HF Wrestling Draft - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is why I want to be able to switch cards. I could go deep with storylines and change them up with different matchups.

While I have similar interests (trying to make the best card that appeals to me and creating actual reasons for the matches) there is something off-putting about changing the cards to me. The primary purpose of the draft, if I understand it correctly, is to create the best card possible, not the best promotion in general. I also don't like the idea of people changing their cards after receiving criticism from others. I want to see each person's card, not a card edited by a larger group, which would make each card far less specific and interesting in my eyes. Not to say that you would necessarily edit it in that manner. I will certainly make storylines for my card and put a lot of thought into it, but I'll just stick with those storylines. It's all up to Chris Cutter anyway and I don't care to any significant degree if anyone does make changes but I won't change mine regardless of whether the option exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morozov

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Except nameless got booted pretty quickly mostly because it was just way too deep and complex.

Yeah, but for the most part I don't care if I win or not. I find that I don't agree with "the general consensus" around here on some guys. I remember when the Nexus was the "it" thing here. I thought it was actually pretty lame and the build lacked credibility. Still it was pretty popular if memory serves me correctly. I mean don't get me wrong, we've seen worse and I liked Barrett, but I don't think it was that great. Then again I don't latch on to every heel like a lot of fans seem to.

While I have similar interests (trying to make the best card that appeals to me and creating actual reasons for the matches) there is something off-putting about changing the cards to me. The primary purpose of the draft, if I understand it correctly, is to create the best card possible, not the best promotion in general. I also don't like the idea of people changing their cards after receiving criticism from others. I want to see each person's card, not a card edited by a larger group, which would make each card far less specific and interesting in my eyes. Not to say that you would necessarily edit it in that manner. I will certainly make storylines for my card and put a lot of thought into it, but I'll just stick with those storylines. It's all up to Chris Cutter anyway and I don't care t any significant degree if anyone does make changes but I won't change mine regardless of whether the option exists.

Yeah, I'm just stating my opinion as I found it relevant to the @nameless1 discussion. I'm assuming we won't be allowed card changes. Still I think it'd be far more interesting and perhaps next go round it should be a promotion draft and not a card draft. Actually a promotion draft where you have to come up with a new card each round.

Like I said before, I understand your concerns, but I don't think it would matter. Not everyone feels the same about every card, but more so I don't think it's very plausible when I look at the cards from the past. Some had some room to improve, but some didn't even have a lot of options to change anyway without getting worse. On top of that there were varying opinions on cards anyway. You could also ask that people make their votes and say why they prefer a card to another without actually making recommendations for a card.

The goal is best card. Unless you presented something truly special, I would be inclined to vote for the card that isn’t changing round to round.

I don’t have an issue with a card changing, but I think it is to your detriment to do it.

I have ideas that go 3-4 cards deep. Of course there's having the ideas and then having the roster to do it. That said I'm confident I could get most of the roster to do it. I had an idea last year that involve three guys. Two to the best of my knowledge weren't even drafted while one was. I could have gone at minimum 3 cards deep with them with an evolving storyline that I think would have worked and been hilarious to boot.

Another idea I had was with a guy who I would never say was my favorite wrestler if even one of them. I marked out my share like pretty much everyone else did at his peak. Still over time and the way he's been used has had some great ideas, but it was executed somewhat poorly and he suffered because he wasn't in the right promotion (though one of his gimmicks probably wouldn't have come about otherwise). Now I look at him and he probably is one of my favorites and he could be an even bigger all-time great if the wrestling business had been different.

Another idea I had was with two well known factions but who today aren't considered on the level of others. In fact I doubt that many here watched one of them when they were around. One wouldn't be any different than they were in their day, but they were huge in their territory, and the other I could potentially make more powerful by adding guys who make sense. Anyway, I have feuds for both and they would ultimately meet up and then ultimately team up in a storyline that is very relevant today with swerves and an inner fight along the way. I could have gone at least 3 cards deep with essentially two teams.

I even would be making "untouchable" guys vulnerable to clean losses. One of my annoyances when I used to regularly watch was that a lot of the same guys didn't lose much. Of course on the flip side seeing established guys putting over guys they shouldn't have bothered me too, but overall too many guys were untouchable. With the cards I envisioned you'd see some guys who haven't had/didn't get their due title shots/wins they should have get them. That's easy to say in a draft like this, but it would even be over actual World Title level guys.

Anyway, I digress and I apologize. I just think the creative options of changing cards or having a promotion worth of talent to work with would be far more interesting.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Anyway, I digress and I apologize. I just think the creative options of changing cards or having a promotion worth of talent to work with would be far more interesting.

I agree with a lot of your statements (especially with regard to valuing wrestlers differently than most and wanting to use guys in different ways) and a fantasy promotion would be very interesting. It even suits my plans as I prefer to plan my card as if it was part of a preexisting promotion. No need to apologize or anything for just stating your thoughts. I just view it as something like trying a triathlon while others just do a marathon.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No need to apologize for bringing up new ideas. Last year was my first one, I wished we could do something else in addition with it

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of doing a sort of promotion keeper league with 4 big PPVs a year or something.
But I'd like to leave the PPV draft the way it has been. Plenty of time to explore other fun options for later. Pretty much any wrestling draft competition will have me involved if I can help it.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
If you don't care if you win and don't care about the game then why even bother playing?

If you just want to drag on with pages of your several cards of fantasy booking that you think is amazing just make a thread and do it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If you don't care if you win and don't care about the game then why even bother playing?

If you just want to drag on with pages of your several cards of fantasy booking that you think is amazing just make a thread and do it.

I agree because it's all about the game, but it's also good to set these ground rules because it's also about how you play it.

This is Cutter's draft and he's all about control, and we will see if les habs can take it.

Reactions: Emperoreddy and Cor

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I didn't say I didn't care about the game. I like the competition, but at the end of the day when you've got others judging you can get a bunch of opinions, many of which you may not agree with, then it doesn't bother me if I win. I'm all about what I can put together and if I like it myself. I've done numerous soccer drafts and have had some interesting comments about the final product, yet my teams have generally stood the test of time. Granted there are more specific measures to demonstrate that if you ask me. At the end of the day I like the concept or I wouldn't have asked to participate. I like the idea I proposed more, but that doesn't mean that I don't like this draft. Just throwing out another idea.

Drag on? Several pages?

I agree because it's all about the game, but it's also good to set these ground rules because it's also about how you play it.

This is Cutter's draft and he's all about control, and we will see if les habs can take it.

I'm not trying to take control. I threw out some ideas and that's it. A few points I felt needed clarification. It's like last go round when someone in the free agency rounds basically said something to the extent of "I'll take the NWO". To me that needs some clarification. Now I still would like to know about trades in terms of one for two or more and if that's allowed, but that's it. @Chris Cutter can confirm that I PMed him about a month or so back and asked if he was doing a draft again. Had I wanted to do one of my own I would just posted about it. I also specifically did not PM him my ideas because I thought it would be best to have them public and transparent. Furthermore, I still demand that @Chris Cutter participate in the draft himself! So it has nothing to do with control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->