HFNHL Draft Lottery Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

I know for many GM's drafts are one of the greater attraction points of the HFNHL and as such the model for determining draft orders for this season has been the subject of extensive discussion and debate for months now in the admin team.
We have discussed the pro's and con's of several models ranging from using the rumoured NHL Bettman model (based on last 3 years performance) to simply giving even odds to all teams and even doing a hockey pool type ranking of projected finishing positions had there been an HFNHL 2004/05 season. In short all of them had significant challenges/drawbacks and none of them were supported by even a simple majority. In the end the 'least worst' option was agreed upon which is relatively staright forward.
Based on the 2003/04 HFNHL season final regular season standings the worst 10 teams will recieve 3 lottery picks, 2 for teams 11 to 20, and 1 for the remaining teams.
The draft will also be conducted in a snake format (ie 30th will also pick 31st) in the 2005/06 HFNHL entry draft.
In casually reviewing this, as compared to the projecting of theoretical finishing positions options, the differences were only 2 or 3 and even then many teams are 'incomplete' so speculating on what might have been and what moves GM's would have made during the course of a season is fruitless.

We are holding off on conducting the draft lottery for only a little while longer so stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Is this the time I should start kicking myself for trading my 1st in 2005 a couple of years ago? I finished almost last this year so I guess Sharks should be happy to have three extra lottery picks.

Since the team who picks 30th will also pick 31st I dont have a pick until around 60th but I guess my MODO players will be still around then so I shouldnt worry :)

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Based on the 2003/04 HFNHL season final regular season standings the worst 3 teams will recieve 3 lottery picks, 2 for teams 11 to 20, and 1 for the remaining teams.

What about teams 4-10? Are they getting 3 lottery picks, or are they as it now says in the "remaining teams" getting only one lottery pick?

Also, do we have a date on when the draft will be held?

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
To clarify...

-The worst 10 teams will each receive 3 "ping-pong balls".
-Teams 11-20 will each receive 2 "ping-pong balls".
-Team 21-30 will each receive 1 "ping-pong ball".

The "ping-pong balls" will then be selected at random to determine the draft order. At the outset of the draft, the worst 10 teams will each have a 5% chance of grabbing the first pick. Teams 11-20 will each have a 3.33% chance, and teams 21-30 will each have a 1.67% chance.

To answer Ville's question, the draft will not be held until at least two weeks after the final CSB lists have been released...whenever that is.

HFNHL Red Wings

Doh! Sorry about the confusion my typo caused. Thanks for clarifying Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->