(HFNHL) Jackets Swing draft- day trade, shopping for backup

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The short of it: Columbus sent netminder Semyon Varlamov and winger David Booth to te Minnesota Wild, and in return acquired 24-year-old forward Brandon Dubinsky and the 7th overall pick in today's entry draft. The deal has futures to protectinnespta if Varlamov flees for the KHL; his rights would revert to Columbus, and Minny would receive their choice of CBJ 1st 2012 or the player chosen with today's pick, defenseman Dougoe Hamilton of the OHL's Niagara IceDogs.

The trade means the Jackets are in the hunt for an affordable backup for the coming season, and while we could wait to see who's available in free agency, we'd prefer to find a better option via trade. (we were 4 minutes too late for Bobrovsky, unfortunately).

With that in mind we're making young stay-at-home defender Ladislav Smid available depending on the offer. If you have a quality young goalie and are looking for blueline help, drop me a line.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Okay, so I thought my draft week trade was big; the NHL Flyers just outdid me an Jon combined with the scale of their moves.

Holmgren: solid brass, man.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
It comes as no surprise at all to hear how familiar you are with Alvaro's tackle. :P

He like's me, and I understand him.....Te comprendo Kershaw...hey by the way I got players available...lolollololl

Last edited:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Seriously though, it was like a freaking whirlwind came through here yesterday in Philly...

When Ed Snider says "boo", planets move.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
On Day 2 of the Draft, despite having only their own 5th, 6th and 7th round picks, Columbus added three prospects that were all among the top 10 skaters on the team's Day 2 list (a number of goalies went by the wayside prior to our pick in the 5th), so needless to say the team is very excited at finding them on the board so late.

LW Konstantin Komarek - Lulea, SweJE - Russian name, Austrian passport, Swedish team - WTF?. All we know is he's a dynamic offensive talent who is learning to contribute at both ends and plays bigger than his size. Great attitude on and off the ice. Development curve is very encouraging, looks to have a high ceiling.

C Destry Straight - Coquitlam, BCHL - BCHL ROTY Pure playmaker needs to mature physically, round out his game and get tougher if he's to have success as a pro, but the vision, hockey sense, skating and puck skills are very good. Could be a Ryan Potulny, but will hopefully be more of a Derek Stepan. Lots of time for him to develop with the superb program at Boston College.

D Rob O'Gara - Milton Academy, MA-HS - Fresh off Milton's first-ever Prep title, the big blueliner has good all-compass mobility and plays a smart, efficient game. Projects out as a third-pairing two-way guy with potential upside. Long way out, as he's committed to Yale (told you he was smart) for the 2012-23 season.

Throw Dougie Hamilton on top, and it's a far more successful draft for Columbus than we ever expected to see out of this year.

We also managed to acquire hulking German winger Marcel Mueller for the UFA rights to Langenbrunner and Spacek, and re-signed depth forwards Michael Swift, Trevor Smith and Rob Klinkhammer.

All in all, a good week for the Jackets.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad