GDT: HFNYR 2014 Draft Day, Friday June 27th/Saturday June 28th. 7:00 P.M. EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Nej and Mantha have to be my two personal favorite picks from this draft.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I like Nanne but he's small for a Dman. He's one of the hockey playing grandsons of ex-Minnesota North Stars GM Lou Nanne (who is also one of the characters that expected to pick the 1980 USA Olympic team - see "Miracle").

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
Tell me about Walcott.

NYR got a nice pick. Walcott played for Lindenwood University last season in St. Charles, MO (suburb of St. Louis) as a 17 yr old. He's speedy offensive D-man with solid vision and puck skills. ACHA DI level in which LU plays is comparable to mid-range NCAA DIII so he moved on to the QMJHL for the 2013-14 season.

I was hoping the Blues might take him, he'll need to continue to bulk up but has NHL potential and still young so he has time to continue growing and developing.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Tyler Nanne is probably ones of Steve Rohlik's highest upside recruits, and certainly his most famous, since he took over the head coaching position from Mark Osiecki after the 2013 season. The defenseman was one of the finalists for the state of Minnesota's Mr. Hockey award, which has been given out to the likes of Ryan McDonagh, Paul Martin, Brian Lee and Nick Leddy within the last 15 years. He comes from one of hockey's most famous families and, most relevant here, is eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft as he turned 18 on March 17.

But being well known and in the running for a famous award mean very little when it comes to a professional sports league's draft. So where is he projected to go and what kind of player is he?

Playing Style: Per Jeff Cox of SBN College Hockey, Nanne has "has elite-level agility and a surprisingly heavy shot for his size." However, the problem with Nanne is that he is only listed at 5'10, 175. If this screams Brian Rafalski lite to you, I would not blame you at all. Rafalski was a smooth skating, offense first defenseman who rang up 50 points four times over his NHL career. However, like Rafalski, NHL teams as well as scouting services do not seem to be in love with fair Tyler so far. Despite his supreme agility and uncommonly heavy shot, he still is only projected to go between the 4th and 7th round of the NHL Draft according to Central Scouting's rankings due to his slight build.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/6/28/5794966/ohio-state-hockey-nhl-draft-2014-profile-tyler-nanne

I wanted goalies and PPQBs....and Sather obliged.

Not bad for a weak draft.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm hoping we can do something here to get at least one more pick for someone from Europe. There are so many players from Europe that are still there.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'm going to just come out and say it I don't like our draft

It seems like they decide to spread risk over as many picks as possible. They didn't seem to go for much scoring upside beyond the offensive defensemen and the Czech kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->