The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Results

Here are the results of the 2nd Round of Free Agency.

RFA

Slava Voynov (BOS) - Carolina Hurricanes - 1 year x $1,682,194 - MATCHED
Andrew MacDonald (STL) - Carolina Hurricanes - 1 year x $1,682,194 - MATCHED
Craig Smith (LA) - Ottawa Senators - 4 years x $3,364,391 - MATCHED
Jordan Staal (TOR) - Toronto Maple Leafs - 4 years x $4,350,000 - resigns
Anton Stralman (TOR) - Toronto Maple Leafs - 4 years x $2,220,000 - resigns

Here's a reminder of the compensation chart:

OFFER – COMPENSATION

Cap Hit of offer sheet Draft Pick Compensation
$1,110,249 or below None
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third-round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second-round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First-round and third-round pick
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First-round, second-round and third-round pick
Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first-round picks, second-round pick, third-round pick
Over $8,410,976 Four first-round picks

Teams have until Friday, July 25 at 11:59 EST to match.

UDFA

Peter Quenneville - Florida Panthers - 3 years x $750,000
Joel Vermin - Minnesota Wild - 2 years x $700,000
Justin Dowling - Minnesota Wild - 2 years x $600,000
Francois Brassard - St. Louis Blues - 3 years x $550,000
Will Acton - Montreal Canadiens - 1 year x $650,000

UFA

Hal Gill - Florida Panthers - 1 year x $950,000
John Albert - Nashville Predators - 4 years x $550,000
Zach Sill - Montreal Canadiens - 1 year x $900,000
Rob Zepp - Montreal Canadiens - 1 year x $1,000,000
Travis Morin - Montreal Canadiens - 2 years x $850,000
Chris Mueller - Montreal Canadiens - 2 years x $650,000
Carlo Colaiacovo - Arizona Coyotes - 4 years x $550,000

2nd Round of Bidding

Only those teams listed may submit a bid. The top bid is the one listed. I will contact you for your 2nd round offers (to speed up the process with so few players). You have until Friday, July 25 to respond.

Martin Erat - Carolina & Arizona - 4 years x $2,800,000
Matthew Lombardi - Montreal & San Jose - 2 years x $1,600,000

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
More signings to announce.

Ryan Reaves - Chicago Blackhawks - 4 years x $577,500
Tim Jackman - Arizona Coyotes - 4 years x $550,000
Martin Erat - Arizona Coyotes - 4 years x $3,000,000

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry FLA, but if the Zac Leslie you were thinking of is a defenseman for the Storm and property of the NHL LA Kings, that Zachary Leslie is property of the HFNHL Bruins.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Here are the results of the 2nd Round of Free Agency.

RFA

Slava Voynov (BOS) - Carolina Hurricanes - 1 year x $1,682,194 - MATCHED
Andrew MacDonald (STL) - Carolina Hurricanes - 1 year x $1,682,194 - MATCHED
Craig Smith (LA) - Ottawa Senators - 4 years x $3,364,391
Jordan Staal (TOR) - Toronto Maple Leafs - 4 years x $4,350,000 - resigns
Anton Stralman (TOR) - Toronto Maple Leafs - 4 years x $2,220,000 - resigns

Here's a reminder of the compensation chart:

OFFER – COMPENSATION

Cap Hit of offer sheet Draft Pick Compensation
$1,110,249 or below None
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third-round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second-round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First-round and third-round pick
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First-round, second-round and third-round pick
Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first-round picks, second-round pick, third-round pick
Over $8,410,976 Four first-round picks

Teams have until Friday, July 25 at 11:59 EST to match.

UDFA

Zac Leslie - Florida Panthers - 3 years x $925,000
Peter Quenneville - Florida Panthers - 3 years x $750,000
Joel Vermin - Minnesota Wild - 2 years x $700,000
Justin Dowling - Minnesota Wild - 2 years x $600,000
Francois Brassard - St. Louis Blues - 3 years x $550,000
Will Acton - Montreal Canadiens - 1 year x $650,000

UFA

Hal Gill - Florida Panthers - 1 year x $950,000
John Albert - Nashville Predators - 4 years x $550,000
Zach Sill - Montreal Canadiens - 1 year x $900,000
Rob Zepp - Montreal Canadiens - 1 year x $1,000,000
Travis Morin - Montreal Canadiens - 2 years x $850,000
Chris Mueller - Montreal Canadiens - 2 years x $650,000
Ryan Stanton - Ottawa Senators - 4 years x $550,000
Carlo Colaiacovo - Arizona Coyotes - 4 years x $550,000

2nd Round of Bidding

Only those teams listed may submit a bid. The top bid is the one listed. I will contact you for your 2nd round offers (to speed up the process with so few players). You have until Friday, July 25 to respond.

Martin Erat - Carolina & Arizona - 4 years x $2,800,000
Matthew Lombardi - Montreal & San Jose - 2 years x $1,600,000
Ryan Stanton signed his QO with us. He is not a UFA.

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Sorry FLA, but if the Zac Leslie you were thinking of is a defenseman for the Storm and property of the NHL LA Kings, that Zachary Leslie is property of the HFNHL Bruins.

Damn. The brutality of the UDFA season continues to strike at Florida.

I had him listed as not being drafted in my records, but probably because he went undrafted the first year in the NHL (when you took him).

My bad Rob.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
gee, no kidding eh!

it would be nice for the offering GM to explain his strategy with these offers.

Well, the league should be thankful they did make those offers, because if the player / agent were going to auto-sign the QO if there was no offer sheet, the Hurricanes just made a no risk move of ensuring two teams had to pay more for their respective players, than they would have otherwise. For my Blues, we are paying more than $1M more than MacDonald's QO, and it is only a 1 year deal, so MacDonald gets to test FA next year again.

Fellow GM's should be thanking the 'Canes stepped up. Not sure why no one else valued MacDonald or Voynov in any meaningful way, but the league's apathy towards both players certainly impacted their market value.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Fellow GM's should be thanking the 'Canes stepped up. Not sure why no one else valued MacDonald or Voynov in any meaningful way, but the league's apathy towards both players certainly impacted their market value.

I disagree with this completely.

Lack of willingness to part with good draft picks should not equal reduced market value but that's exactly how it's set up. RFA's in the NHL rarely sign offer sheets but their market values aren't deemed to have been impacted.

The Canes motives are fine with me and it did result in the teams paying more within our system, but that said, the system falls apart from there.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Lack of willingness to part with good draft picks should not equal reduced market value but that's exactly how it's set up. RFA's in the NHL rarely sign offer sheets but their market values aren't deemed to have been impacted.

The Canes motives are fine with me and it did result in the teams paying more within our system, but that said, the system falls apart from there.

Needs a "like" button

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Well, our league has had a very active RFA market for years, including many offer sheets that were not matched, and comp paid out. Plenty of offer sheets every year, going back as far as I can remember. There has always been a decent risk of letting your player hit the RFA market. A lot of GM's have been pretty upset at the offer sheets their players signed and they were forced to match.

In the end, if someone doesn't think Voynov or MacDonald are worth 2nd round picks, or they don't think Myers is worth a 1st round pick, then the incumbent GM benefits by having the market value dropped for their player, relative to the NHL cap hit. As you said yourself, if you don't want to part with a 2nd round pick for a guy like Voynov, then you can't be upset when he gets signed for a lower cap hit than he would have had otherwise. Especially relative to a lower QO.

If someone has a better suggestion for a system going forward, I'm sure we'd like to hear it, but just complaining about the existing system based on a couple of deals, well, that doesn't make much sense.

But I think part of the problem is our GM's value draft picks more than they should over established players. In the NHL, the Flyers traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Andrew MacDonald, and then paid him $5M per year over 6 years. No one in our league even wanted to offer him a contract that would require just a 2nd rounder as comp - so half his NHL deal. And to make it all the more ironic, my Blues don't have the cap room to match even $3M deal, so certainly for my division rivals, it was an opportunity lost to weaken my team.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Of note, if RFA's do not receive an offer sheet this round, they will accept their QO at one year with their current team.

Brock, then if no offers were made for Reaves then I should only get him for 1 year at $577,500. Not the 4 years

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
gee, no kidding eh!

it would be nice for the offering GM to explain his strategy with these offers.

First I'll begin by saying I don't feel I need to give you an explaination on my strategy. Just to amuse myself I'll do it anyways.

I will start by saying that both offers had no risk involved for me, a 3rd round pick which I'm pretty sure any GM in the league would give up their 3rd round pick in exchange for either player.

Slava Voynov, sure I might not have given him a large increase in salary, however it's only for 1 year. Not like I gift wrapped Boston a cap friendly deal for 4 years. Secondly, Boston has very little money in the bank and well every dollar counts. I've said for a while I will attack the teams with little money in the bank. In part because they are most likely to let the player I want to go for financial reasons. Maybe later in the year Boston has to start moving players out for financial reasons. Voynov has a no trade now until the end of the year because he was matched so that makes things potentially harder on them, in terms of managing the roster and finances.

Would I have offered more for Voynov? Yes in any other year I probably would have risked losing a first round pick. Not this year because it's the McDavid draft and one of the reported deepest in a long time. A draft that I have 4 first rounders 3 of which I believe have a shot at being in the lottery. So it doesn't make sense to lose a 1st in the upcoming draft.

It's only a 1 year deal, so next year Voynov is potentially a RFA again provided Boston doesn't sign him long term to his NHL deal. Guess what I have some first rounders in 2016 as well that I'm willing to sacrifice next offseason. So maybe the 1 year offer is my way of planning ahead for next year.

Andrew MacDonald, sorry Nick but the last thing I think you need is a top pairing maybe 2nd pairing d-man making just $600,000. So it's again no risk for me to add a million dollars to the Blues payroll. who as it stands are over the cap at the moment and will need to make some roster choices. Maybe my extra million forces him to move somebody he doesn't want to move. Also they matched MacDonald giving him a no trade.

Again would I have offered more? Yes in any other year except this, as explained above. Next year MacDonald I believe becomes a UFA so now the Blues have let him test the market or sign him to his NHL deal. In the mean time he's paying 1 million more and has to be maybe a little more creative to get under the cap.

Unfortunately the HFNHL doesn't have things like arbitration to ensure players aren't signed to deals like $600,000 for MacDonald instead of what his market value might actually be. So the only way of bringing those contracts up are via RFA offers. So why not throw out an offer that I'm comfortable with and hope maybe the GM is asleep at the wheel.... Also this isn't a knock on the agents, but when was the last time in the HFNHL that a player held out instead of signing their QO? I've never seen it in 5 1/2 years. If I was the agent I wouldn't want to hear the *****ing from GM's when I told them that their player was going to hold out.

So in closing next free agency I'll be putting out QO's again and most likely, those offers will be directed towards teams that have small amounts of money in the bank. In part because they are more likely to let the player go for financial reasons. Also maybe GM's should stop worrying about how other people run their clubs and instead worry more about how they are running their own clubs.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Well, our league has had a very active RFA market for years, including many offer sheets that were not matched, and comp paid out. Plenty of offer sheets every year, going back as far as I can remember. There has always been a decent risk of letting your player hit the RFA market. A lot of GM's have been pretty upset at the offer sheets their players signed and they were forced to match.

In the end, if someone doesn't think Voynov or MacDonald are worth 2nd round picks, or they don't think Myers is worth a 1st round pick, then the incumbent GM benefits by having the market value dropped for their player, relative to the NHL cap hit. As you said yourself, if you don't want to part with a 2nd round pick for a guy like Voynov, then you can't be upset when he gets signed for a lower cap hit than he would have had otherwise. Especially relative to a lower QO.

If someone has a better suggestion for a system going forward, I'm sure we'd like to hear it, but just complaining about the existing system based on a couple of deals, well, that doesn't make much sense.

But I think part of the problem is our GM's value draft picks more than they should over established players. In the NHL, the Flyers traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Andrew MacDonald, and then paid him $5M per year over 6 years. No one in our league even wanted to offer him a contract that would require just a 2nd rounder as comp - so half his NHL deal. And to make it all the more ironic, my Blues don't have the cap room to match even $3M deal, so certainly for my division rivals, it was an opportunity lost to weaken my team.

Touching on the bolded points...

Our league used to have a very active RFA period where offers weren't matched. The last I can think of is when Claudio (I think that's who it was) didn't match Seabrook and Gleason, but that was more an error than him not matching. People are a little more fiscally responsible now, evidenced by the fact Hossa didn't even get our old max offer of $8M.

That also feeds into the second part...people most definitely over value draft picks here. Especially those of us at the bottom end of the league. The divide in talent and finances is so great it seems the only way to recover from both is to have a bare bones payroll and draft a ton of prospects hoping to get lucky. That's obviously not the only way to go about things but it's turned into a favourite of many GM's.

And to the last point, perhaps people didn't offer MacDonald a 2nd round comp offer because they just figured it would be matched instantly? I know that's why I didn't bother with Voynov, I didn't think it stood a chance so why bother. Just because others feel the same way shouldn't mean these guys sign cheaper long term, which they could have if you or Rob had offered them deals like the Leafs did with Staal or Stralman.

I don't have any real issue with what happened with MacDonald or Voynov. My issue is with the potential to use this process to get them to sign long term cheaper deals, which you could have easily done if you chose to submit your own offer. We may have been asleep with offer sheets but the GM's holding any RFA rights (other than the Leafs and Islanders) missed a big opportunity as well.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
"Of note, if RFA's do not receive an offer sheet this round, they will accept their QO at one year with their current team."

So does this mean because I made him that offer its accepted. Otherwise he would have accepted his QO?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad