Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll 2023 #5

Who is the Avs #5 Prospect?

• RW - Oskar Olausson - 2021 #28 - (2)

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • G - Justus Annunen - 2018 #64 - (4)

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • RW - Nikolai Kovalenko - 2018 #171 - (16)

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • D - Jeremy Hanzel - 2023 #187 - (New)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • C - Ondrej Pavel - Undrafted - (New)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • C - Colby Ambrosio - 2020 #118 - (8)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Jean-Luc Foudy rises one spot from last year after making his NHL debut midseason.

Added Colby Ambrosio. Don't forget to vote for who to add in the comments!

1) Calum Ritchie
2) Mikhail Gulyayev
3) Sean Behrens
4) Jean-Luc Foudy

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's Kovalenko's turn. He did have a legitimately good KHL season, league strength aside. And he's probably close to contributing as soon as this year, so there's hope that we can get a useful NHL player out of him yet.

I'd say add Jason Polin I guess. He's probably going to get a callup next year unless he falls completely flat with the Eagles, that's more than can be said of anybody else left.

Reactions: Murzu

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Yeah, Kovalenko.

Add Jedlicka, has played two full seasons agains men at highest level in Slovakia and has had decent numbers. Wasn't bad at the worlds either this year.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Not a big prospect watcher, but for what it's worth I voted Kovalenko. Very good production in a real pro league. Olausson has struggled in general since coming to North America, first in the OHL and then in AHL. The Czech Andrew Paul might play more NHL games than either of them, albeit in a limited role.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I went Olausson, still betting on the potential. He hasn't been super impressive but is still really young and his first season in the AHL. Saw more than a few games in loveland and he never seemed as dangerous on the ice as other guys like Foudy and Meyers, though in the preseason stint last year he didnt seem to look too out of place with the big club at times.

Add Stienburg or Makar

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Kovy as I’ve voted the last couple rounds. He’s the most likely to get NHL games and they all are hoping for third line roles anyway.

After this point I’m pretty concerned for anyone on this list who doesn’t have a contract, it’s gonna be a real uphill battle for anyone to even reach that point. Beaucage and Miner are gonna get voted real low and they probably will be the last lower tier prospects who get NHL deals. So it’s gonna be real though to take the unsigned masses seriously.

All that said, nepotism still pays so Makar might have the best shot of them all so add him.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is where the prospect pool starts to really fall off.

I'd go Olausson here on pure upside. I think he has one more year left where things could click for him to still become a Top 6 forward. The rest are all 3rd or 4th liners and major long shots to reach that level as well.

Add Ishimnikov I guess. He's young, a Right Shot and good size. Maybe they find lightning in a bottle :laugh:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
With Olausson my concern is that he just hasn't progressed at all since his draft year. It's not just that he hasn't made enough progress, he flat out stagnated. His shot is still good but he hasn't shown any refinement or improvement otherwise, not even in the OHL where he should have shined as a D+1 player.

I wouldn't say all hope is gone, but he's really not impressing me at all.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is where the prospect pool starts to really fall off.

I'd go Olausson here on pure upside. I think he has one more year left where things could click for him to still become a Top 6 forward. The rest are all 3rd or 4th liners and major long shots to reach that level as well.

Add Ishimnikov I guess. He's young, a Right Shot and good size. Maybe they find lightning in a bottle :laugh:

My first thought after voting was.. I am not going to have a clue who to vote for from here on out.

Reactions: missionAvs

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think it should be Kovalenko here fairly easily. Yes he’s unproven in NA, but he’s the only one left who has had a good professional season at a relatively high level.

After this I have no clue, Hanzel has the new prospect glow, Pavel (kinda) new FA signing who might have NHL 4C upside, OO is falling faster and faster, Annunen has shown next to nothing at the NHL level and his AHL numbers are lower than the other goalies we would consider third string at best. It’s really unfortunate we went with Miner over Wolf..

Add Beaucage I guess, he has very similar stats to OO any how.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvsMakar08

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I went with Kovy here because I think he has a better chance to stick in the NHL longer than OO.

Next one for me will be Hanzel for the same reason. OO will eventually get a shot at the NHL but I am not very high on him. I think he will be a throw in in a bigger trade sometime in the near future.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Kovalenko- He plays with energy and can score in the KHL. He'd be a fine 3rd line addition late in the season and could add depth and another style of play to the bottom 6.

I don't follow prospects much, but didn't we draft a college D-Man late a couple of years back? is he still in the organization? Add him even though I forgot his name! o_O

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kovalenko- He plays with energy and can score in the KHL. He'd be a fine 3rd line addition late in the season and could add depth and another style of play to the bottom 6.

I don't follow prospects much, but didn't we draft a college D-Man late a couple of years back? is he still in the organization? Add him even though I forgot his name! o_O
Are you thinking of Chris Romaine? He was in the USHL last year, going to Providence College. Didn't do much in juniors last year but he's a long term project.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it should be Kovalenko here fairly easily. Yes he’s unproven in NA, but he’s the only one left who has had a good professional season at a relatively high level.

After this I have no clue, Hanzel has the new prospect glow, Pavel (kinda) new FA signing who might have NHL 3C upside, OO is falling faster and faster, Annunen has shown next to nothing at the NHL level and his AHL numbers are lower than the other goalies we would consider third string at best. It’s really unfortunate we went with Miner over Wolf..

Add Beaucage I guess, he has very similar stats to OO any how.
I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking Hanzel next just because he reportedly showed really well at the development camp. OO and Justus are dropping for me. Olausson is stagnating and Annunen was so mediocre this season they went out and got Keith Kinkaid to be the #3 for the playoffs instead of him. I'm sure they'll both be voted in before Hanzel but I'm not sure either deserves to be this high except on pedigree.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Are you thinking of Chris Romaine? He was in the USHL last year, going to Providence College. Didn't do much in juniors last year but he's a long term project.
We have Romaine and Kale in the same organization?

1689519151676.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad