HF Game of the Year 2017 - Breath of the Wild wins!

2017 Game of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That was true for me as well.

I didn't have a ton of spare money, and my game time was often eaten up by Command & Conquer or Warcraft, with a bit of NHL thrown in there as well. The N64 served mostly as a party game machine, and boy did it excel at that.

I tried to reproduce that feeling with the Wii U a couple years back, but it just wasn't the same. Also, it imploded.

Aw shit. I knew I was supposed to put Mario Party somewhere in my ranking.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nostalgia affects game the least out of like anything though. The memories might affect it but I mean. You can still play it and see how it is. Super mario bros 3? Still holds up. Goldeneye? Many people love it but if people played it now I doubt that many people enjoy it (unless they play with friends). Controls are wonky
Yeah. What I mean is, as someone who is probably most inspired/interested by the fact that something that was created so long ago with such technical limitations can hold up so well and transcend time, and that great art is great art no matter what, I find that the idea that nostalgia is even a thing for some people really gets in the way of communicating that (in any medium, not just videogames).

It causes people to elevate things that are actually **** out of sentimentality, and all that does is cause people who did not grow up with something or have initial doubts (or would struggle with it because they're conditioned by the standards of what's current that don't actually matter that much) to automatically jump to the conclusion that things that are old can't possibly hold up and that they're only held up on a pedestal due to bias, appreciation of their influence, being the first to do something, and how good they were "for their time". I absolutely DESPISE all of those sentiments because they're not true of anything that's actually worth a damn.

The existence of nostalgia and the fact that some people let their opinions be influenced by it stinks and I think should be actively resisted and frowned upon, personally.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad