HF Board draft day predictions

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
What we will see on this board by Saturday evening:
1. Colton Gillies goes higher than many posters here think he should. Fans of the team that drafts him say they want to "jump off a cliff" and that "all the scouts should be fired" etc.
Five years later Gillies is their avatar.

2. Logan Couture, wherever he's picked, is called a steal by that team's fans. They'll say, "The scouts hadn't factored in the fact that he had mono"- although, oddly, all the armchair HF scouts have.

3. Two U.S.-based high school players who have not yet been noted on any mock draft or top 30 rankings on HF are picked in the 1st round. The teams who pick them are lambasted by their fans for wasting the pick because "We could have had that guy in the 2nd or 3rd round" although in reality about 10 teams were ready to pounce on those players with their next picks.

4. Someone will say, "Why did Alex Plante go so low? He's huge and had good stats!".

5. Some mediocre CHL player who has been on the scouts' radar for years, and was once a hot prospect but really hasn't shown much improvement since. is called a steal by some HF posters when he goes in 4th or 5th round. What those fans don't realize is that he had completely fallen off most NHL teams' draft lists and those teams are actually snickering at the pick.

6. Someone will say "I knew (name team here) would take (name player here) in the 4th round!"- as if they knew exactly who would be taken in the 100 or so picks before their "matching" pick came up.

7. Someone will ask why Aliu went so low- "After all he had a great prospects' game!"

8. Individual and full team selections will be determind as "sharp" or "stupid" completely in relation to where any of CSS/ISS/McKeen's/Redline had players ranked- and without regard to what their club actually thought of the players. (Many HF posters would clearly like their team to follow a scouting service's rankings even if it meant their team drafting a guy they had rated 120th overall in the 2nd round).

Last edited:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
9. The Red Wings will pick some almost unheard of kid from Sweden, Finland, Czech or Russia in the mid to late rounds. Five years from now, he'll be one of their top players, probably with an "A" on his chest to boot.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Actually I was talking about HF board response predictions, not actual draft predictions. For example:

10. A bunch of HF posters say that "this draft has been full of surprises"- which shouldn't surprise anyone because the same thing is said here every year. (Too many people seem to think it's going to turn out just one or two picks off of ISS/McKeen's mocks).

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The 2007 weak draft will turn into one of the strongest after being reviewed 5 years from now.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
A new one- As we get closer to the draft (and during the draft) the more bizarre and uninformed the comments on HF boards will be:
"No way will the Habs not choose David Perron with their next pick". "What! They chose Will Weber? Who is he? Idiots!".

time

Feb 26, 2005
My predictions:

No matter where Bill Sweatt gets picked, dozens of posters will be shocked that he went "so low".

When Kane gets passed up for #1, everyone will scold Chicago for being so stupid -- just like they did when the Blackhawks picked Toews.

Finally, within two hours of the draft, someone will ignite a nationalistic flame war -- only the Danes and Swiss will stay neutral.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
This draft will follow the mold of the 1983 draft of being labelled "weak" and end up bearing some great players like Cam Neely (oddly, Sam Gagners father was drafted in that draft as well).

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This draft will follow the mold of the 1983 draft of being labelled "weak" and end up bearing some great players like Cam Neely (oddly, Sam Gagners father was drafted in that draft as well).

That's 1 great player. ;)

I think Cherepanov will fall, and then become a "steal" in the eyes of the fans of his new team.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Gary Bettman will get ripped for an admittedly lame but good natured joke meant for the home crowd of Columbus.

He gets booed everywhere....I still remember last year when he got booed repeatedly at the podium, except when he had a trade to announce....haha....his quote "oh, so now your cheering...." still makes me laugh:biglaugh:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

I think Yzerman was 83 and he turned out alright as well!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Several minutes after the draft concludes, dozens of armchair scouts will start tell everyone who won or lost the draft. Several others will probably start by the end of the second round.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
- Sabres fans will call dibs on any German player in the draft.

- A mass riot will occur on the Leafs board no matter who they take.

- Someone will say, "I didn't know Bettman was that short."

- Post-pick interviews will determine how good the pick is in the eyes of HFers.

- When Bettman announces "we have a trade to announce," the board will crash. When it's Ben Guite for a 6th in 2008, it will uncrash.

- The moderators will merge 86 threads about the same trade, all started by "the guy who wanted to get it first."

- Someone will have conclusive evidence as to why Bettman needs to go based on his speech and his demeanor throughout the 1st round.

- It will be common knowledge that "team x" had the best draft. Central Scouting and hearsay is never wrong.

-
180px-Bettman-chan.jpg

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Gary Bettman is assasinated when he announces all Canadian teams have been relocated to a small island of the coast of Florida.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
No matter who the Canucks pick, there's always going to be a better player available which will piss off every Canucks fan, and two years from now the player that was not picked by the Canucks will get 61 points in 72 games and all Canucks fans will be like "ugh dejavu"

Also I predict a trade will occur that every HF user says is lopsided

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Habs board will be ugly. Either Espo will be a Hab and fans will say oh no Mike Ribeiro part 2, aside from the fact that Espo is a great skater and actually fast unlike Mikey Ribs. Espo won't be a Hab and fans will say oh no stupid Gainey missed on a local superstar. Either way it's not looking good for Gainey, he can't win either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->