HFBoards' 2017 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread II

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Resurrecting this thread since I've been thinking about it and since it came up in the CL Final thread.

Looking to see when we'd like to do the 2018 draft. Options would be pretty much right away right now, but that would mean bleeding into the CL Final and the World Cup. which I personally think is a bad idea (though fair point to @YNWA14 who says people might be online more). Or we could start it after the World Cup which would allow everyone to enjoy it more and give us a break between official matches.

Also looking to get an early gauge of who'd be interested. I would stress that ANYONE and EVERYONE is welcome to join. However I would caution that you consider the commitment if you've not participated before. 22-25 rounds will take a good month to get through as has been the case previously. Of course you can count me in.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think we should try to start by FA Cup weekend. There will be a bit of a gap after matchweek 38, but CL Final and World Cup will bring people to the board.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Obviously, I'm in.

...and yeah I gave my opinion on the starting time. I think now would be a good idea since it'll take some time to set up and people should be pretty active between now and the end of the World Cup (or usually are).

Also in retrospect I'm pretty happy with my team. The players are there to run a Klopp-esque set up.

Mertens - Firmino - Robben*
Wijnaldum - Kante
Martinez
Emerson - Koulibaly - de Vrij* - Meunier
de Gea​

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I forgot how much I liked my team for a newborn club. My Milan contingent had failed spectacularly...Belotti (they didn't pull him in last summer, but their awfulness still managed to infect him), Kalinic, Musacchio...and Rulli apparently bombed badly after his move last summer. While half my Germans had some injury problems (Timo & Boa).

But pretty much all of my kids made good-to-massive strides, except Diawara, and I'd still just adore watching someone like Nagelsmann, Tuchel or Favre teach:

Sanchez - Werner
Sane - Kovacec - Zielinski - Chiesa
Paredes
Soyuncu - Boateng - Christensen
Onana

or

Lexi - Timo - Sane
Florenzi* - Kovacec - Paredes - Chiesa
Soyuncu - Boateng - Christensen
Onana

Bench:
Belotti, Kalinic, Kean, Vinicius Jr., Sessegnon*, Havertz, Florenzi/Zielinski, Diawara, Musacchio, Mere, Rulli
Don't have a LB to let me play a back 4 without just pushing Soyuncu out of position to cover that spot; almost all of my wide options only fit as WBs around a back 3 and would have to play winger if we went straight back 4. Though both Diawara & Zielinski fit the profile of MFs who could make the transition successfully if I just planted one of them at FB during the summer & told them to settle in cause they'd be there all year...like what happened to Alaba & Kimmich...but since neither actually has any experience in that position, that's too speculative even for me :laugh:

There's a lot of big talents who have not yet been picked; though I'm happy with Kai...anyways, will do a big tactics post sometime this weekend, but here's my depth chart and most common lineups:

FW
Sanchez
Belotti
Werner
Kalinic
Kean
Vinicius Jr.
Havertz

W
Sanchez
Sane
Vinicius Jr.
Havertz
Chiesa

WB
Sane
Florenzi
Chiesa
Sessegnon

MF
Paredes
Kovacec
Zielinski
Diawara
Havertz

CB
Boateng
Christensen
Soyuncu / Musacchio
Soyuncu / Musacchio
Mere

GK
Rulli
Onana

3-4-3
Sanchez - Belotti - Werner
Sane* - Paredes - Kovacec - Florenzi*
Christensen - Boateng - Soyuncu**
Rulli

Kalinic | Kean | Vinicius Jr. | Chiesa* | Sessegnon* | Havertz | Zielinski | Diawara | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

3-3-4
Sanchez* - Belotti* - Werner* - Sane*
Kovacec - Zielinski
Paredes
Rulli

Kalinic* | Kean* | Vinicius Jr.* | Chiesa* | Sessegnon* | Florenzi | Havertz | Diawara | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

3-1-4-2 (defensive)
Sanchez - Belotti/Werner
Sane - Kovacec* - Diawara* - Florenzi
Paredes
Rulli

Belotti/Werner | Kalinic | Kean | Vinicius Jr. | Chiesa | Sessegnon | Havertz | Zielinski* | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

4-3-3
Sanchez - Belotti - Werner
Kovacec - Zielinski
Paredes
Chiesa* - Christensen - Boateng - Florenzi
Rulli

Kalinic | Kean | Sane | Vinicius Jr. | Sessegnon* | Havertz | Diawara | Soyuncu* | Musacchio | Mere* | Onana​

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I could participate too, depending on what the buffet is.

Personally, I'm in favor of a big 5 league by league draft where you're one expert of a draft and don't participate but rather judge (judge one, play 4).
We did this one time and it was the best drafts we had. Takes a little longer, but nice to do during the summer.

I'm in favor of after the WC so everyone can draft the new James with a top 4 pick.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I honestly just feel like post WC is going to see a bit of a down period in activity so it'll drag out the draft. I don't really care either way as I'll be around but eh.

Also, I don't mind the idea of the league by league draft either. Could be pretty interesting, but maybe something we could organize outside of our 'normal' draft maybe mid season or something.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@Evilo already giving away the farm.

I'm down for the big 5 league draft, but in addition to the standard draft. Perhaps after the Transfer Window closes so all players are set. So that'd be La Liga, Serie A, L1, Bundesliga and SPL?

Reactions: cgf

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I would like to do a normal draft before world cup and evilo big five after world cup.

I think that more people will be paying attention to the boards before and during WC and it also may help with some of the time zone issues

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I could participate too, depending on what the buffet is.

Personally, I'm in favor of a big 5 league by league draft where you're one expert of a draft and don't participate but rather judge (judge one, play 4).
We did this one time and it was the best drafts we had. Takes a little longer, but nice to do during the summer.

I'm in favor of after the WC so everyone can draft the new James with a top 4 pick.

That sounds cool tbh.

How about trades? I personally am all for it.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Oh, how about size of squads? I'd imagine that things could get rather thin if we have a lot of participants for each league, picking 22 players. Or maybe that's what makes it fun?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Big five after World Cup makes sure the regulars join and not people who will forget. IMO anyway.

Plus I know that I'm not going to care about a mock draft during the WM, so probably won't even bother signing up. Which would open a spot for an irregular in the pre-WM draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad