HF Retro Game of the Year - 2001 - GTA III Wins!

Game of the year back in 2001?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's why I liked it too, but have to say that I also played a lot of Unreal Tournament around this time, which came out two years earlier than RtCW and also featured a variety of different multiplayer game modes (Capture the Flag, Assault, Domination) that featured different team-based objectives.

That's true - Assault had the Overlord map.

I found that fewer people played them and it didn't have the class structure.

Morpheus is still one of my favourite all-time maps.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Halo: CE dominated my playing time during that year. Easily my vote.

Funny story. I had recently started dating a girl and had her over at my place one night. She was doing homework for college and was annoyed at me playing Halo in the background and asked me to turn it down. I did but then she said the controller sounds were making it hard for her to concentrate. I knew at that moment that the relationship wasn't going to work lol.

Reactions: tacogeoff

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That's true - Assault had the Overlord map.

Assault was definitely not heavily played back in the day and more fondly remembered than it was played. But it was a cool game mode anyway and I think the main reason its so fondly remembered is people wanted to see it developed further. But it got the short shift in 2k3 and UT3.

Another one I forgot to bring up during the last evolution of shooters discussion: Tribes 1 and 2.
Both were insanely far ahead of their times.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Assault was definitely not heavily played back in the day and more fondly remembered than it was played. But it was a cool game mode anyway and I think the main reason its so fondly remembered is people wanted to see it developed further. But it got the short shift in 2k3 and UT3.

Another one I forgot to bring up during the last evolution of shooters discussion: Tribes 1 and 2.
Both were insanely far ahead of their times.

Tribes was very much ahead of its time.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Silent Hill 2. Those PS1 and early PS2 survival horror games defined my childhood and Silent Hill 2 was pretty much beyond reproach.

Honorable mention for Max Payne. They don't make games with writing and atmosphere like that anymore.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Eh, DMC or Silent Hill 2.

Devil May Cry is like the inverse of Halo; it took a genre and made it fast and twitch-based while Halo took a genre and made it slow and boring.

Silent Hill 2 might still be up there in terms of video game story telling--though I haven't played it in a long time and I wonder if it might be like FFX, where the performance element makes it impossible to go back to.

Tangentially my only lasting memory of Max Payne was some lunatic banging on my window while I was playing at 1am just as I was at the part where you go home and discover your murdered family.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Halo is still one of the best multiplayer modes of all time. Was very balanced (pistol sniping aside). Still remember all of the times having 4 linked consoles and 4 per screen.

Plus the campaign was great, the mechanics fundamentally revolutionized the FPS genre

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Everytime I check back here they're tied again. :laugh:

I voted GTA but Halo would be a deserving winner as well.....even if I never actually played it much.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I decided to wait a few days to see which of Civilization III and Return to Castle Wolfenstein got more votes so that I could throw my vote behind it and give GTA III the best run for the money. I'm dismayed to see just now that Civ III has only 1 vote (that really surprises me, since IV easily won its poll), RoCW has only 3 and GTA III and Halo are tied for the lead with 15. Where are all of the PC voters? I guess that they went to GTA III. Hmm. Do I vote for one of the two that I was originally going to vote for or do I consider it the 2-game race that it is and join my fellow PC gamers in endorsing GTA III so that Halo doesn't win? This feels like being forced to choose between throwing my vote away on a 3rd-party candidate or making it count by giving it to the lesser of two evils (though GTA III is hardly evil and I did enjoy it).

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Changed my vote to Halo even though I never played it. Getting pretty silly to see the GTA fan boys continually voting for GTA. Yawn.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I've been playing the Master Chief Collection a lot lately and Halo: CE is still really fun an enjoyable. I realize they upscaled the HD to 1080p and increased it to 60 FPS so it is smoother, but the game otherwise is essentially the same. Had a blast playing CTF on Blood Gulch the other day.

Halo is still one of the best multiplayer modes of all time. Was very balanced (pistol sniping aside). Still remember all of the times having 4 linked consoles and 4 per screen.

Plus the campaign was great, the mechanics fundamentally revolutionized the FPS genre

I actually don't mind the OP pistol since everyone starts with it, it's a level playing field. The battle rifle and more specifically the DMR/Carbine essentially replaced the pistol in future iterations of the game.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I've been playing the Master Chief Collection a lot lately and Halo: CE is still really fun an enjoyable. I realize they upscaled the HD to 1080p and increased it to 60 FPS so it is smoother, but the game otherwise is essentially the same. Had a blast playing CTF on Blood Gulch the other day.

I actually don't mind the OP pistol since everyone starts with it, it's a level playing field. The battle rifle and more specifically the DMR/Carbine essentially replaced the pistol in future iterations of the game.

true.

they arent nearly as OP as say the 1887 in MW2 was

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Changing my vote to GTA3 because it's actually p good, whereas Halo sucks.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I decided to wait a few days to see which of Civilization III and Return to Castle Wolfenstein got more votes so that I could throw my vote behind it and give GTA III the best run for the money. I'm dismayed to see just now that Civ III has only 1 vote (that really surprises me, since IV easily won its poll), RoCW has only 3 and GTA III and Halo are tied for the lead with 15. Where are all of the PC voters? I guess that they went to GTA III. Hmm. Do I vote for one of the two that I was originally going to vote for or do I consider it the 2-game race that it is and join my fellow PC gamers in endorsing GTA III so that Halo doesn't win? This feels like being forced to choose between throwing my vote away on a 3rd-party candidate or making it count by giving it to the lesser of two evils (though GTA III is hardly evil and I did enjoy it).
I'm a PC voter and Halo gets my vote. The multiplayer was great on PC.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Man.... I really cannot pick a game here.

I've been a hardcore Runescaper since early 2002 and have played off and on since then. It's undoubtedly the game I've spent more time on than any other game, AINEC (honestly, you could probably combine #2, 3, and 4 and still fall short of the time I've spent on RS. Final Fantasy X is in my top 5 favorite games as well, and GTA3 was just such a ground-breaking title in its time as well. This is probably the hardest choice for me out of any of these polls.

It's a tad unfair to compare longevity of an MMO to single player games, but Runescape has certainly stood the test of time. They're now operating two (relatively) equally popular versions of their game, of which the core code was started in 2001 and continue to update each game regularly (usually once a week) . It's simply amazing that the game still exists today. The Old School re-birth is one of the coolest things I've heard about in gaming. I've never heard of another company re-starting a game with old code and then updating it consistently.

Reactions: The Nuge

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Changed my vote to Halo even though I never played it. Getting pretty silly to see the GTA fan boys continually voting for GTA. Yawn.

It’s interesting that the old GTA games have won their polls, but 4 and 5 did not win their respective GOTY polls.

Personally I think they’re all deserved results. The newer games don’t really stand out anymore but at the time of the older GTAs, and especially GTA 3, they were groundbreaking.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It’s interesting that the old GTA games have won their polls, but 4 and 5 did not win their respective GOTY polls.

Personally I think they’re all deserved results. The newer games don’t really stand out anymore but at the time of the older GTAs, and especially GTA 3, they were groundbreaking.

This.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->