HFBoards Top 50 Prospects Ranking #12 (closed)

• Cutter Gauthier - C/LW

• Brandt Clarke - D

• Kent Johnson - C

• Matthew Savoie - C

• Lukas Reichel - C/W

• Wyatt Johnston - C

• William Eklund - LW

• Dylan Guenther - RW

• David Jiricek - D

• Alexander Holtz - RW

• Marco Rossi - C

• Matt Coronato - RW

• Shane Pinto - C

• Cole Perfetti - C/LW

• Logan Stankoven - C

• Olen Zellweger - D

• John Peterka - LW

• Dylan Holloway - C

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
:HFB: TOP 50 PROSPECTS

Criteria is 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Owen Power - D:sabres18.35.
2. Matty Beniers - C:seattle19.36.
3. Jake Sanderson - D:sens20.37.
4. Luke Hughes - D:devils21.38.
5. Juraj Slafkovský - LW:habs22.39.
6. Shane Wright - C:seattle23.40.
7. Simon Edvinsson - D:wings24.41.
8. Mason McTavish - C:ducks225.42.
9. Jack Quinn - W:sabres26.43.
10. Logan Cooley - C:coyotes27.44.
11. Šimon Nemec - D:devils28.45.

To add:
Bobby Brink - RW
Joakim Kemell - RW
Frank Nazar - C
Marco Kasper - C
Jakob Pelletier - LW
Hendrix Lapierre - C
Nick Robertson - LW
Vitali Kravtsov - RW
Brennan Othmann - LW
Zachary Bolduc - C
Ridly Greig - C
Vinne Heinola - D
Maverick Bourque - C
Nikita Chibrikov - RW
Chaz Lucius - C
Sakir Mukhamadullin - D
Luke Evangelista - RW
Thomas Bordeleau - C
Fedor Svechkov - C
Jacob Perrault - RW
Brendan Brisson - C
Topi Niemela - D
Kaiden Guhle - D
Jonatan Berggren - RW
Aatu Raty - C

Past lists:
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 2021)
HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL) (winter 2020-21)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects (summer 2019)
Top 50 Drafted Prospects 2018: #46 - #50 (summer 2018)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects #50 FINAL (summer 2017)

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Perfetti

From my post in the last poll:

Last year he was just under a point per game in the AHL as a 19 year old and prior to his injury looked every bit like an NHL regular and made pretty much everyone who played with him better. His CF% was second on the team behind Ehlers and his GF% was 3rd. He also wasn't doing it in particularly sheltered min. (like most jets forwards he was average QoC.) His 2 most common linemates (Connor and Dubois) were both considerably better when Perfetti was on the ice with them, particularly in the defensive zone.

That is a relatively small sample size, so he he could take a step back, but if he continues that level of play he's already a top 6 forward and he's still only 20 years old. .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Johnson
Jiricek

I've had those two on the board for a while. Then I'm not really sure - Gauthier is a safe bet top six beast by my account. Rossi, Perfetti, Peterka, and Reichel have been tearing up the AHL.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Wyatt Johnston. Imagine how much hype would be around the kid if he were drafted by almost any team other than Dallas.
I don't think he'd be super hyped even if he were an Oiler.... Producing lots in the CHL in your D+1 isn't as impressive as producing in the AHL. He needs to show he's the real deal against men before establishing himself as a top 10 prospect imo.

Reactions: majormajor

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don't think he'd be super hyped even if he were an Oiler.... Producing lots in the CHL in your D+1 isn't as impressive as producing in the AHL. He needs to show he's the real deal against men before establishing himself as a top 10 prospect imo.
Given that Dallas expects him to have a legit shot at making the team - doubt he ever see’s the AHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thats a bit misleading.

Johnston dominated the CHL as d +1, 2nd year OHL player and 18 years old. That puts him in a range with John Tavares, Taylor Hall and Matthew Tkachuk.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thats a bit misleading.

Johnston dominated the CHL as d +1, 2nd year OHL player and 18 years old. That puts him in a range with John Tavares, Taylor Hall and Matthew Tkachuk.

I think there's still a good argument to prefer players that are doing it in the AHL or NCAA.

That's been my rule of thumb for years and if anything, OHL has regressed in difficulty recently. Maybe you can make a great case for Wyatt on talent (I'd like to hear it) but the points + age alone doesn't put him over players like KJ that have done well at higher levels. There's guys on the board who I could imagine scoring ridiculous totals in the OHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think there's still a good argument to prefer players that are doing it in the AHL or NCAA.

That's been my rule of thumb for years and if anything, OHL has regressed in difficulty recently. Maybe you can make a great case for Wyatt on talent (I'd like to hear it) but the points + age alone doesn't put him over players like KJ that have done well at higher levels. There's guys on the board who I could imagine scoring ridiculous totals in the OHL.
I agree that if you dominate higher levels of hockey at the same level its worth more, its just logical progression.

You have to consider their production relatively though, Johnson wasnt even first in PPG for 19 YOs and when comparing him historically theres dozens of players that have produced more in the past few years, meanwhile Johnston has like 8 or 9 players ahead of him.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Rossi should be getting more love especially if people are touting Johnston’s D+1 OHL season. I think I’d have him after Kent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad