HF Boards has gotten soft

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Every ticky tack penalty seems to get a thread nowadays begging for a suspension. Give it a rest. This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You’re acting like soccer cry baby fans.

I support suspending players for illegal hits. But god damn give it a rest with all these threads. They’re usually minor penalties at most.

Let the boys play.

everyone just wants to be offended.. the victim.... etc

ignore it... modern society doesn't have the stomach for playoff hockey

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It's like people forgot what playoff hockey is. This isn't the regular season anymore folks. Different game and rules now, and it's always been that way. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's just always been this way. Don't know why or how anyone can be surprised. I think there have been some over-reactions, though, like the Hedman nut-shot. Sure it probably should get a fine, but it was hardly extreme or flagrantly violent. Can't go nuts over every play that is barely over the line.

Last edited:

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I wouldn't ever wish harm... but I'd cheer/like to see a big clean hit on player or him lose a fight...

I don't want to see concussions or broken bones, but not opposed to lost teeth or bloody nose if that makes sense...

Nothing serious but I guess a form of justice being dealt?
Oh it's a rough game, so what you say is spot on. I just am astonished when an (presumed) adult posts things like "like to see whoever taken out of the game, split his head open etc." Jesus, it's just a game people!!!

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Darcy Tucker/Tie Domi and Matt Cooke/Ulf Samuelsson from two of the fanbases that do much of the whining. Let that sink in.
Every team has had goons in their lineup at one point or another and every one of them has done something that people would deem suspension worthy.

And no, I haven’t seen Leafs and Pens fans doing most of the whining, it’s been Jets and Bruins fans for the most part...

When their team is winning, they puff their chests out and say things like “keep your head up son, this is the big leagues” when one of their players makes a questionable hit. Or if someone complains about the officiating, they are quick to tell them to stop whining about the calls, my team is just better. Deal with it.

But the minute their team starts losing or someone takes a run at one of their players, they jump up and down and scream and shout and call for suspensions and whine that the officials are letting the other team get away with everything while screwing them in the process.

Like clockwork, when the Wild were leading the Jets the other night, Winnipeg fans were hollering about “dirty” Foligno and claiming that the refs were letting the Wild get away with everything.

The Bs start losing to the Leafs and suddenly Boston fans are blaming the refs for everything and saying that the “dirty” Leafs get away with everything.

The Bolts start losing to the Devils and it’s the officiating and the “goon” Devils getting away with murder.

Any mention of the things that Marchand, Buff, Hedman, Subban, Perry, Wilson, etc does is met with the standard “quit whining, this is PLAYOFF hockey. Don’t like it, take up knitting”

The hypocrisy here is off the charts.

Reactions: Viqsi

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
It's like people forgot what playoff hockey is. This isn't the regular season anymore folks. Different game and rules now, and it's always been that way.
So the league only cares about headshots and dirty play in the regular season???

If someone had their career ended in the playoffs it’s ok?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It's like people forgot what playoff hockey is. This isn't the regular season anymore folks. Different game and rules now, and it's always been that way.

Yes we should also go back to segregated facilities too.
People forget what society used to be like. I mean, it's always been that way right?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Every team has had goons in their lineup at one point or another and every one of them has done something that people would deem suspension worthy.

And no, I haven’t seen Leafs and Pens fans doing most of the whining, it’s been Jets and Bruins fans for the most part...

When their team is winning, they puff their chests out and say things like “keep your head up son, this is the big leagues” when one of their players makes a questionable hit. Or if someone complains about the officiating, they are quick to tell them to stop whining about the calls, my team is just better. Deal with it.

But the minute their team starts losing or someone takes a run at one of their players, they jump up and down and scream and shout and call for suspensions and whine that the officials are letting the other team get away with everything while screwing them in the process.

Like clockwork, when the Wild were leading the Jets the other night, Winnipeg fans were hollering about “dirty” Foligno and claiming that the refs were letting the Wild get away with everything.

The Bs start losing to the Leafs and suddenly Boston fans are blaming the refs for everything and saying that the “dirty” Leafs get away with everything.

The Bolts start losing to the Devils and it’s the officiating and the “goon” Devils getting away with murder.

Any mention of the things that Marchand, Buff, Hedman, Subban, Perry, Wilson, etc does is met with the standard “quit whining, this is PLAYOFF hockey. Don’t like it, take up knitting”

The hypocrisy here is off the charts.

Those 4 players usually land in the 25 dirtiest players of all time however. Ulf and Cooke are top 10 for sure, maybe Domi as well.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I've been on this forum for 7 years and I can tell you that it has never been more "keep your head up, toughen up pansies, this is hockey not basketball" has never been a more common response to dirty plays than it is now.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
Yes we should also go back to segregated facilities too.
People forget what society used to be like. I mean, it's always been that way right?

Do you really think that that is a good comparison? That hard, physical, borderline play (aka playoffs hockey) is akin to segregation?

Not everything about 'the way things were' was bad, most of it was actually not bad, whether we're talking about the way sports games were played or the way society functioned, or the way anything was anything. Some of it was bad just the way some things today are bad.

Fights are way down from the past, injuries resulting from hits *seem* to be down too, of course as the amount of questionable play has declined so has the standard for what is questionable play gone down too. Drama is still a necessary thing so people get dramatic over things they wouldn't have before.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I've been on this forum for 7 years and I can tell you that it has never been more "keep your head up, toughen up pansies, this is hockey not basketball" has never been a more common response to dirty plays than it is now.
Those 4 players usually land in the 25 dirtiest players of all time however. Ulf and Cooke are top 10 for sure, maybe Domi as well.

Should I mention Chris Simon?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Do you really think that that is a good comparison? That hard, physical, borderline play (aka playoffs hockey) is akin to segregation?

Not everything about 'the way things were' was bad, most of it was actually not bad, whether we're talking about the way sports games were played or the way society functioned, or the way anything was anything. Some of it was bad just the way some things today are bad.

Fights are way down from the past, injuries resulting from hits *seem* to be down too, of course as the amount of questionable play has declined so has the standard for what is questionable play gone down too. Drama is still a necessary thing so people get dramatic over things they wouldn't have before.

Do you really think we should continue to remain ignorant after evidence has been presented to an advanced society, that needlessly getting hit in the brain is not good for long term health?

No one is against hard physical hockey. Hockey is inherently a contact sport and you'll never eliminate coincidental collisions. What's occurring isn't "incidental". What non neanderthal fans want is for this garbage to be eliminated or reduced and the league has the means to do so. In fact during Shanahan's reign of the DOPS, there was a period of fear amongst the ranks that they'd get the "Shanaban" if they didn't keep their sticks and elbows down. Funny how long this period of enlightenment lasted when you have dinosaurs roaming the league...

Just like it was a bit of a culture shock and adjustment to put your seatbelt on before you drove anywhere. And like I'm sure it was a culture shock for people to see members of different races in their bathrooms, society adjusts to new norms. And I'm sure fans and the upstanding citizens of HF boards will adjust too...

But "we've always done it this way" is a lazy approach to a complicated issue. So people just agree to shrug their shoulders because change is hard and people generally choose the path of least resistance.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Yep, violence is the only way to live an entertaining life.

Why, in fact I just finished lifting a bunch of weights, kinda pissed me off. I think I'm gonna go and punch some dudes in the face to make myself really seem like a tuff guy.

Don't wanna be called "soft" or nothin'

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
everyone just wants to be offended.. the victim.... etc

ignore it... modern society doesn't have the stomach for playoff hockey
There's a certain irony in this observation, given that the thread in which it's made is borne of folks being offended at "softness".

How about we address the real issues - that 1) concussions are much worse than we imagined and 2) people are being hardnosed hypocritical partisan jackasses about their teams - and leave the rest alone, eh?

CamMac

Jan 3, 2015
Have to love the ridiculous straw men being set up by some posters on this thread.

"Oh, so you think people should not freak out over the physicality of playoff hockey, well lets just bring back 50's style racism and assault random people on the street."

Genius..

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Have to love the ridiculous straw men being set up by some posters on this thread.

"Oh, so you think people should not freak out over the physicality of playoff hockey, well lets just bring back 50's style racism and assault random people on the street."

Genius..
...source? Haven't seen anything even approximating that in this thread.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
Do you really think we should continue to remain ignorant after evidence has been presented to an advanced society, that needlessly getting hit in the brain is not good for long term health?

Who is remaining ignorant, again, fights are down, and bad hits that cause injuries, especially head injuries, seem to be down as well.

No one is against hard physical hockey. Hockey is inherently a contact sport and you'll never eliminate coincidental collisions. What's occurring isn't "incidental". What non neanderthal fans want is for this garbage to be eliminated or reduced and the league has the means to do so. In fact during Shanahan's reign of the DOPS, there was a period of fear amongst the ranks that they'd get the "Shanaban" if they didn't keep their sticks and elbows down. Funny how long this period of enlightenment lasted when you have dinosaurs roaming the league...

So you're just going to throw out insulting names and not provide a real argument. Okay.

Just like it was a bit of a culture shock and adjustment to put your seatbelt on before you drove anywhere. And like I'm sure it was a culture shock for people to see members of different races in their bathrooms, society adjusts to new norms. And I'm sure fans and the upstanding citizens of HF boards will adjust too...

Again with the weird and inapt comparisons. And it is counterproductive to dictate rather than discuss, which is precisely what you are doing. 'This is the way it is, it's progress, just get used to it you neanderthals.' Yeah that rarely works.

But "we've always done it this way" is a lazy approach to a complicated issue. So people just agree to shrug their shoulders because change is hard and people generally choose the path of least resistance.

Your approach is lazy. Thinking that people are setting the standard for questionable play too low is not the same thing as wanting to go back to Tie Domi/Matt Cooke/whoever days. Dictating like there is no reasonable position on the issue save yours. That is lazy.

Reactions: CamMac

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Its always been like this, its less about being soft and more about wanting players/teams that you don't like to be punished/suffer. Who doesn't enjoy the schadenfreude of an opponent losing a game because their key player had to miss due to suspension?
This is part of it too. But I do think the concussions thing has made an imprint on many fans. Which is right, I think. But I’d just say those fans should differentiate between the truly dangerous hits and the agitating ones that aren’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad