HFBoards Unofficial Watch List

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to try and make an unofficial watch list for both 2004 and 2005.

Please post below who you think stands as the top prospect(s) for each draft. Accompany the name with as much information as you have, statistical and or descriptive. Hopefully this will become a resource for people to come to in order to see the players/positions/stats/teams/attributes. I will try and update this and verify the information on team websites...

Please do not post on this thread unless you have solid information from first hand observations.

What I'm looking for is more along the lines of a small profile/statistical information. Not lists. My aim here is quality over quantity. Please don't post names without accompanying statistical information. I'm going to make a list then add profiles later on as I get time. Please help me by giving me as much statistical information as you possibly can.

Daniel Ryder - F - (5'11 180) - Peterborough Petes (OHL)
Jeff Likens - D - University of Wisconsin (NCAA)
Robbie Earl - University of Wisconsin (NCAA)

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Ryder

Daniel Ryder of the Petes has shown amazing ability so far early in the year. Listed at 5'11, 180 on the Petes website, from Bonavista Newfoundland (Brother of Mike Ryder, Montreal Canadiens).

In his last 2 games he's got 4 goals. In Kingston he had a go ahead goal, to only have that matched by Kingston in the final minute with a pulled goalie. Then in OT he came in and scored an amazing goal. In Barrie the next day he had both goals in a 3-2 loss.

He's tied for 3rd on Petes scoring with 14 points in 21 games. 9 goals, 5 assists. He's 8th in rookie scoring for the OHL, having 3-4 games on hand to most players. He's scored 2 shorthanded goals, one of those was a very nice goal as well.

He will be a member of the Atlantic Under 17 team.

Another Pete for the 2004 draft is Liam Reddox (5'11, 185). He wasn't rated on the CSB but in my opinion, he is better then Jordan Morrison (21st) and Patrick Kaleta (23rd) offencively. He is 5th in OHL rookie scoring, and same case with Ryder has 3-4 games in hand on most. He is second on Petes scoring with 7 goals and 9 assists. Last season he played for the Wellington Dukes, and was the OHA Jr.A rookie of the year.

X-SHARKIE

Jeff Likens and Robbie Earl have definitly caught my eye as of late. I have season tickets for the Badgers. Earl has alot of offensive talent, he sees the ice very well, he is quick on his feet, and a deft stickhandler. He sets up the man very well. He has good balance and is hard to knock off the puck. He is small though, but he has played solid defensivly as well.

Jeff Likens ...Ryan Suters partner, has looked great as well! Just a good all around defensman, a big guy, offensivly gifted, very nice shot. Works the powerplay well, great outlet passer. Could be a 4-5-6th defensman in the NHL.

My top 10 has changed from the begining of the season.

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Robbie Schremp...I recieved a new tape on this guy and I was blown away. I'm looking past his pre modana stuff becuase I know its not that bad. He has looked very very good. Just so offensivly gifted.
3. Rostislav Olesz. The most talented Czech in the draft, very good. Hardworking player, not as much skill as last years Czech Michalek. But has the upside of a powerforward in the league, very agressive and is skilled.
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Lauri Tukonen
6. Cam Barker
7. Wojtek Wolski
8. Drew Stafford
9. Alexandre Picard
10. Evan McGrath

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Jeff Likens and Robbie Earl have definitly caught my eye as of late. I have season tickets for the Badgers. Earl has alot of offensive talent, he sees the ice very well, he is quick on his feet, and a deft stickhandler. He sets up the man very well. He has good balance and is hard to knock off the puck. He is small though, but he has played solid defensivly as well.

Jeff Likens ...Ryan Suters partner, has looked great as well! Just a good all around defensman, a big guy, offensivly gifted, very nice shot. Works the powerplay well, great outlet passer. Could be a 4-5-6th defensman in the NHL.

Two clarifications: 1) Likens has spent much of the season thus far being paired with Suter on the PP. Suter has been paired with Tom Gilbert in non-PP situations. Likens has been paired with senior Dan Boeser in non-PP situations.

2) Likens is not a big guy unless you consider 5'11 to be big. Now he DOES play bigger than his size though. ;)

Other than the aforementioned, X-Sharkie hit the nail on the head about Likens. However, I would like to add this: He's got heart and he works hard. He's amassed 5 points thus far (0G, 5A), is at even in the +/- department and has 12 PIMs.

Robbie Earl: Has the makings to become a very good power forward. Excellent skater with good hands. He very good along the boards and is not afraid to crash the net. He's feisty and is the perennial "pest" to opposing players who have the unenviable task of having to defend against him. His feistiness has also gotten him in some trouble (as evidenced in the weekend series versus Quinnipiac earlier this season). The 5'11/173 Earl has amassed 7 pts thus far (5G, 2A), is a +1 and has amassed 8 PIMs.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
PanthersRule said:
1Ovechkin
2Malkin
3Wolski
4Olesz
5Schremp
6Tukonen
7Barker
8McGrath
9Picard
10Stafford

Not disagreeing necessarily but why Barker over Chipchura? Chipchura has picked it up a lot this year and is receiving the attention expected a year or so ago.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Earl has alot of offensive talent, he sees the ice very well, he is quick on his feet, and a deft stickhandler. He sets up the man very well. He has good balance and is hard to knock off the puck. He is small though, but he has played solid defensivly as well.

I would completely disagree on one comment. Earl is not hard to knock off the puck. In fact, I would say that is one of the biggest weaknesses in his game right now. I have seen him lose the puck quite often even when an opponent puts evena slight bodycheck on him. His skating ability is pretty good though so that helps him cover that weakness up at times.

Earl is not power forward material. I think the term "power forward" gets thrown around a little too loosely on this board. When I think of a power forward, I think of somebody who does the majority of his best work around the boards and creating havoc in front of the net. Earl isn't adept at those things. He is more finesse and uses his speed to create opportunities. Its not that he is afraid to hit opponents and to muck around the boards but a strong part of his game.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
PanthersRule said:
1Ovechkin
2Malkin
3Wolski
4Olesz
5Schremp
6Tukonen
7Barker
8McGrath
9Picard
10Stafford

now is this your own rankings with your own opnions or just you taking CSB and putting them together in this...this...thing...? I'm not even going to argue the Wolski-Schremp argument here, cause well thats not what this thread is about! but Wolski-Olesz??? switch that up and repost it plz!

Scott (who wonders who would named their kid Wojtek? I think thats the brand of mouse im using!)

Last edited:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
I would completely disagree on one comment. Earl is not hard to knock off the puck. In fact, I would say that is one of the biggest weaknesses in his game right now. I have seen him lose the puck quite often even when an opponent puts evena slight bodycheck on him. His skating ability is pretty good though so that helps him cover that weakness up at times.

Earl is not power forward material. I think the term "power forward" gets thrown around a little too loosely on this board. When I think of a power forward, I think of somebody who does the majority of his best work around the boards and creating havoc in front of the net. Earl isn't adept at those things. He is more finesse and uses his speed to create opportunities. Its not that he is afraid to hit opponents and to muck around the boards but a strong part of his game.

Actually I have seen Earl do exactly what you've stated as far as what being a power forward is (according to your definition).

FYI, I don't use the term "power forward" loosely. There are NCAA players that some may deem as "power forwards" that I would beg to differ on, simply because I have not seen the characteristics that would make him as such. Also, you will note that I said Earl "had the makings to become a very good power forward".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->