HFNHL Draft newbie looking for some information

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Bare with me here...I just have a few quick questions about this draft this year. I'm trying to prepare myself as much as I can for this and it's my first go around as a full fledged GM...and I don't want to miss anything.

1) Is there a CSV or XLS file of ALL the prospects who have opted into and/or who are available in the 2006 draft? The reason I ask is because I plan on putting together a small database application I can load all this information into and keep track of what prospects I like and keep track of who gets drafted and where, etc...if something like this is attractive for other people...I can probably make something like this available on the web and allow GM's to make their own comments and ranking and keep them private to only to that GM as well ;)

2) How long are we going to be on the clock when our picks are up? Are we allowed time outs just in case the "phone" get's busy? How long are they if we can? Are there penalties if we go over?

3) Can we skip picks if there's no one we want? Are there penalties involved?

4) I currently have Barrett Heisten on my Farm Roster. Is there anyway to put him back in with my prospects? This guy is still playing pro hockey, but he isn't anywhere near the NHL.

Thanks to anyone that can help...question (1) is the most pressing one for me at this moment...so anyone who can help with getting that data would get a beer from me! :)

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
SensGod said:
1) Is there a CSV or XLS file of ALL the prospects who have opted into and/or who are available in the 2006 draft?

The best bet is to check out the Central Scouting Ranks:

NorthAmerican Skaters
NorthAmerican Goalies
EuroSkaters
EuroGoalies

To my knowledge, in the new NHL, there is no 'opt in' for Junior A or NCAA players... every player of age (88 births?) is eligible... A good question is whether we are applying that rule to the HFNHL.

These files are .pdf so you'll have to cut and paste into a spreadsheet.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
SensGod said:
1) Is there a CSV or XLS file of ALL the prospects who have opted into and/or who are available in the 2006 draft?

I think most of the prospect hounds in the league will likely already have their own spreadsheets, with notes that they've been addoing over the course of the last year (or two...). That said, if you wanted to make a clean spreadsheet of the CSB lists, I'm sure there are a number of GMs who would gladly scam it off you. Be careful to note that some players not drafted in the NHL last year were drafted in the HFNHL, so not everyone on the CSB list will still be draft eligible in our league. (The reverse is also true - some players drafted in the NHL were undrafted in the HFNHL, and so are still likely draft eligible - subject to their age - even though they're not on the CSB list for this year.) The draft-eligible window, if I remember correctly, is two years and a bit: in this case, anyone born January 1st 1986 to September 15th 1988. I might be wrong, it might but January 1st 1987... (damn my porous memory!).

SensGod said:
2) How long are we going to be on the clock when our picks are up? Are we allowed time outs just in case the "phone" get's busy? How long are they if we can? Are there penalties if we go over?

We don't time it, exactly, unless you're starting to drag your feet, then we give a specific window, e.g. you have three minutes. You can ask for a time-out if there is a trade in the works. Your time-out will give you a set amount of time, after which there's a "going, going, gone" sort of rule in effect. You will be given a chance to commit on your pick, and it will be made clear that you need to pick or forfeit. Most often people make a pick (or compelte a trade), but every now and then someone waffles too long and misses their pick. That's the only penalty, but it's enough, and it helps keep the draft moving.

SensGod said:
3) Can we skip picks if there's no one we want? Are there penalties involved?

If you don't want to use your pick, and there's noone willing to trade for it, you can certainly forfeit it. There is no penalty.

SensGod said:
4) I currently have Barrett Heisten on my Farm Roster. Is there anyway to put him back in with my prospects? This guy is still playing pro hockey, but he isn't anywhere near the NHL.

Heisten cannot return to your prospect list unless he leaves North America to play in Europe. Otherwise, you can either choose to try and resign him, or let him walk as a free agent. Sorry.

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Thank you all for your responses.

I found a program that allowed me to strip out the pdf files linked to above and convert them into XLS or CSV files.

If you are interested in them...I'm willing to share. Just PM me with an email address and I'll forward them on.

Cheers,

SG

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
SensGod said:
Thank you all for your responses.

I found a program that allowed me to strip out the pdf files linked to above and convert them into XLS or CSV files.

If you are interested in them...I'm willing to share. Just PM me with an email address and I'll forward them on.

Cheers,

SG

Thanks, Laurens. One suggestion would be to upload the files (one .xls and one .csv) to the League's yahoogroup files - just create a folder for "2006 Entry Draft" and dump them in there. That way when we have the draft order and results, they can be filed in the same folder.

Much appreciated!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Ohio Jones said:
I believe it's set for June 17th at 10 AM EST (7 AM PST, 3 PM GMT), but look for an official announcement from Matt on that.

Cool, heading to Ireland for 10 days on June 28th. Glad I will be able to participate live.

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
kasper11 said:
I too would appreciate it if you could add those files to the message group folder.

I hope what I did was "okay"

I created a folder on the Message Group called "2006 Entry Draft" in the files section.

I've uploaded the csv files that I have there.

Enjoy!

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Ohio Jones said:
Thanks, Laurens. One suggestion would be to upload the files (one .xls and one .csv) to the League's yahoogroup files - just create a folder for "2006 Entry Draft" and dump them in there. That way when we have the draft order and results, they can be filed in the same folder.

Much appreciated!

lol...I didn't see this post yet...I read your MIND! :confused:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Wild GM said:
Cool, heading to Ireland for 10 days on June 28th. Glad I will be able to participate live.

Same here.. I am going to Nigeria and Uganda for 10 days on May 27th.. somehow I don't think I would have had much chance to participate in a live draft while there....

Matthew

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Ohio Jones said:
I apologise - that must have been boring... ;)

Actually it went pretty quick.

It was a small application I found online...you load up the pdf into it and it spits out an XLS or CSV. Went pretty quick.

There was some formatting and massaging that needed to be done, but the whole thing didn't take much more than about 2 hours.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
SensGod said:
Actually it went pretty quick.

It was a small application I found online...you load up the pdf into it and it spits out an XLS or CSV. Went pretty quick.

There was some formatting and massaging that needed to be done, but the whole thing didn't take much more than about 2 hours.

Thanks for doing that. I meant that reading my mind must have been pretty boring - not much going on in there... :confused:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
HFNHL Flames said:
Same here.. I am going to Nigeria and Uganda for 10 days on May 27th.. somehow I don't think I would have had much chance to participate in a live draft while there....

Matthew

Wow....and I thought I was a man of the world. :)

What takes you there?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Wild GM said:
Wow....and I thought I was a man of the world. :)

What takes you there?

Work. (see more below)

I've travelled around Africa quite a bit (was actually born and lived in South Africa 'till I was 12)... but have never been to this part of Central/East Africa. I'm really looking forward to it now... though I doubt I'll be watching any hockey games or scouting prospects, but.. you never know.. My Dad (who was 3rd generation South African) actually played hockey in RSA when he was a teenager..

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Donga said:
Matt, are you at TV person from memory? You doing a doco with Richard Attenborough? ;)

Good memory... and I'm actually finishing a doc set in Uganda for CBC and Nature of Things right now, though unrelated in any way to my upcoming trip & Richard A... this upcoming trip is research for a feature film I've been hired to write...

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
HFNHL Flames said:
Work. (see more below)

I've travelled around Africa quite a bit (was actually born and lived in South Africa 'till I was 12)... but have never been to this part of Central/East Africa. I'm really looking forward to it now... though I doubt I'll be watching any hockey games or scouting prospects, but.. you never know.. My Dad (who was 3rd generation South African) actually played hockey in RSA when he was a teenager..
wow, they actually play hockey in South Africa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad