[HFNHL] Rangers lock up playoff berth

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Rangers lock up playoff berth
Blueshirts clinch first postseason appearance in five years

NEW YORK (HFAP) -- It was a long time coming, but the New York Rangers are finally on their way back to the HFNHL's postseason. With a thrilling 2-1 win over the Dallas Stars at Madison Square Garden last night, they skated to center ice and saluted their fans who will see playoff hockey for the first time since 2004.

"It's been a slow process to get this team back where it should be, but with the state of our roster three or four seasons ago, we expected it may take some time," said GM Sean Gaffney.

With the trade for Ilya Kovalchuk two offseasons ago, the beefing up of the blueline with some stronger more defensive oriented players, signing of some key free agents, the continued emergence of Marc Savard and Tim Thomas, and the eventual trade for Sergei Zubov, the Rangers are once mentioned in the same breath as the other upper-tier teams in the league.

Not only is the current team finding success on the ice, but the future also looks bright with Michael Frolik, Colin Wilson, and Jakub Kindl, among others, waiting in the wings. Frolik is expected to make the jump to the pro roster next season and Wilson and Kindl should not be far behind.

"It's an exciting day, especially when you consider how long it's been," said coach Andy Murray. "We still want to end the regular season strong and push for the division title. And then we have our work cut out for us in the playoffs."

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
...and with their 5-3 win over Pittsburgh last night, the Rangers have locked up the Atlantic Division title... who'd have thought??

:yo:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Congrats, Sean :clap:

To be honest, I've ben so focused on the battle for playoff spots in the West, I hadn't really noticed how tight the race has been at the top of the Eastern Conference. Should make for a very interested last few games, and some intense playoff series.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Congrats, Sean :clap:

To be honest, I've ben so focused on the battle for playoff spots in the West, I hadn't really noticed how tight the race has been at the top of the Eastern Conference. Should make for a very interested last few games, and some intense playoff series.

Thanks, Douglas.

Rangers have clinched the top seed in the East!

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks, Douglas.

Rangers have clinched the top seed in the East!

Congrats Sean. It was great to see our teams battling for the Conference title, especially considering we toiled out of the playoffs for so long.

Quite frankly, I'm a little afraid of the first round though. I think we both should be. Those 3 teams jockeying for the bottom of the East (Buffalo, Ottawa and Pittsburgh) currently are scary to me because they've kind of underachieved all year and only now are they playing to their potential.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of us upset in the first round. Although I'm hoping for the best.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Congrats Sean. It was great to see our teams battling for the Conference title, especially considering we toiled out of the playoffs for so long.

Quite frankly, I'm a little afraid of the first round though. I think we both should be. Those 3 teams jockeying for the bottom of the East (Buffalo, Ottawa and Pittsburgh) currently are scary to me because they've kind of underachieved all year and only now are they playing to their potential.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of us upset in the first round. Although I'm hoping for the best.

I was thinking the same thing... and considering I'm a top seed, it'll probably be me. Just look at what happens to the top seed in the West every year ;)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing... and considering I'm a top seed, it'll probably be me. Just look at what happens to the top seed in the West every year ;)

:(

Can we actually complete at least one thread or discussion with out someone mentioning the fact the Blues lose as the top seed in the West every year? My boys are fragile.

I mean, it's that time of year again, and our team pyschologist has been doing his best to get the team to forget about the past and focus on their control of the future. But really, it's tough job with you guys talking about it all the time. And with all these playoff races and drama unfolding in the season's last few games - can't the Blues just sorta slip under the radar for a week or two? Or three or four, maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->