HF Game of the Year 2017 - Breath of the Wild wins!

2017 Game of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Don't forget to renominate games even if someone already has.

NOMINATION UPDATE:

Breath of the Wild10
Horizon Zero Dawn5
Nier: Automata3
Fortnite2
Mario Odyssey2
Persona 52
PUBG2
Assassins Creed: Origins1
Cuphead1
Divinity: Original Sin II1
Halo Wars 21
Injustice 21
Middle Earth: Shadow of war1
Nioh1
Pyre1
Skyrim VR1
Uncharted: Lost Legacy1
Wolfenstein 21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I figured Zelda and Mario would be front runners at this point considering how popular they seem to be

Are these nominations :P ?

@SniperHF that link to the list of releases goes to 2016.

Fixed

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'm playing Horizon right now and while I'm enjoying the game, it doesn't compare to Zelda. The combat is fun and varied at the start of the game, but after a certain point (maybe 10 hours in) you have already defeated most of the different robot animals and you are just looking to avoid these packs to get to the next mission. And when you are only motivated to get to the next part of the story, that is a huge flaw in the game's structure, imo.

Also, the game is the perfect example of why art direction is so much more vital than raw graphical quality. Horizon has maybe the best graphics I've ever seen on a console- those advantages just add very little to the overall experience.

Reactions: SniperHF

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Not that it will win or anything, but I think Pyre actually has two nominations.

Unless mine didn't count, in which case:

Pyre

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
but that's not Zelda, Breath of the Wild :laugh:

that's my vote, btw. Breath of the Wild. hands down.
Really having a tough time myself deciding between Zelda and Assassins Creed... Zelda most likely will win but... I actually think I may have put more hours into Assassins Creed by now.

That being said, I'm gonna go play some Zelda. Goodnight everybody!

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I'm playing Horizon right now and while I'm enjoying the game, it doesn't compare to Zelda. The combat is fun and varied at the start of the game, but after a certain point (maybe 10 hours in) you have already defeated most of the different robot animals and you are just looking to avoid these packs to get to the next mission. And when you are only motivated to get to the next part of the story, that is a huge flaw in the game's structure, imo.

Also, the game is the perfect example of why art direction is so much more vital than raw graphical quality. Horizon has maybe the best graphics I've ever seen on a console- those advantages just add very little to the overall experience.

What was wrong with Horizon's art direction?

FWIW I can definitely see myself replaying just to fight machines. Combat was fun throughout and I was regularly sidetracked fighting machines to try new strategies and collect crafting material. Bypassing fights to move the story forward was indicative to me of a compelling storyline, not flawed game structure.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
What was wrong with Horizon's art direction?

FWIW I can definitely see myself replaying just to fight machines. Combat was fun throughout and I was regularly sidetracked fighting machines to try new strategies and collect crafting material. Bypassing fights to move the story forward was indicative to me of a compelling storyline, not flawed game structure.
Nothing wrong with it at all, just that most of it isn't that noteworthy or unique.

Your last sentence reminds me of "it's not a bug, it's a feature." Stories are a bonus in a game, if they are compensating for poor gameplay it's an issue. Thankfully Horizon does have good gameplay, it just fails to consistently present varied enough situations to take advantage of those positives.

Exploring is also minimally rewarding as the map populates itself with icons as you go, which is a shame considering the size of the world. I think I would have liked Horizon more if I had played it before BOTW, but it's hard to do so afterwards and not notice it's flaws.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The BotW/Horizon dichotomy is gonna come down to what people value in an open world game: the open world or the game. Horizon's the better game, Zelda's the better world.

I'd rather play Nier than either of them, but c'est la vie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad