HFNHL Canucks Top 20 Prospects

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Not sure when this was last updated, so starting fresh and doing a quick once over as the Sim God reminded me to send in some belated inputs for the Prospect Handbook.

Canucks Top 10
1) Thomas Chabot: Although his first half was lower profile than other top defence prospects like McAvoy and Sergachev, but he's finally won some confidence with Boucher. He's putting up some points, playing on the top powerplay and his metrics in both zones are very good.

2) Robert Thomas: Just keeps getting better. In a year when several of his cohorts like Glass and Suzuki missed the cut at the WJC, Thomas anchored the second line. He should star next year if the Blues release him, because he is likely in his last year of junior.

3) Jakub Vrana: After a bumpy season in the AHL last year, Vrana has performed well in Washington, sliding up and down the line-up. Has gamebreaking speed and can finish, and could develop into a real threat on the forecheck, but vision and playmaking not at the same level yet.

4) Tristan Jarry: Statistically has outperformed Matt Murray in 18 games in Pittsburgh, and if he keeps this up, will probably force a trade. Unlikely he will unseat Murray long-term, but clearly one of the very best goalie prospects in the world and now on the verge of graduation.

5) Adam Gaudette: In 18 months since being drafted into the HFNHL, Gaudette has gone from late round re-entry to Hobey Baker favourite. Leads the NCAA in points as a junior, has all the tools and is a legitimate centre. The only question is upside at this point. Could be in the NHL next season.

6) Jake Walman: His first full professional season has been disappointing, at least in part because St. Louis does not have its own AHL affiliate. The last cut in training camp, Walman remains a potentially dynamic blueliner with plenty of tools on the blueline and the size to defend. Will slide down the list without a better second half.

7) Henri Jokiharju: A major riser this season who could easily jump ahead of Walman shortly, Jokiharju has been electric in the WHL and was one of the few standouts on a disappointing Finnish WJC team. Very mobile and highly intelligent with the puck, his defensive game should continue to improve.

8) Connor Timmins: Another riser, Timmins has had a fantastic season and was rock solid at the WJC on a depleted Canadian blueline that struggled with injuries on its Gold Medal run. Timmins has outstanding hockey sense, which he is increasingly showing in all zones, even if his size and skating are average.

9) John Quenneville: After a surprisingly strong first year in the AHL, Quenneville has held steady this year and is likely ready for a real shot in the NHL. Unfortunately, Jesper Bratt essentially stole his spot and the Devils have been surprising all year. Most likely a matter of time for John Q.

10) Boris Katchouk: One of the hardest working players around, Katchouk has developed into one of the best players in major junior in his final season in the Soo, and was strong throughout the WJC. At 6'3" and with his skating ability, Katchouk will play in the NHL, it's just a question of how much offence carries over.

11) Zach Senyshyn: On the surface similar to Katchouk, but in fact quite different. Senyshyn brings a similar size and skating combination, and better pure goal scoring ability, but he remains somewhat one-dimensional. Has been good but not great in his first few months as a pro. Still a project.

12) Andrew Peeke: With size, mobility and improving puck skills, Peeke is in the new mold of a defence-first blueliner in the NHL. Has developed well in Notre Dame, the #1 team in the NCAA this year, and has some offence, but likely more of a Marc Methot kind of player in the NHL down the line.

13) Josh Norris: An NHL first rounder who performed reasonably well at the WJC, few doubt that Norris will play in the NHL, but the question remains one of upside. A centre with broad tools and good skills, the best case scenario here is something like HFNHL Canuck JT Miller.

14) Alex Formenton: Drafted as a wild card who came out of nowhere in his draft year, flashed plus-plus skating, and was almost 2018 eligible, Formenton's profile is clearer now. An elite skater and forechecker who can finish in open ice, the question will be the continued development of his offensive game.

15) Reilly Walsh: A late cut for the USA WJC team only a few months out of high school hockey, Walsh has been dynamic at Harvard as a freshman. Possesses all the offensive tools but raw otherwise. Could rise like Walman in the next year or two.

16) Will Borgen: Effective to the point of being boring, Borgen is off to the Olympics for team USA and is a rock on the #3 ranked St. Cloud State. Similar to Peeke, he has size and mobility, can handle the puck but profiles as a defensive zone player in the new NHL. Possibly undervalued so low here.

17) Adam Erne: A major tumbler on this list after failing to build on a strong sophomore year in the AHL and not sticking in Tampa this year. Struggled out of the gate but thriving now, Erne as always goes through stretches of being physical dominant and a threat to score, and stretches of near irrelevancy on the ice.

18) Nick Baptiste: Similar to Erne, but perhaps with less upside and less disappointment this year. Baptiste has size, skating and some finish, he has seemingly taken a step backwards this year and has a closing window to break into the NHL with Buffalo.

19) Dominik Masin: Another defence-first blueliner with some size, mobility and puck skills, Masin has taken a step forward this year and is not far off from a call-up. Whether there is room in Tampa down the line is another question.

20) Jayce Hawryluk: Similar to last year, Hawryluk got off to a slow start in part due to injuries and is now starting to find his groove. Definitely a potential tweener, he may not quite be skilled enough to play on a scoring line, or big and durable enough to play on a checking line.

Graduated:

Mike Matheson: Off the list now that he's in his second NHL season and is signed to a long-term extension.

Anton Slepyshev: Has not found his groove yet in the NHL, but unlikely he goes back to the AHL either.

Nikita Soshnikov: Similar to Slepyshev, albeit a different style of player.

Honourable Mentions:

Dennis Yan: Pure skill player has played well in spurts as a first year pro.

Carl Dahlstrom: Underwhelming stay-at-home blueliner has suddenly found offence in his second year in Rockford. Will reassess at the end of the year.

Jack Dougherty: Similar to Masin, but has not put up the same numbers this year.

Kalle Kossila: Most likely a AAAA player, but one of the best in the AHL at this point.

Will Lockwood: If the numbers at Michigan were a tick better, I would have him higher. Plus-skating and flashes great hands.

Jack Badini: Another late cut for the USA WJC team, Badini likely cracks the top 20 if he continues his strong freshman year at Harvard.

Artur Kayumov: A strong WJC has resurrected his prospect status.

John Marino: Toolsy blueliner in the mold of Peeke and Borgen, but less refined and consistent.

Ben Thomas: Has been good but not great after a surprisingly strong first year in the AHL.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I love how this constitutes a “quick once over”.

The depth is crazy, and the quality and number of risers is disturbing. Glad I’m not in the West.

Of all your standout WJC performances, the one that stood out for me is Matchbox 20 frontman Rob Thomas. (Also known as the creator of both Veronica Mars and I, Zombie.)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I love how this constitutes a “quick once over”.

The depth is crazy, and the quality and number of risers is disturbing. Glad I’m not in the West.

Of all your standout WJC performances, the one that stood out for me is Matchbox 20 frontman Rob Thomas. (Also known as the creator of both Veronica Mars and I, Zombie.)

Admittedly got a bit more carried away writing it up, as I often do. It was a once through over lunch, but less quick than anticipated.

I actually wasn't blown away by Thomas at the WJC - it was Timmins who really exceeded by expectations - but that may be because of how well he's played all year. Any questions about finish and upside are quickly being answered.

really fantastic pool here as usual. reilly walsh is going to stick in my craw for a long time. he looks like the real deal early on.

I liked his profile, and there were a minority of reports that touted his tools, but last year's half-season in the USHL was nothing special, so his quick start at Harvard has been a very pleasant surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->