HFOil Mock Entry Draft 2015 | Draft Complete

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Still happy with my draft. Took Rantanen over Werenski and nothing has made me regret that decision as of now. Fischer looks like a steal for where he was taken and so does Kaprizov.

Looking at the Draft+1 seasons, pretty happy with the value out of the C. White, N. Roy, C. Hobbs, and J. Gabrielle selections. And that McDavid dude as well.

---

Signup for the 2016 Mock Entry Draft will start next weekend sometime after the Draft Lottery. I'll make a new Signup thread.

Last year ran very smoothly so I don't imagine I'll change much. But if you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them.

We're going to do all 7 rounds. I imagine there will be some activity drop off, but I ask if you join you intend to be around for atleast 4 rounds. Previous GMs that went 7 rounds deep with me last year will get priority if we get many participants.

No trades. Focus is on the prospects vying to get selected in the entry draft.

Cool beans. Been looking forward to the HFOil Mock Draft for a while :)

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
Also interested in participating again this year. Hindsight looks good on my draft last year, grabbing Boeser at 28 and Bear at 84.

At the time I felt I might be reaching a bit for Bear but liked him as a player. Turns out it wasn't a reach at all, much to the joy of us all in real life.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
large.png

12th Overall - Kyle Connor 17th Overall
49th Overall - Jacob Larsson 27th Overall
73rd Overall - Brendan Guhle 51st Overall
103rd Overall - Brett McKenzie Undrafted :(:(:(
133rd Overall - Chris Martenet 103rd Overall
163rd Overall - Joren Van Pottelberghe 110th Overall
193rd Overall - Matt Bradley 131st Overall

Outside of McKenzie, I think I nailed it boys.

I'd be up for doing this again! Connor looks like a gem and Larsson went in the first round :D I'm actually kind of surprised that my players went in the order that I had them ranked. I hope I can do as well this year :)

Also cool that Martenet went to Dallas IRL.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I never really looked into how my picks ended up doing in the draft, figure I may as well do it now that I've got another year to go off of.

large.png

1(7)-Ivan Provorov, LD, Brandon Wheat Kings 7th Overall(Philly)
1(26)-Anthony Beauvillier, LW, Shawinigan Cataractes 28th Overall(Islanders)
2(55)-Roope Hintz, LW, Ilves Tampere 49th Overall(Dallas)
3(70)-Michael Spacek, C, RW, Pardubice 108th Overall(Winnipeg)
3(87)-Felix Sandstrom, G, Brynas 70th Overall(Philly)
4(98)-Sebastian Aho, RW, Karpat 35th Overall(Carolina)
4(99)-Loik Léveillé, RD, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles Undrafted
5(128)-Frederick Forsberg, C, Leksand Undrafted
6(158)-Grant Gabriele, RD, USNTDP Undrafted
7(188)-Ales Stezka, G, HC Bili Tygri Liberec 111th Overall(Minnesota)

Picked two players that Philly actually picked(although Provorov was pretty obvious) so pretty proud of that. Also made the steal of the draft picking Sebastian Aho at 98th Overall. Missed pretty hard on some of my later round picks, but overall would be pretty happy coming out of that with the first 7 guys I picked.

Also I'm 100% in for this again. Was a blast last year, and really made watching the draft more enjoyable after having looked into so many more of the prospects.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I'd love to take part in the next one. Haven't done it in a while and haven't kept up with prospects as much as I used to.. good excuse to get back into it! Really curious to find the last one I did now to compare.. haha

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I decided to follow the crowd with this follow up list, I'm also curious myself.

large.png

13 1-13 Travis Konecny - Actually selected 24th by the Flyers
43 2-13 Gabriel Carlsson - Actually selected 29th by the Jackets
74 3-13 Daniel Vladar - Actually selected 75th by the Bruins
104 4-13 Jean-Christophe Beaudin - Actually selected 71st by the Avs
134 5-13 Chaz Reddekopp - Actually selected 187th by the Kings (yay :yo:)
194 7-13 Alexandre Goulet - Went unselected.

So I think I did pretty well, and one pick was actually a Kings pick, just in a different spot.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
OilTastic said:
:edmonton

Rd 1 | 1st OV - Connor McDavid, LC 1st
Rd 1 | 16th OV - Ilya Samsonov, G 21st
Rd 2 | 33rd OV - Gabriel Carlsson, LD 42nd
Rd 2 | 60th OV - Jeremy Lauzon, LD 96th
Rd 3 | 79th OV - Thomas Schemitsch, RD 88th
Rd 3 | 88th OV - Erik Cernak, RD 43rd
Rd 4 | 120th OV - Jesse Gabrielle, LW 105th
Rd 5 | 124th OV - John Marino, RD 143rd
Rd 6 | 154th OV - Ziyat Paigin LD 209th
Rd 7 | 184th OV - Deven Sideroff RW 97th

^i like Soli's list for the Oilers but i would have picked these guys....defensive heavy with a good mix of big and average size and left and right shooting and hopefully a few good puck movers and point producers. also took the best goalie as well as a few of Soli's picks as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Kelly

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
:nashville DRAFT SUMMARY

45th (56) - Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, C, 6'1, 190lb, Omaha Lancers, USHL
99th (86) - Austin Wagner, LW, 6'1, 181lb, Regina Pats, WHL
128th (100) - David Kase, RW, 5'11, 170lb, Chomutov, Czech Extraliga
UND (116) - Ryan Larkin, G, 6'0, 194lb, Cedar Rapids Roughriders, USHL
UND (146) - Pius Suter, C, 5'11, 170lb, Guelph Storm, OHL
207th (176) - Jeremiah Addison, LW, 6'0, 183lb, Ottawa 67s, OHL
UND (206) - Cameron Lizotte, LD, 6'2, 194lb, Peterborough Petes, OHL

One year in, things are beginning to take shape.

Larkin went down early and lost a year of development. He'll be heading to Miami University next fall.

Kase had some growing pains and spent the majority of his season is the Czech-2 league. Lizotte held it down after being traded to Barrie and is likely to be a key shutdown D there next season.

Suter and Addison both seem like decent late round picks though. Suter played very well for Mark Crawford's team in Zurich. Addison's offensive numbers improved and is expected to take on a leadership role in Ottawa next season.

Wagner and Karlsson both had excellent offensive seasons. Wagner approached a PPG this season in Regina, while Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson was one of the top scorers in his first year at Boston University, picking up some of the slack left by the departure of Jack Eichel.

As for this year, I'd be down for another go. This draft is beginning to look like there'll be some decent gems available in the mid-rounds.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Between my Rangers and Senators picks I unintentionally had a pretty balanced draft.

NYR - #61 - RW Jens Looke - Brynas, Sweden - 6'0.5" / 180 lbs.
NYR - #91 - LW AJ Greer - Boston University, Hockey East - 6'2.5" / 204 lbs.
OTT - #109 - D Gustav Bouramman - Sault St. Marie, OHL - 5'11.25"/ 184 lbs.
NYR - #121 - C David Cotton - Cushing Academy, High-MA - 6'2.5" / 200 lbs.
OTT - #139 - C Mikhail Vorobyov - UFA-2, Russia-Jr. - 6'2" / 194 lbs.
NYR - #182 - G Adam Huska - Green Bay, USHL - 6'3" / 189 lbs.
OTT - #199 - D Philippe Myers - Rouyn-Noranda, QMJHL - 6'4.75" 196 lbs.

Aside from my Jens Looke pick the rest are doing pretty decently and my last two picks Adam Huska and Philippe Myers had especially strong years.

I'm looking forward to doing this again this year. Dan Marr from NHL Central Scouting says the draft has a few tiers. 1-3; 4-19; 20-45ish; and it really falls off at the beginning to middle of the 3rd round. There'll still be some gems mined out of the mid to late rounds though.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
:nashville DRAFT SUMMARY

45th (56) - Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, C, 6'1, 190lb, Omaha Lancers, USHL
99th (86) - Austin Wagner, LW, 6'1, 181lb, Regina Pats, WHL
128th (100) - David Kase, RW, 5'11, 170lb, Chomutov, Czech Extraliga
UND (116) - Ryan Larkin, G, 6'0, 194lb, Cedar Rapids Roughriders, USHL
UND (146) - Pius Suter, C, 5'11, 170lb, Guelph Storm, OHL
207th (176) - Jeremiah Addison, LW, 6'0, 183lb, Ottawa 67s, OHL
UND (206) - Cameron Lizotte, LD, 6'2, 194lb, Peterborough Petes, OHL

Three years in, there's still some irons on the fire.

For the duds, Kase and Lizotte are pretty much write-offs. Larkin had a decent first year at Miami U and could be a future college FA. Suter is at Ottawa's training camp and could find himself with a contract this week.

Nashville is still sitting with three nice prospects in JFK, Austin Wagner and Addison who are all stepping into their first pro seasons this year. :naughty:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
#8 Mikko Rantanen
#34 Vince Dunn
#38 Filip Chlapik
#59 Christian Fischer
#68 Parker Wotherspoon
#69 Jesper Lindgren
#129 Petter Hansson
#141 Joel Daccord
#159 Christian Jaros
#185 Kirill Kaprizov
#189 Robby Jackson

Think I did really well here. I had a ton of early picks which obviously helped, but I think I nailed all of them more or less. I took Rantanen over Werenski and it's too early to tell which one will be better. Werenski has the edge right now but Rantanen has looked very promising too. Dunn looks like an ace of a pick, just like I thought he would (had him ranked in the 1st round personally). 45 points in his rookie year in the AHL is nothing short of amazing for a d-man. Chlapik had a down year immediately post-draft, but had a great D+2 year in the Q. Expecting him to have a strong year in the AHL this season.

Wotherspoon and Lindgren are progressing nicely for two third round picks. Hansson and Daccord are trending towards being busts the way it looks now. Jaros and Kaprizov on the other hand are looking like pure steals. Jaros should be in the NHL sooner rather than later and Kaprizov was one of the best prospects in the world not currently in the NHL last year, and is continuing this year with PPG in KHL. Jackson went undrafted in the real thing and I don't really know much about him but he's had two decent years in college so far. Remains to be seen what happens with him.

Overall a very strong draft I thought. Had a ton of picks, but used them quite well if I may say so myself :naughty:

Would be interested in seeing how everyone elses draft is coming along.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Sorry, I chuckled. :)

Rd 1 | 16th OV - Colin White, RC 21st
Rd 2 | 33rd OV - Mackenzie Blackwood, G 42nd
Rd 2 | 60th OV - Nicholas Roy, RC 96th
Rd 5 | 124th OV - Connor Hobbs, RD 143rd
Rd 6 | 154th OV - Justin Lemcke, RD
Rd 7 | 184th OV - Colton White, LD 97th

All I need is Lemcke for the bingo.

Almost at a full Draft +3 cycle, lets see how we're doing.

McDavid - back-to-back Art Ross trophies. Doing better than I think even most hoped for.

White - After a bit of rocket fuel hype about getting into the Sens playoff roster last season, he's been kept in Belleville to avoid the dumpster fire that is the Sens. He's amongst the leading scorer on the AHL team but the team itself isn't doing so hot. Still up arrows, but not as high and not as bright as last season.

Blackwood - competing with Applby and Lack for AHL starts, their numbers across the board are very similar between all three.

Roy - On a pretty good Charlotte Checkers forward group, posted 37 points in his first AHL season, on track for a decent 2nd round pick.

Schemitsch - Bit of a rebound development season for him. Posted some steady numbers in the AHL, going to need more seasoning in the minors.

Cernak - Traded to the Tampa Bay development goldmine. Posted steady AHL numbers, needs more seasoning.

Gabrielle - Struggled in the AHL and the Bruins re-assigned him back to the WHL for an overage run with his sorta hometown Regina Pats orchestrated a trade for him. I like him, but maybe he's going to get blocked out by a deep Bruins forward core where they seemingly secrete productive wingers from every orifice.

Hobbs - Completed with Ethan Bear for the WHL defenseman of the year award last year and had a similar rookie season in the AHL to Bear.

Lemcke - Captain of the Hamilton Bulldogs the last 3 seasons. I think he's been to Detroit's training camp. Really thought he'd have been drafted or signed.

Colton White - Doing a AHL/ECHL split.

I thought I had a pretty strong outlook in my Draft +1 but it looks a little bit more stagnant in D+3. Ignoring McDavid and Lemcke, the majority are still tracking decently in their respective organizations. No NHL hits yet. Looking back, I think the Hobbs and Gabrielle picks were my favorites.

The 2018 Mock Draft will begin in about a month.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
With the 195th pick in the 2015 draft, the Boston Bruins are proud to select from Boston University Brien Diffley.

Feel like I had a solid draft for Boston:

14th - Nick Merkley
37th - Thomas Novak
75th - Keegan Kolesar
105th - Veeti Vainio
135th - Simon Bourque
165th - Samuel Laberge
195th - Brien Diffley

My draft hasn't really paid any dividends yet. Still have hope for Merkley and Novak but the rest have been underwhelming.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Sorry, I chuckled. :)

Rd 1 | 16th OV - Colin White, RC 21st
Rd 2 | 33rd OV - Mackenzie Blackwood, G 42nd
Rd 2 | 60th OV - Nicholas Roy, RC 96th
Rd 5 | 124th OV - Connor Hobbs, RD 143rd
Rd 6 | 154th OV - Justin Lemcke, RD
Rd 7 | 184th OV - Colton White, LD 97th

All I need is Lemcke for the bingo.

D+6 review bump.

The players I was "most happy with" 3 years ago completely fizzled out and are the low lights of my draft. :laugh:
Taking McDavid out of the equation, not a horrible draft. My top end hasn't brought the value I'd like of high picks, but have 4 NHLers out of it.

Connor McDavid... 'nuff said.

Colin White... Trouble establishing within DJ's regime is kinda perplexing.

Mackenzie Blackwood... Like the Devils, looked good in the beginning and then the wheels fell off this season.

Nicholas Roy... NHL regular on the Knights bottom-6.

Thomas Schemitsch... toiling away in the AHL.

Erik Cernak... Stanley Cup Champ and got some of the bag.

Jesse Gabrielle... I really liked his type of player but this was a miss.

Connor Hobbs... it apparently all fell apart. I thought him and Ethan Bear were tracking very similarly.

Justin Lemcke... went from ECHL to USports to Slovakia.

Colton White... made his NHL debut 2 seasons ago and remains a fringe depth defensemen callup option.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Between my Rangers and Senators picks I unintentionally had a pretty balanced draft.

NYR - #61 - RW Jens Looke - Brynas, Sweden - 6'0.5" / 180 lbs.
NYR - #91 - LW AJ Greer - Boston University, Hockey East - 6'2.5" / 204 lbs.
OTT - #109 - D Gustav Bouramman - Sault St. Marie, OHL - 5'11.25"/ 184 lbs.
NYR - #121 - C David Cotton - Cushing Academy, High-MA - 6'2.5" / 200 lbs.
OTT - #139 - C Mikhail Vorobyov - UFA-2, Russia-Jr. - 6'2" / 194 lbs.
NYR - #182 - G Adam Huska - Green Bay, USHL - 6'3" / 189 lbs.
OTT - #199 - D Philippe Myers - Rouyn-Noranda, QMJHL - 6'4.75" 196 lbs.

AJ Greer has seen some NHL Games but is a fringe NHLer at this point, as has Mikhail Vorobyov who has moved on to the KHL. David Cotton had a solid 4 year NCAA career and has put up good numbers in his 1st year in the AHL this year in Chicago (26 GP, 14 G, 21 P) so he still has hope of an NHL career. My last pick Philippe Myers has turned into an NHL defenceman in Philadelphia though. Not bad considering my first pick was at #61, and could be pretty good if Cotton turns into a regular NHLer.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Think I did really well here. I had a ton of early picks which obviously helped, but I think I nailed all of them more or less. I took Rantanen over Werenski and it's too early to tell which one will be better. Werenski has the edge right now but Rantanen has looked very promising too. Dunn looks like an ace of a pick, just like I thought he would (had him ranked in the 1st round personally). 45 points in his rookie year in the AHL is nothing short of amazing for a d-man. Chlapik had a down year immediately post-draft, but had a great D+2 year in the Q. Expecting him to have a strong year in the AHL this season.

Wotherspoon and Lindgren are progressing nicely for two third round picks. Hansson and Daccord are trending towards being busts the way it looks now. Jaros and Kaprizov on the other hand are looking like pure steals. Jaros should be in the NHL sooner rather than later and Kaprizov was one of the best prospects in the world not currently in the NHL last year, and is continuing this year with PPG in KHL. Jackson went undrafted in the real thing and I don't really know much about him but he's had two decent years in college so far. Remains to be seen what happens with him.

Overall a very strong draft I thought. Had a ton of picks, but used them quite well if I may say so myself :naughty:

Would be interested in seeing how everyone elses draft is coming along.
Really solid pulls with Kaprizov and Rantanen six years out. But I have to say @BarDownBobo probably got the best value out of this draft with Philadelphia. Provorov, Beauvillier, Hintz and Aho would flip a team's entire offense in one fell swoop.

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
So fun to look back at these old ones so many years out now. Remain proud of my Boeser (28) and Bear (84) picks.

Looking forward to the next one, tho I assume it won't be for over a month still at least.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really solid pulls with Kaprizov and Rantanen six years out. But I have to say @BarDownBobo probably got the best value out of this draft with Philadelphia. Provorov, Beauvillier, Hintz and Aho would flip a team's entire offense in one fell swoop.

Yeah, honestly my draft looks weaker now than I thought it would. Some guys have been really disappointing and others seem to have regressed. Expected more out of guys like Fischer, Chlapik and Jaros in particular, and would've been nice if Lindgren and Wotherspoon at least made it to the NHL but alas. Happy Daccord got some NHL games this year though.

Bobo's draft looks insane haha. Incredible value with those picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad