Jack Campbell
Ville Husso
Jordan Binnington
Jeremy Swayman
Carey Price (maybe...)

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Markstrom is the last of the classic, true #1s, although Oettinger probably joins that group this year.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Markstrom is no better than andersen.... If i can swap him for Gibson for next yr only id do it. But 7/8 is probably around where marky should be

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Karel Vejmelka

Arizona makes him look much worse than he really is

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In all seriousness, I voted Markstrom. I would definitely have Kuemper after him.

Gibson (as per usual) is really overrated here based on what he used to be. I'm pretty sure I'd say he's the most overrated goalie in the league right now. He's a .904% over the last 3 years and 142 games played. Since we are in a declining save percentage era, that's probably not horrific like it probably would have the 3 years before that (when Gibson was still elite) but it's also below average and not good.

Kuemper is actually underrated at this point and I think it's because of his poor performance in winning the cup where the Avalanche won very much in spite of him (and in spite of Francouz when he played) and his play.

But Kuemper was GREAT in the regular season and has certainly been in the top 7 or 8 (if not higher) of goalies in the league over the last 5 years.

I have said that I think he may have had his last great season in the league and he is an injury case and that might only push him towards not being good anymore, but outside of literally his last 13 games (since getting the eye injury) his play over the last combined 5 years has been very good. I'd bet his save percentage even including last playoffs is not much under .920% over the last 5 years. That's really good in a declining save percentage era.

I could argue Kuemper ahead of Markstrom, but he gets a few points taken off for being an injury case, as well as my own speculatory belief that his best days are nearing their end.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Gotta go with Markstrom here.

Jonathan Quick should probably be added to the list before some of the other suggestions. He hasn't fallen off nearly as badly as many think.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gotta go with Markstrom here.

Jonathan Quick should probably be added to the list before some of the other suggestions. He hasn't fallen off nearly as badly as many think.
Bounced back after 3 poor years. I'm skeptical it will continue, due to age and the prior 3 years, especially if he continues to be the starter because Cal Petersen can't take it from him.

I'm not sure why Petersen was so bad last year, because he passed my eye test, but he was clearly heavily outplayed by Quick. And they seemed to give him a legit chance to allow him to take the starting job from Quick (they didn't really allow him to in past years) and he badly flopped.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bounced back after 3 poor years. I'm skeptical it will continue, due to age and the prior 3 years, especially if he continues to be the starter because Cal Petersen can't take it from him.

I'm not sure why Petersen was so bad last year, because he passed my eye test, but he was clearly heavily outplayed by Quick. And they seemed to give him a legit chance to allow him to take the starting job from Quick (they didn't really allow him to in past years) and he badly flopped.
I won't argue, but for consistency in the poll, Bobrovsky had a rebound year after a few bad ones and he is already on the list. There are guys with half a year as a starter being suggested as going on the poll. I certainly wouldn't vote for Quick next, but I would expect he should be on the list soon, is all I was saying.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I won't argue, but for consistency in the poll, Bobrovsky had a rebound year after a few bad ones and he is already on the list. There are guys with half a year as a starter being suggested as going on the poll. I certainly wouldn't vote for Quick next, but I would expect he should be on the list soon, is all I was saying.
Agree with you on Bob. His first two years in Florida were bad and also saw him lose his starting job in the playoffs to both Driedger and Knight. I'm also not convinced he'll be as good going forward as he was this past year.

I'm not sure Florida management buys it either. I think they'd like to hand the keys over to Knight at some point this season, but Bob's contract is almost untradeable. He'd probably have to agree to waiving it to teams he wouldn't wanna waive for.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Gibson (as per usual) is really overrated here based on what he used to be. I'm pretty sure I'd say he's the most overrated goalie in the league right now. He's a .904% over the last 3 years and 142 games played. Since we are in a declining save percentage era, that's probably not horrific like it probably would have the 3 years before that (when Gibson was still elite) but it's also below average and not good.

Didn't you hear though? SV% doesn't matter for goalies anymore. Neither does GSAA. When they're on bad teams it doesn't matter how bad the stats are, it's only the team's fault! Unless you perform really well on a bad team. Then you're obviously a worse goalie than the goalie with terrible stats on an equally bad team.

Reactions: Bleedred

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
well, Markstroms got this one wrapped up. I wonder who takes the next one? ...

Definitely feels like we wrapped up a clear "tier" of netminders with Markstrom here. Hence a bit of a runaway result.

Pretty wide open among a lot of names after this. I think Gibson probably takes it, as there are still quite a few believers that he's at least close to being in that upper tier still. But it's far from unanimous, so i guess we'll see.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad