HF Top 100 on Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I'm surprised by the ranking of some Ducks players (they have 3, #12, #22 and #34)
but surprised in a good way

Also, I was hoping Mark Popovic would get some recognition, he can be compared with Tim Gleason, but with a more complete game

I would like to retract my statement about how stupid the list was. It was a lot more in-depth than something I would have, or even could have done. It's easy for us to sit in our computer chairs, talking about how Patrick O'Sullivan is better than Michael Leighton (as a hypothetical example) but the truth is, most of us probably don't have the expertise nor have most of us seen any of these guys play on a regular basis. There are some that I have seen postings by that do, like Jason MacIsaac and hockeycrazed (a frequent visitor but infrequent poster who should more often grace us with his superior hockey intellect), but most of us are simply arm-chair scouts, relying on others to give us the scouting reports so that we may pass judgement on players we've never seen before (e.g. I love Tuomas Pihlman but have never seen him play before).

I now :handclap: Hockey's Future for their list, to give most of us hockey "enthusiasts" at least an inkling of what's going on with prospects, and a basic understanding of how our teams prospects comapre with another's.

petec1978*

What has Polushin done to warrant being ranked ahead of Exelby?

Oh I'd say back to back WJC gold medals whilst putting up 13 points in 13 games counts for something. Maybe you missed that memo, but that wasn't Garnet Exelby playing with Ovechkin on Russia's number one line in last year's tourney.

He's scored in the WJC's. He's scored in the Upper League (36 points in 41 games in '01-'02). And this year he's put up 5 goals and 7 points in 13 games so guess what? He's starting to prove he can score in the Superleague too.

The comparison to Zainullin and his whopping 1 point in 15 games this year and equally whopping 4 career Superleague points is so completely off base its ridiculous.

Polushin:
18 career Superleague points
13 career U-20 WJC points

Zainullin:
4 career Superleague points
1 career U-20 WJC point

I think the more pertinent question is what has Garnet Exelby done to deserve to be ranked over a bona fide bluechipper like Polushin other than do a lot of very athletically challenging sitting and stretching in the penalty box?

Mmmmmmmore like: for every bakers dozen of Zainullins there's a Frolov.

Give you three guesses who was playing on Frolov's other wing in the WJC's two years ago. And no :shakehead , it wasn't Garnet Exelby. :joker:

-Pete Choquette

laxplayer

Oct 19, 2003
San Diego
Another point to prove how worthless this list is... Maxime Ouellet isn't even on it. One of the top goaltending prospects in the league and he isn't even ranked in the top 100?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
DaleHunter said:
Another point to prove how worthless this list is... Maxime Ouellet isn't even on it. One of the top goaltending prospects in the league and he isn't even ranked in the top 100?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Just checked the HF criteria, seems he still fits them. Quite puzzling then, to put it mildly...

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Mike Komisarek said:
You're just basing your opinion on hype, i bet you haven't even seen Lethonen play.. ;> (which frankly, even if you have doesn't make a difference)

Yeah , i had a better opinion of Miller before i saw him play ...Lethonen hands down .

William Shakespeare

First they stole many individuals money in regards to the HF Magazine and now they put together this unresearched list, simply pathetic. It's unfortunate, but since that Shane character took over, this site has dropped dramatically. If not for the work of the contributing writers who work for free, this site would simply fall off the map.

Thank god for these boards, I can actually gather some decent prospect information. Now I will have to refer to McKeens for professional scouting opinions. It's too bad as this site had excellent potential.

William

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
Evilo said:
IMO the list is awful.
If I didn't miss it, Konstantin Koltsov for instance is not in the top 100 ? Nor Brroks Orpik ?
Now would Burke refuse a Fedor Fedorov for Konstantin Koltsov deal ?
Yeah right...

I didn't notice Whitney in the entire list.....maybe I missed him....IMO he deserves to be there as does Orpik and Koltsov....

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
Rowsdower 3:16 said:
I didn't notice Whitney in the entire list.....maybe I missed him....IMO he deserves to be there as does Orpik and Koltsov....
Whitney is #21, actually.

DR. Holiday

William Shakespeare said:
First they stole many individuals money in regards to the HF Magazine and now they put together this unresearched list, simply pathetic. It's unfortunate, but since that Shane character took over, this site has dropped dramatically. If not for the work of the contributing writers who work for free, this site would simply fall off the map.

Thank god for these boards, I can actually gather some decent prospect information. Now I will have to refer to McKeens for professional scouting opinions. It's too bad as this site had excellent potential.

William

Are you sure about the money?? I hope not.
Also I hope you were joking about going to McKeens for professional scoouting opinions as they are nothing more than fans like here but with better graphics on the web page.

William Shakespeare

DR. Holiday said:
Are you sure about the money?? I hope not.
Also I hope you were joking about going to McKeens for professional scoouting opinions as they are nothing more than fans like here but with better graphics on the web page.

Actually, many of the writers on the web site and in the magazine are crossover writers... They work for both ends of the media. The McKeen's annual magazine was excellent, and has oodles of information. HF is run by two people and the majority of the information is provided by these two individuals, this is why you see a western tone to most of their work. Laurence is a BC boy and it shows in most of his work, very rarely will you see him promote a Quebec or OHL prospect. Just look at his avitar, two young BC juniors playing against each other.

I'm very cynical as I am sure they have no dollars, they do not own this web site... another group does, all they own is a magazine that must be deeply in debt. They can't produce as promised and they can't get the pub in any major markets. As far as I am concerned it is dead and I have lost money. Do you research DR, you will see that all these statement are extremely correct. Notice that they are even dismantling the Mag Q&A board... Why do you think this is happening? Coincidence... I think not...

By the way, I must let you know that I value many of your posts...

William

DR. Holiday

William Shakespeare said:
Actually, many of the writers on the web site and in the magazine are crossover writers... They work for both ends of the media. The McKeen's annual magazine was excellent, and has oodles of information. HF is run by two people and the majority of the information is provided by these two individuals, this is why you see a western tone to most of their work. Laurence is a BC boy and it shows in most of his work, very rarely will you see him promote a Quebec or OHL prospect. Just look at his avitar, two young BC juniors playing against each other.

I'm very cynical as I am sure they have no dollars, they do not own this web site... another group does, all they own is a magazine that must be deeply in debt. They can't produce as promised and they can't get the pub in any major markets. As far as I am concerned it is dead and I have lost money. Do you research DR, you will see that all these statement are extremely correct. Notice that they are even dismantling the Mag Q&A board... Why do you think this is happening? Coincidence... I think not...

By the way, I must let you know that I value many of your posts...

William

Never looked at HF mag that way. Interesting although sure to be erased.

As for McKeens I just look at the writers most of which came from here and look at some of the stuff they write and it is weak.
I hope the magizine is still going and am looking forward to seeing it again although I am losing hope.

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
petec1978 said:
The comparison to Zainullin and his whopping 1 point in 15 games this year and equally whopping 4 career Superleague points is so completely off base its ridiculous.
I never compared him to Zainullin, did I? I said if Tampa was lucky, they'll be able to trade Polushin for someone decent like we did with Zainullin. I do stand by my Tampa Russian stiff comment, though: Alexeev, Afanasenkov, Artyukhin, Zainullin ... even Svitov - we hear lots of hype, but see little production. This is the organization that drafted Andrei Skopintsev for Christ's sake!

Stats, shmats (in the WJCs no less!) - I wouldn't trade Exelby for Polushin. Enough said.

petec1978*

I never compared him to Zainullin, did I?

Yes, you did. You used Zainullin as the leaguewide exemplar of a big Russian wing prospect. You then put Polushin in that group. Hence you said Zainullin=Polushin. See how that works? Don't backtrack off it now.

I do stand by my Tampa Russian stiff comment, though: Alexeev, Afanasenkov, Artyukhin, Zainullin ... even Svitov

And all of those guys except Afanasenkov, who made the Lightning out of camp, are 22 or under. Don't be upset just because the Lightning have enough depth that they don't have to rush their prospects into scoring line roles at 18-19 like the Thrashers have had to.

This is the organization that drafted Andrei Skopintsev for Christ's sake!

Yes, they drafted an overage Russian defenseman in the late rounds once a half decade ago. And this has exactly how much relevance to Alex Polushin? ZERO?

Stats, shmats

What other objective measure of success would you have us use? Voodoo dolls or ouija board?

I wouldn't trade Exelby for Polushin. Enough said.

Not now that Polushin is on the shelf for four months with a knee injury you might not... but in general, that's why you're not an NHL GM.

-Pete Choquette

Shockey19

Ouch

No offense to whoever took the 1.75 seconds required to put that list together, but OUCH! That is a major black eye on what was once a quality site in Hockey's Future. I've never been more embarrassed in my life than I was to be a semi-regular reader of HF after reading that. Wow, that's just ugly. Honestly, I felt violated after I read it. I need to take a shower.

I was reading through this thread, and it looks like everybody covered some of the glaring errors.. but there's one thing that went unmentioned, that is so ridiculous the person that made this decision should probably be banned from ever discussing hockey with anybody ever again.

BRENT FREAKIN' KRAHN was ranked 46!! Yes, that's right.. Brent Krahn. Ranked 46. As in, the 46th best prospect in the NHL. :shakehead :confused:

My god, not even Brent Krahn's mother would rank him 46th!!! Literally.. he's not even close to the 46th best prospect in the Northwest Division. Heck, the more I think about it, he might not be the 46th best prospects in Alberta.. just between Calgary and Edmonton.

Seriously, somebody should take that list down before somebody reads it and closes down HF. That's how bad that list is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->