3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Nikita Scherbak
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Josh Brook
8. Michael McNiven
9. Michael McCarron
10. Will Bitten

Though if Brook wasn't injured I think he would be a top 3 prospect with Scherbak, one or the other along with Evans. Poehling, Brook, Evans, Scherbak, Lindgren, Juulsen are their top prospects. Primeau is moving up for sure though, could be a top 10 by the end of the year.

Thats a pretty accurate top 10, very disappointing though. Personally, my favorite is Josh Brook.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Middle of the pack list. Bargain bin and Timmins have an important draft ahead of them. We have 4 picks in first two rounds and maybe more if we start to deal guys. Can turn this story around very quickly with another solid draft

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Middle of the pack list. Bargain bin and Timmins have an important draft ahead of them. We have 4 picks in first two rounds and maybe more if we start to deal guys. Can turn this story around very quickly with another solid draft

A very solid draft could go a long ways to help turn this around but it will likely take a good bit more then that depending on what other moves are made as I just don't see us getting much help from the farm next year. Scherbak, Mete, Evans, Lindgren, Juuslen, could all be there that could perhaps have a decent or better impact on the team. But would still need to fill several holes and hope guys like Drouin, Galchenyuk, Jerabek, Hudon, Lehkonen can continue to get better but still missing top line talent unless Pacioretty is back to his old self or traded for something really good in a package type deal. Going to be interesting for sure.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A very solid draft could go a long ways to help turn this around but it will likely take a good bit more then that depending on what other moves are made as I just don't see us getting much help from the farm next year. Scherbak, Mete, Evans, Lindgren, Juuslen, could all be there that could perhaps have a decent or better impact on the team. But would still need to fill several holes and hope guys like Drouin, Galchenyuk, Jerabek, Hudon, Lehkonen can continue to get better but still missing top line talent unless Pacioretty is back to his old self or traded for something really good in a package type deal. Going to be interesting for sure.

To be honest just adding a top 10 pick and another 2nd rounder and this pool looks really, really good. If Lindgren, Mete, Juulsen and Poehling dont graduate all at the same time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be honest just adding a top 10 pick and another 2nd rounder and this pool looks really, really good. If Lindgren, Mete, Juulsen and Poehling dont graduate all at the same time.

It should help for sure, depending on who they get and don't end up trading picks for help.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Our prospect pool is very...not bad. None of these names are really exciting but there's depth. I think Poehling and Juulsen are NHLers but depth ones, Lindgren probably. Evans is promising. McCarron, Ikonen, and Scherbak are trending toward busts although Scherbak is starting to turn the corner.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Our prospect pool is very...not bad. None of these names are really exciting but there's depth. I think Poehling and Juulsen are NHLers but depth ones, Lindgren probably. Evans is promising. McCarron, Ikonen, and Scherbak are trending toward busts although Scherbak is starting to turn the corner.

Can't agree. The only reason why you might see it this way is because of the unknown factor that 2016 is all about. It looks really sexy. Just that not that long ago, 2012 looked awfully sexy too. So you can't count on that to upgrade the list. Yes, I do think that Brook and Fleury look really good. Like I said on another tweet, Lernout and McCarron and Sherbak are waivers material next year. And that's before we have any idea of how good they really are. Though some will say they know about Mac...I still think he could be a 4th liner somewhere. But in reality, this pool is bad. No top end talent. The forward category just proove how Timmins and Co are bad in this category of players. Since 2003....only 3 game changing players drafted. 1 of which we don't knoe what position he is, another who is a phantom in the playoffs.....

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's a bottom 10 prospect pool IMO. It looks better to some because we're fans and follow these guys and naively hope for the best until most of them bust. When you have no one who projects as a top liner or top pairing D it can't be very good.

It will look much better in 6 months after the 2018 draft with a top 10 pick and three 2nds... and potentially more if we make deals.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Ikonen is busting already ? Thats silly.

It should help for sure, depending on who they get and don't end up trading picks for help.

There's no way they trade for help at this point. I hope so at least.

Pls marc.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Personally I think many have been very wrong about Scherbak if you take into consideration how poorly he's been handled since turning pro. That said last year they finally left him at RW and once they removed him from Audette's side, and put their best playmaker with their best snipers, he looked much better. The skill has always been there, the effort, lack of strength, defensive game, lack of mass have been very legit concerns. He really seemed to have turned a corner in the playoffs as he was easily playing the most engaged hockey I've ever seen from him. Time will tell what he can do for us this year or next. Put him with guys that can score and he will stand out, the problem is his defensive game is so weak, he's pushed off pucks too easily and he will do some dumb shit every now and then with the puck.

Ikonen it's just way, way too early to say one way or the other.

It's a bottom 10 prospect pool IMO. It looks better to some because we're fans and follow these guys and naively hope for the best until most of them bust. When you have no one who projects as a top liner or top pairing D it can't be very good.

It will look much better in 6 months after the 2018 draft with a top 10 pick and three 2nds... and potentially more if we make deals.

For me it's always tough to say where they rank vs the rest of the NHL since I don't follow other teams prospects. The lack of high end talent likely puts them at least middle of the pack or worse. But they have several safer bets like Mete, Poehling, Juulsen, Lindgren, Evans, Brook that should be in the NHL and not that long out.

I do think Brook could have to pairing upside, I'm kind of shocked he wasn't a 1st round pick. That said we all know the stats on picks and their success level in the NHL outside the top 10, 20, 50 etc...

What Primeau is doing right now is also very impressive, just sucks that we are loaded with goalie prospects, we have Price locked up long term and goalies don't tend to have a lot of value.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There's no way they trade for help at this point. I hope so at least

MB has to be licking his chops at those 3 2nd round picks. I could easily see him trying to save face and his job by gambling more of the future to win now. I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. The good news is he's always stayed away from trading our 1st and top prospects at least.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Tampa keep producing prospects after prospects. These guys weren’t picked in the first round.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Tampa keep producing prospects after prospects. These guys weren’t picked in the first round.

It's because they choose talent almost every single time. They do fall victim to the same trap that every NHL team does picking guys like Foote in the first round, but, for the most part, they identify skill and draft it.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It's because they choose talent almost every single time. They do fall victim to the same trap that every NHL team does picking guys like Foote in the first round, but, for the most part, they identify skill and draft it.

Which is exactly why you pick talent every time.

The Habs of late are showing a trend of drafting guys who fall in the draft, it’s almost like Bergevin is drafting off the TSN draft rankings and thinks he’s getting a bargain every time someone falls.

In a lot of cases their falling for a reason, there’s a few noted exceptions (F. Forsberg, C.Fowler)

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Which is exactly why you pick talent every time.

The Habs of late are showing a trend of drafting guys who fall in the draft, it’s almost like Bergevin is drafting off the TSN draft rankings and thinks he’s getting a bargain every time someone falls.

In a lot of cases their falling for a reason, there’s a few noted exceptions (F. Forsberg, C.Fowler)

They make some good decisions but then they make some baffling decisions.

I find that they err on the side of caution too often and pick guys who play a pro game but who's upside is limited.

I don't care if Ikonen or Scherbak bust, they were gambles on talent. But I do care if Crisp and Pezzetta bust because if they make it, I could've signed them off free agency for 1 million a year. Wow.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Our prospect pool isn't amazing, but a lot of these guys are having a solid season and seem to produce well.

I think this is by far the most important thing, the name and the draft rank is cool, but whether your prospects develop and play well is way more. Almost all our 2017 draftees are performing well and a the 2016 draft already has Sergachev and Mete in the NHL.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Our prospect pool isn't amazing, but a lot of these guys are having a solid season and seem to produce well.

I think this is by far the most important thing, the name and the draft rank is cool, but whether your prospects develop and play well is way more. Almost all our 2017 draftees are performing well and a the 2016 draft already has Sergachev and Mete in the NHL.

It's when those picks get in the hands of Lefebvre that things generally go wrong.

Reactions: ginomini

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
They make some good decisions but then they make some baffling decisions.

I find that they err on the side of caution too often and pick guys who play a pro game but who's upside is limited.

I don't care if Ikonen or Scherbak bust, they were gambles on talent. But I do care if Crisp and Pezzetta bust because if they make it, I could've signed them off free agency for 1 million a year. Wow.

Couldn’t agree more. I remember the WTF moment when we drafted Crisp, just about everyone knew it was a wasted pick. Why waste a pick on a player who MIGHT be a 3rd liner at best? These are the easiest players to acquire in hockey!

Notable players that went right after Crisp: Jake Guentzel, Anthony Duclair, Oliver Bjorkstrand

Wow.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
As 2017 draws to a close and we're nearing the midpoint, were beginning to see how progress is going. how would you guys rank our prospects? For me it probably goes:

1. Poehling
2. Mete

3. Brook
4. Scherbak
5. Evans
6. Juulsen

7. Fleury
8. Ikonen
9. Tyszka
10. Walford
HM Vejdemo

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
As 2017 draws to a close and we're nearing the midpoint, were beginning to see how progress is going. how would you guys rank our prospects? For me it probably goes:

1. Poehling
2. Mete

3. Brook
4. Scherbak
5. Evans
6. Juulsen

7. Fleury
8. Ikonen
9. Tyszka
10. Walford
HM Vejdemo

Not bad but Walford ahead of Bitten and Vejdemo? I haven't seen Walford so I can't say either way.

I think Juulsen should be a bit higher. I'm kind of surprised people keep having Evans higher than him. Juulsen to me is a sure fire NHLer. I don't think I can say the same for Evans. Otherwise I pretty much agree. I really like what I'm hearing about Brook and his production has been great so far. Scherbak's really turned it around. You could actually make the case for having him as #3 and in the same tier as the top 2. 17 its in 13 games and not even quite 22 yet is pretty promising. Let's hope he can keep it up.

I'm still holding on to hope with Bitten being maybe a middle 6? Same with Vejdemo. That's probably asking for too much but I still think Vejdemo can improve and that Bitten finally has proper line mates and he's actually putting up the points to accompany his good play that just didn't seem to get rewarded.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

1. Poehling
2. Mete

3. Brook
4. Scherbak
5. Evans
6. Juulsen

7. Fleury
8. Ikonen
9. Tyszka
10. Walford
HM Vejdemo

Lindgren, Primeau, McNiven are among our top prospects imo. I could see Brook being our top prospect by the end of the year. McCarron I would easily have over Vejdemo, Walford. I like Tyszka but not sure he's a top 10 prospect until he improves more in his own end.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The way Scherbak has played this season, he could be our best prospect.
I'm definitely excited for him, but great wingers are quite common. Look at our pro roster:

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Drouin
Lehkonen
Hudon
Byron
Carr

We're loaded at wing, and it's not helping us much.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm definitely excited for him, but great wingers are quite common. Look at our pro roster:

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Drouin
Lehkonen
Hudon
Byron
Carr

We're loaded at wing, and it's not helping us much.

I’m excited at the prospect of him on our roster because he’s another guy with a bit of flash to his game, the potential to give me some excitement.

Guys like Gallagher are nice, but they don’t wow you on any type of regular basis. Plus the idea of having a skilled winger like Scherbak on say Danault’s right side would provide a good balance of skill & creativity to an otherwise relatively safe north-south type of Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad