HF Retro Game of the Year - 2010 - Red Dead Redemption Wins!

Game of the year back in 2010?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Mass Effect 2. Amazing year for games.. but there's no question here, ME2 blew me away.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Went with Red Dead. It's an all time top 3 favourite of mine. I wish there were more western themed games.

RDR and ME2 were my 1 and 2.

The fact that we so rarely get western games, nevermind good ones, is definitely what tipped the scale for me.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I still don't understand the appeal to RDR after all these years. I muscled my way all the way to Mexico after constantly hearing how great the game was but it was all so boring. I thought there was so little to do in a desert I wondered why they bothered making it open world. I probably would have enjoyed it more if it was a linear story instead of open world.

As for my game of the year that year, it was either Bad Company 2 or Mass Effect 2. I definitely got more time in Bad Company 2 and I feel like it was the last great Battlefield game. But Mass Effect 2 was just such a damn good game that felt like it made such huge improvements over an already very good Mass Effect 1. I think I'll have to go Mass Effect 2 on this one.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
1. RDR
2. ME2
3. SMG2

Damn, 2010 was a pretty great year.

Mass Effect 2 I believe is the first, and still only game I ever 100% completed (minus any DLC, was there DLC?)
Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, and Overlord were the major ones, with the first two being pretty crucial to the story.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I saw BC2 and got excited and voted for it before I even saw RDR on the list, but that's okay. It was the last FPS game I enjoyed completely with no caveats.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well if we have a tie-breaker vote I will be someone who didn't pick either this go and would easily pick ME2 over RDR.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, and Overlord were the major ones, with the first two being pretty crucial to the story.

As someone who played it late, Arrival is a complete change of tone going into the third game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It's kind of annoying how much story is gated behind DLCs. Arrival, LotSB, From Ashes, Leviathan, Citadel are all extremely important to the story imo.

Agreed.

Citadel was more of a guilty pleasure I think, but it was so good it should have been part of the main game.

Bioware (of old, anyway) made some of the best DLC, but part of the reason it was so good was also why it was bad - they tied it very closely to the main story. I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con for this poll. :laugh:

They do the same thing with the Dragon Age series. Inquisition was based off of a DA2 DLC that I'm sure few people played, but without it you had no context for the main villain.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Can we call this a tie and move on? I'm pretty excited to go back in time and go backwards for the top games! Awesome idea @SniperHF I hope we go wayy back into the 90's :D

All in due time. I dunno how far back we'll go but I definitely want to space out the votes.

I hate ties though so we'll see what to do about that first :laugh:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
All in due time. I dunno how far back we'll go but I definitely want to space out the votes.

I hate ties though so we'll see what to do about that first :laugh:

Well it’s winning right now. If no more votes happen in a day or so you could end it (or now up to you) but if a tie happens (or me pulls ahead by only 1 it’s probably gonna keep switching). I say do another poll with those two being the only options

Reactions: tacogeoff

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Last day, poll closes tomorrow.

Here's preliminary 2009 list, any thing missing or on the list that doesn't make sense? Wrong year somewhere? Mobile stuff that should be included, I'm not a big mobile guy so I've got no idea.

Assassin's Creed II
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Borderlands
Braid
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Demon's Souls
Dragon Age: Origins
inFamous
Killzone 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Minecraft
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Street Fighter IV
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Any chance we could get a tie-breaker if its RDR and ME2? I cant help but think the 30 votes for other titles would influence the close margin of those two games.

A couple games I think you could add to 2009 would be:
League of Legends
Plants vs. Zombies
Bayonetta
Final Fantasy XIII
Halo 3: ODST
Resident Evil V
Brutal Legend

I don't know if that would be too many on the list but those games were very popular as well. 2009 would be a tough choice for me.

Also, thanks for doing all this Sniper! I enjoy these retro polls.

Reactions: SniperHF

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That 2009 list barely interests me at all.

My vote would go to something like Left 4 Dead 2 or Plants vs. Zombies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad