HFNHL Frequently Asked Questions

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Seeing as "HFNHL Talk" has been re-listed on the HFBoards main page, I've decided to create a little FAQ to help out any visitors that might stumble across our humble community...

Q: What is the HFNHL?
A: The HFNHL (Hockey's Future National Hockey League) is a fantasy hockey league that was founded, in part, by the creators of Hockey's Future, Bryan and Eric Taylor. Although the Taylors no longer participate in the HFNHL, they have graciously continued to support the league's presence on the web.

Q: How does the HFNHL work?
A: The HFNHL is not a hockey pool, the likes of which you'd find on Yahoo, etc. Rather, the HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the Simon T Hockey Simulator (http://sths.simont.info) in order to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season. As best as possible, the HFNHL attempts to mimic the full experience of being an NHL general manager. HFNHL GMs trade players, negotiate contracts - they even have to worry about a salary cap!

Q: How does the STHS simulator work?
A: This is a complicated question to which only the programmers have all the answers. :) Suffice it to say that players for each team are rated on a scale of 0-99 across a variety of different skill categories (15 for skaters, 13 for goalies), of which speed, strength, and endurance are a few. As best as possible, these ratings are intended to reflect a player's recent performance in real life. Some mild preference is given to players that have sustained a certain level of performance over the long haul. Individual GMs are responsible for determining their team's lines on a game-by-game basis. Using these line combinations, the STHL simulator determines the outcome of individual head-to-head matchups. Each game does not exist in a vacuum - the STHL simulator factors in things like hot streaks, so the "best" team does not always win. For more information on using the sim to run an effective team, check out the GM forums for STHS (http://sths.simont.info/Forum/viewforum.php?f=9).

Q: How can I join the HFNHL?
A: After you've taken a look at our homepage and our rulebook, if you've decided that you're interested in becoming a GM in the HFNHL, you can apply using the "Apply to Join" link on our homepage. If you think that being an assistant GM or a "consultant" might be more up your alley, simply post your interest in such a position on our message board.

Q: How many teams are currently in the HFNHL?
A: The HFNHL currently has 30 teams. If/when the NHL expands, the HFNHL will do the same.

Q: Does the HFNHL have a draft?
A: As the league's name suggests, prospects are a big part of the HFNHL. Every year, we conduct the seven-round HFNHL Entry Draft PRIOR to the NHL Draft. This obviously requires our GMs to do their homework without the benefit of knowing who went where in the NHL Draft.

Q: Do HFNHL players do steroids?
A: No. Even Sean Hill and Bryan Berard can pass a drug test in the HFNHL. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
What if the NHL contracts? Do we?

Funny you should ask! I started out by typing "expands/contracts" and quickly hit backspace. :)

As much as I've been a proponent of NHL contraction in the past, HFNHL contraction would be a royal pain in the rear. So, until the possibility actually arises, I'm going to choose not to think about it. :D

Default101

hmm possibly Berard is going undetected, those stereroids could help him add 5 goals in the season, and then his re-rate would be higher for SC because of stereroids :sarcasm: he pulled a fast one on us... glad he's not in my conference :)

RPeeters

May 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Hey, I would like to become an Assistant GM but seems like I do not have the privilege to post a new thread. Probably because I have been on hfboards for a long time but recently made an account.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cartered

Jul 23, 2007
Hey, I would like to become an Assistant GM but seems like I do not have the privilege to post a new thread. Probably because I have been on hfboards for a long time but recently made an account.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd be willing to hire an AGM if you're interested. I'm Ottawa's GM. Shoot me a PM.

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello,

I applied a couple of months ago and was told nothing is available. Has anything changed?

I joined another keeper league on these forums , BBKL, recently. They can attest to my activity. I have 160 posts in the last 2 weeks and have made some very solid moves to rebuild the horrible team I took over.

I'd prefer a team of my own, but I'd be willing to AGM to get my foot in the door.

Default101

Hello,

I applied a couple of months ago and was told nothing is available. Has anything changed?

I joined another keeper league on these forums , BBKL, recently. They can attest to my activity. I have 160 posts in the last 2 weeks and have made some very solid moves to rebuild the horrible team I took over.

I'd prefer a team of my own, but I'd be willing to AGM to get my foot in the door.

I think we've only had 3 turnovers over the last 12 months, and for the most part i believe that was taken by semi long term AGM's, that would be your best ticket in. Not saying they won't add someone without HFNHL experience, it's just fairly rare as there are always AGM's who have been around for a long time who grab up teams most of the time.

VLoo

May 11, 2007
Toronto
Hey guys, I would love to get in on this, and as I am obviously inexperienced with the league in general I was wondering if any AGM spots were open?

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
I got a FAQ. What is the current salary cap, I keep checking the rulebook and it's still at 2007-2008 salary cap, so I probably wind up asking about 15 times over a season waht the current year's cap is, can we make it easier to find :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->