, Sabres really need D, which made it hard to go with a forward, and there's no clear BPA among the forwards anyway.

My only thought is I think the Sabres need help on the left side a lot more than they do on the right, but Makar is a perfectly reasonable pick at 8.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

As someone who has scouted him since bantam, travelled around to see him live many times and one of the only people to have him as a first rounder before this season even started I can tell you his talent and ability is legit not just because of the league he plays in.

To put his talent into perspective, we all know he dominated the WJAC this season but he was also Canada's top Dman and tournament All Star during last LAST season's WJAC (2015) on a team that included Dante Fabbro.

He definitely needs time at UMass but it isn't uncommon for dominant AJHL players to go on to do extremely well at the NCAA level. typically none of these players are as dominant and as skilled as Makar at 16, 17, 18 years old.

Makar will need to shore up his over zealous defensive play however. He loves to exploit the gap and close in very quickly which is incredibly risky. Has a habit of wanting to take the puck from opponents in the neutral zone but that leaves him out of position at times. He will benefit from getting stronger but he is known for laying some huge hits so he definitely isn't afraid of physical play.

I hope this makes you feel a little better. If anyone else has questions about prospects feel free to ask!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
As someone who has scouted him since bantam, travelled around to see him live many times and one of the only people to have him as a first rounder before this season even started I can tell you his talent and ability is legit not just because of the league he plays in.

To put his talent into perspective, we all know he dominated the WJAC this season but he was also Canada's top Dman and tournament All Star during last LAST season's WJAC (2015) on a team that included Dante Fabbro.

He definitely needs time at UMass but it isn't uncommon for dominant AJHL players to go on to do extremely well at the NCAA level. typically none of these players are as dominant and as skilled as Makar at 16, 17, 18 years old.

Makar will need to shore up his over zealous defensive play however. He loves to exploit the gap and close in very quickly which is incredibly risky. Has a habit of wanting to take the puck from opponents in the neutral zone but that leaves him out of position at times. He will benefit from getting stronger but he is known for laying some huge hits so he definitely isn't afraid of physical play.

I hope this makes you feel a little better. If anyone else has questions about prospects feel free to ask!

Good, that makes me feel a little better about my pick :)

He definitely looked thicker in highlight videos than I thought he would. Seems to have some mass already, so that's encouraging. Also read that one of the reasons he wanted to play in AJHL -> college instead of CHL was to play less games and be able to work out more in the gym. I like that mentality. Shows that he's not just all skill and flash, but actually want to be able to use his body to compete and battle.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Even though the clock is off I was hoping we'd be able to get through a couple of picks during the weekend still, especially with our late start.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
His clock technically ran out yesterday.

Im cool with waiting all weekend though. Just feel bad for the GMs waiting to make picks.

The clock paused for the long weekend at 3:00PM yesterday. Dipsy will have till Tuesday at 12:32PM to make his pick. Was hoping he'd make his pick when he logged on late last night. :(

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Even though the clock is off I was hoping we'd be able to get through a couple of picks during the weekend still, especially with our late start.

Me too, but people are off gallivanting and such. :(

We blew through last year's draft. What did it take, a month? At most?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh right, I forgot you guys had a long weekend. No problem there, I was just wondering why there were no picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad