HF Boards has gotten soft

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Who is remaining ignorant, again, fights are down, and bad hits that cause injuries, especially head injuries, seem to be down as well.

Seems to be? Well that's definitely some factual based evidence there. You've definitely convinced me with your figures and I totally change my stance on the matter at hand.
Either way, "well we've done enough for now and we've made strides so we can go back to elbowing people in the head" doesn't seem like a good approach.

So you're just going to throw out insulting names and not provide a real argument. Okay.

Did Shanny's suspensions work for a short period of time before the owners began their grumblings or no?

Again with the weird and inapt comparisons. And it is counterproductive to dictate rather than discuss, which is precisely what you are doing. 'This is the way it is, it's progress, just get used to it you neanderthals.' Yeah that rarely works.

Ahh yes, because "dats just playoff hockey" isn't a dictation itself? Hypocritical assumption.
But the comparison I've made are valid. It's a cultural and mores shift. Remember when players used to not wear helmets? That seems pretty dumb now. Remember when they had the option to not wear visors? Yeah Bryan Berard would probably call that idiotic

Have you seen the responses in this thread? People are just a-ok with the nonsense that goes on with the trope "Hurr durr- gotta be tuff to play diss game!". But again self reflection is difficult for many people

Your approach is lazy. Thinking that people are setting the standard for questionable play too low is not the same thing as wanting to go back to Tie Domi/Matt Cooke/whoever days. Dictating like there is no reasonable position on the issue save yours. That is lazy.

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
So Cooke hits Savard (with a legal hit at the time) and Bruins fans go on an absolute crusade.

But now since Boston employs one of (if not THE) dirtiest player currently in the game as a main part of their roster.... the fans are suddenly saying "everyone's gone soft" and stop all the posts.

Simply priceless.

:laugh:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't miss the life/career threatening elbows/blindsides/headshots but i do miss the playoffs attitude. There is a thread right now with math that if you add up missed minor penalties against Marchand he should sit for a few games. The fans have gone soft.

What does "It's the playoffs" attitude matter if you break a dude's hand? I broke my ankle playing basketball competitively when I was younger and it's sore everyday. An injury is an injury, and someone two handling another players hands like a lumberjack is a dangerous play. Rielly isn't clean and clear as we swung back, but it was more of a jab, while Marchand had serious backswing.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So Cooke hits Savard (with a legal hit at the time) and Bruins fans go on an absolute crusade.

But now since Boston employs one of (if not THE) dirtiest player currently in the game as a main part of their roster.... the fans are suddenly saying "everyone's gone soft" and stop all the posts.

Simply priceless.

I am finding that a bit silly too. Violence is bad when it hurts then, but fun when it hurts others.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I have nothing against the intensity of playoff hockey. Big, clean hits are exciting and can play significant roles in games and series.

Having said that, what bothers me is the stuff that I don’t consider “hockey plays”. Now the “old time hockey” fans will vehemently disagree with me but all the after the whistle garbage, the fore arm shivers to the back of players’ heads, vicious slashes and cross checks, etc has no place in pro hockey anymore.

I want to see speed, skill, grit and grinding forecheck, pretty passing plays and sniper shots, and big, CLEAN hits. I’m tired of seeing guys get crosschecked in the back or back of the head near the crease, guys put in headlocks and dragged to the ice, rabbit punches, endless face washes, guys getting tackled and piled on top of, sucker punches being thrown, spears, butt ends, etc. Those aren’t hockey plays even no the ole time hockey guys think so.

This kind of garbage needs to stop. I’m tired of “message sending” at the end of games. When this kind of garbage is allowed to go on, it leads to the dirty runs and hits because guys get fed up. Not using it as an excuse for someone to try to injure someone but if the officials nix this crap before it boils over then you would see less of it.

But alas, the league seems to want to get nostalgic lately and revive “old time hockey”...

Reactions: TMLeafs17

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
What does "It's the playoffs" attitude matter if you break a dude's hand? I broke my ankle playing basketball competitively when I was younger and it's sore everyday. An injury is an injury, and someone two handling another players hands like a lumberjack is a dangerous play. Rielly isn't clean and clear as we swung back, but it was more of a jab, while Marchand had serious backswing.

Yeah, so I had my freaking Femur broken on a cheapshot in a junior game at age 16. Dumbass legchecked me. He was 18 210lbs, I was 16 175lbs. It hurts, I have permanent knee problems. I had to have a growth plate fused ffs.

Sorry this post triggered me a bit.

I hate cheapshots I really do, if you go into Marchand threads you will find me condemning him when its bad and giving him the meh treatment when it's borderline.

I am not talking about that though, I even said in my post that I HATE the real cheapshots. Don't accuse me.

I do hate that silly nanny stuff is being whined about here though, Subban, Mcavoy, Marchand threads as evidenced today.

Edit: Btw I had 2 scholarships rescinded from the injury. So I feel you about the youth injury thing, I just wound up with a different outlook I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yeah, so I had my freaking Femur broken on a cheapshot in a junior game at age 16. Dumbass legchecked me. He was 18 210lbs, I was 16 175lbs. It hurts, I have permanent knee problems. I had to have a growth plate fused ffs.

Sorry this post triggered me a bit.

I hate cheapshots I really do, if you go into Marchand threads you will find me condemning him when its bad and giving him the meh treatment when it's borderline.

I am not talking about that though, I even said in my post that I HATE the real cheapshots. Don't accuse me.

I do hate that silly nanny stuff is being whined about here though, Subban, Mcavoy, Marchand threads as evidenced today.

Edit: Btw I had 2 scholarships rescinded from the injury. So I feel you about the youth injury thing, I just wound up with a different outlook I guess.

So if Marchand landed that slash on Rielly's wrist and it broke, why is that less bad than a guy leg checking you?

It's a dumb act meant to injury. You don't lumberjack someone because it tickles.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
So if Marchand landed that slash on Rielly's wrist and it broke, why is that less bad than a guy leg checking you?

It's a dumb act meant to injury. You don't lumberjack someone because it tickles.

It didn't land and that didn't happen so my panties aren't in a twist. I don't get my panties twisted over hypothetical results.

Plus he was aiming at his shin pad, we've all thrown that two hander before. Marchand seems to go to it too much for my liking though. Crosby on Methot a few years ago was much worse because he went right for the hands, which is not cool.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
HF Boards has gotten soft

Every ticky tack penalty seems to get a thread nowadays begging for a suspension. Give it a rest. This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You’re acting like soccer cry baby fans.

I support suspending players for illegal hits. But god damn give it a rest with all these threads. They’re usually minor penalties at most.

Let the boys play.
Were you peeking in on me?

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
Have you seen the responses in this thread? People are just a-ok with the nonsense that goes on with the trope "Hurr durr- gotta be tuff to play diss game!". But again self reflection is difficult for many people

What nonsense? We're 3-4 games into the playoffs, the only real nonsense I've seen so far is Kadri losing his mind in one game and he didn't garner many defenders

Maybe Doughty's hit on Carrier that got him a one game suspension? Were a lot of people defending Doughty?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It didn't land and that didn't happen so my panties aren't in a twist. I don't get my panties twisted over hypothetical results.

Plus he was aiming at his shin pad, we've all thrown that two hander before. Marchand seems to go to it too much for my liking though. Crosby on Methot a few years ago was much worse because he went right for the hands, which is not cool.

Oh okay. So it only matters if it lands. Interesting. Good thing he was aiming for his shin pad - a fractured kneecap definitely is better than wrist. It’s a nice way too look at life - you could drive around drunk on the sidewalk but if you don’t hit anyone, it’s only inethical hypothetically. Good thing you only deal in things that actually happen.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It comes down to safety vs. spirit of the game. Ideals clashing with reality. In universe where CTE doesn't exist and concussions heal like a broken bone we're all cheering for Stevens -esque (excepting Kariya- f***ing late) hits and not calling for suspensions. Absent the long term catastrophic harm to someones well being there's nothing against the spirit of hockey as many of us grew up with it or fundamentally wrong with "predatory" hits as long as they were within the rules. Opportunistically teeing off was an artform, balancing the reward against getting caught out position a skill. That was good hard hockey. But CTE does exist, players need to be protected, and fans are adapting to a game where rules and ideals no longer match up.

Reactions: Sleepy

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
HF Boards has gotten soft? Your only mistake is inferring there was a time when HF wasn't soft. HF Boards has always been soft. This is nothing new. Not everyone here is like this of course, but the majority of posters here are part of the anti-hitting, anti-fighting, anti-old school hockey brigade.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

Simply priceless.

This is such a straw man, it's ridiculous.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Oh okay. So it only matters if it lands. Interesting. Good thing he was aiming for his shin pad - a fractured kneecap definitely is better than wrist. It’s a nice way too look at life - you could drive around drunk on the sidewalk but if you don’t hit anyone, it’s only inethical hypothetically. Good thing you only deal in things that actually happen.

I think we just disagree on everything. I am sorry you need to reach to such extreme examples to prove any of your points. I find it pretty unnecessary, its a game bro.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013

Simply priceless.

I don’t think you took the time to read the post but just came to troll. Thanks for playing.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Every ticky tack penalty seems to get a thread nowadays begging for a suspension. Give it a rest. This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You’re acting like soccer cry baby fans.

I support suspending players for illegal hits. But god damn give it a rest with all these threads. They’re usually minor penalties at most.

Let the boys play.
Thank you, hear hear and amen!

There were actually more suspension threads than games after the first few days.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Also how people react to fights with negativity instead of excitement. I don't get that since all hockey is, is entertainment.

maybe people don't think two guys awkwardly taking swings at each others visors until they lose balance and fall is entertaining

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012

Let the boys play.
Exactly! Suspension here, suspension there, good thing these boards didn't exist during the 90's because people would claim suspensions on every single play.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Also a symptom of players not policing themselves.

It used to be that if an opposing team took liberties with one of your players, then you would expect your team to respond likewise.

Now they seem content to wait around for the refs or George Parros to exact justice.
The Leafs, for example, had Orr and Mclaren years ago and nobody would fight them outside of other goons. Players policing themselves was a myth. Guys like Marchand or Kadri aren't going to fight those types.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Let the boys play.

Believe it or not I was thinking of making this same thread--just worded differenting

this site is not soft but reactionary to every little thing

I call it the "me first" syndrome. Posters want to be "me first" to guess this player will be suspended or fined for ANY kind of hit

Reactions: Viqsi

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
The Leafs, for example, had Orr and Mclaren years ago and nobody would fight them outside of other goons. Players policing themselves was a myth. Guys like Marchand or Kadri aren't going to fight those types.
That' not always the way it worked. Ask Ray Ferraro, he said that when he was a douche, some player on his team would have to fight the other teams enforcer. He said that it changed the way he played the game.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
. Players policing themselves was a myth.

I am not talking about that.

I as a Sabre fan remember if someone touched LaFontaine or Hasek for example, someone on the opposing team would pay the price. There was no waiting for Gary Bettman to make things right as it was usually settled on the ice right there and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->